Gibson Brands Forums

Strings on J45

moiso

No such thing as 'correct' when it comes to strings - as long as you don't put nylons on your western and vice versa.

If the 13-56 bronze sounds and feel good on the 45 then yeps.

But try different types and brands as you go, Masterbuilts, Martins, DR's, NewTones etc. - it's a part of the fun. .

Enjoy - and welcome

No such thing as 'correct' when it comes to strings - as long as you don't put nylons on your western and vice versa.

If the 13-56 bronze sounds and feel good on the 45 then yeps.

But try different types and brands as you go, Masterbuilts, Martins, DR's, NewTones etc. - it's a part of the fun. .

Enjoy - and welcome

The question is also routed if I have problems with the saddle and the sixth string.

Except for the ball-end windings, I think the J-200 strings are the same as Masterbuilt Premiums. Those .013's are medium gauge, which are heavier than the .012's that most people use on a J-45. If it's a newer guitar, they should be fine for the guitar structurally, but they are a bit stiffer than .012's, and can be a bit harder on the hands.

Anyone use Elixir's?? Opinion I know I have some on a Taylor but wondered about the boom affect they might not have? if that makes any sense.

I have Elixirs on mine at the minute. nanoweb . 80/20's this time .

They are definately louder than a lot of strings.

nice for fingers , a little muddy when strummed hard with a pick.

Anyone use Elixir's?? Opinion I know I have some on a Taylor but wondered about the boom affect they might not have? if that makes any sense.

I have Elixirs on mine,I like them over DR'S and Martin Clapton's choice. I want to experiment with Pearses 80/20. Yup, its part of te fun

I put the new HD Lights on my J-45 and love them...light-gauge bass strings, a .25 G string, then medium gauge trebles. Maintains the bass "thump" but allows the trebles to really ring put when strumming without breaking up.

I put the new HD Lights on my J-45 and love them...light-gauge bass strings, a .25 G string, then medium gauge trebles. Maintains the bass "thump" but allows the trebles to really ring put when strumming witou breaking up.

HD's are what I use as well. keep trying other strings only to realize the HD's are hard to beat.

Mediums seem to work best on my J-200. I tried EJ-16's and they were way to "thin" sounding.

I am now trying various mediums on my J-200. I use to use EJ-17's on all my guitars, but on the advice of many here, have begun experimenting.

When I got my J-15 it had 80/20 lights on it. I am on the third set of them on it. I wanted plenty of play time with them. Never used 80/20's that I can recall. I love the sound of the J-15 with them on it. I wll now begin the experiment. Looking at trying John Pearse 80/20 lights next.

I like lights on my other guitars now. Used to always use mediums.

As with all guitars, you should experiment with many different strings on your guitar. I normally keep Gibson Masterbuilt lights on my J45. I wouldn't hesitate to put Martins or D'Addario's on it. It comes down to what you want from the guitar so get 6 different strings from Elixir, Martin, D'Addario, Gibson (and there are many others) sit down for a couple of weeks of experimentation. Install the strings, play them in for a week, take notes and record the results and at the end of 6 weeks of excellent guitar time, you may see that you prefer one string over another. This allows you to really connect with your guitar, get in some quality time playing and, in the end, you will have the satisfaction of knowing WHY you are playing a specific string set.

Archived