Gibson Brands Forums

Show us your Les Paul Guitars

4Hayden

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sort of a plain top isnt it? First one I seen that was. Very cool ones , the OCD in me always wants to fix the tone knob. msp_crying.gif

Yes it is a plain top....that's what I like about it. Not into too much flame, so it was a nice find for me as I have been on the lookout for a nice plain top for awhile. Is the boost adjustable or only set at 15db? I've seen the mod you did D Ray....sweet. I may end up doing the same.

Being from the late 70s and early 80s I to like Plain Tops. We just dont see them much anymore I registered my first Les Paul Classic in maybe 98? Back then we were still mailing in the registration. Mine was a plain top cherry sunburst. They only had four left when I went up there to get one, they had some honey burst and vintage burst but when I went back with money they only had four Cherry Sunbursts left, all Plain Tops.

10150710_4038438296074_8567599757943967162_n.jpg?oh=db7f6d0d240b770bc60f289842862ea3&oe=552326B3&__gda__=1428841138_48c77ce29d02eb3d5761194d2482b70f

I liked them because they seemed more right to me. They had ABR-1 bridges like my first Plain Top had, a tobacco sunburst early 70s Standard.

10847872_4839402239672_9028165258416270244_n.jpg?oh=ed32cee694fb3f30a428d7e076b58e6f&oe=5530A0EF

Damn!!! That's a nice one d ray.... [drool]

Snap! My granadillo is a fair bit lighter than yours however:

IMG_9005.jpg

Yes, it is - or "was" - I should say.. I had to return mine because when I took it in to my tech for a setup, he promptly told me that the nut was so badly cut that he would have to remove it and put a new nut in - and that he couldn't guarantee it would ever look the same with the paint in that area. He also told me that the frets were very uneven - and that it badly needed a fret job. (I trust this long-time tech of mine, by the way..)

So, back it went. And unfortunately, MF couldn't exchange it for a different one because they were all out of the Alpine White ones (as well as the ebony), so I just returned it. :(

Yes, it is - or "was" - I should say.. I had to return mine because when I took it in to my tech for a setup, he promptly told me that the nut was so badly cut that he would have to remove it and put a new nut in - and that he couldn't guarantee it would ever look the same with the paint in that area. He also told me that the frets were very uneven - and that it badly needed a fret job. (I trust this long-time tech of mine, by the way..)

So, back it went. And unfortunately, MF couldn't exchange it for a different one because they were all out of the Alpine White ones (as well as the ebony), so I just returned it. :(

I like whitey

That's a shame buddy :( Makes you wonder how it got through QC with flaws as major as that :(

That's a shame buddy :( Makes you wonder how it got through QC with flaws as major as that :(

Yeah, it really bummed me out when my tech told me that. I knew the guitar had a problem with the A and low E strings buzzing, but I just assumed it was a minor setup problem - or that those particular nut slots needed filing down a tad or something like that.. But my tech told me different. The frets were all uneven as well, evidently, and the guitar badly needed a fret job.

My tech was surprised that the guitar even left the factory in the condition it was in. Gibson QC seems to be slipping quite a bit lately..

Archived