Gibson Brands Forums

Carry a Les Paul into a Gigbag

awel

Hi,

I have a question, with my band I need 3 guitars, my main Les Paul, a Tele tuned to Open G, and normally my strat so to avoid all the cases, I have bought a double gibag easyest to carry when I go to practice.

I am thinking to replace the strat by my other Les Paul, but in order to keep the same transport structure, the double gigbag and one guitare case, I am thinking to put a Les Paul in the gigbag.

Does anyone already carry a Les Paul in a gigbag (I know some comes originally with one, like the studio, special ...)? Any advices?

I am a bit scared because I have heard so many story about fragility of the headstock that I don't know if I will dare [unsure]

Hello Awel!

I'd be afraid to put any of my Gibsons into a gigbag. Especially, in the climate conditions Your country has.

What about a double flight-case?

Cheers... Bence

I am not aware of double flight-case and the problem is that if you start talking about professional flight-case then it starts to weight a lot :(

The cool thing with the double gigbag on your back is that you have your 2 hands free to carry something else.

Better safe than sorry , I always use a hard shell case HTH

That's my feeling too, but I wanted to check here if someone already did and which cautions they have taken if so (loosen strings, put shirt inside ...)

I am not aware of double flight-case and the problem is that if you start talking about professional flight-case then it starts to weight a lot :(

The cool thing with the double gigbag on your back is that you have your 2 hands free to carry something else.

Want to sell your 1991 Robin USA Custom ?

Want to sell your 1991 Robin USA Custom ?

? no, she is part of my musician life, I have tried it in 93 at my local shop but I was teenager and have no money, and one day I came back home and my parents did me a surprise and they put it in my room, I couldn't believe it, my parents should have done some sacrifices to be able to buy it for me.

But I am surprised that someone else than myself still remember this brand, that has disapeared now I think :)

Top quality guitars, I have one, and one of my best friend still has one as well.

How does your other gear get to rehearsal or gigs? I'd go for a hard case every time. But you can get soft cases now.

Hi lashurst,

Like I said, I am using it to carry my 2 Fenders, but I was wandering if I could use it to carry the Les Paul std, for sure the black beauty will stay in case :)

I wouldn't have too much worry carrying a pair of Fenders in a gig-bag as they are effectively flat-plane instruments.

Placed 'back-to-back' and suitably protected the necks wouldn't interfere with each other.

Worst-case-scenario; if a neck DOES get broken then a replacement can be obtained for a reasonable financial outlay.

A Les Paul, OTOH, with the inherent neck and h'stock pitches is a completely different matter.

There's no way I'd risk a Les Paul in a gig-bag unless it (the LP) was the only thing I had to look after. I wouldn't even be comfortable laying it down.

Unlike the Fenders a broken neck/h'stock on a LP would require attention from a highly skilled luthier.

Additionally the instrument would be devalued to a considerable degree.

It might also be damaged beyond repair.

IMO the risk is simply too great to even consider using a single gig-bag for a Gibson - let alone a double gig-bag.

P.

I wouldn't have too much worry carrying a pair of Fenders in a gig-bag as they are effectively flat-plane instruments.

Placed 'back-to-back' and suitably protected the necks wouldn't interfere with each other.

Worst-case-scenario; if a neck DOES get broken then a replacement can be obtained for a reasonable financial outlay.

A Les Paul, OTOH, with the inherent neck and h'stock pitches is a completely different matter.

There's no way I'd risk a Les Paul in a gig-bag unless it (the LP) was the only thing I had to look after. I wouldn't even be comfortable laying it down.

Unlike the Fenders a broken neck/h'stock on a LP would require attention from a highly skilled luthier.

Additionally the instrument would be devalued to a considerable degree.

It might also be damaged beyond repair.

IMO the risk is simply too great to even consider using a single gig-bag for a Gibson - let alone a double gig-bag.

P.

Hi Pippy,

I am thinking the same but I was wondering if someone dare :)

So I am afraid I will have to do more travels car-rehearsal studio / car-stage

that reminds me I have to open another topics about all in one amp system / modelisation or valve with effects included :)

I have this situation fairly often. I may have a job that requires a jazzbox, a electric guitar and a classical for the same program/session. I will carry one in the hardcase and two in gig bags.

The L-5 always goes in a hardcase or roadcase, the classical always goes in a gig bag, so that leaves the "electric" also in a gig bag. This guitar is usually my ES-345, or may be a Strat or Les Paul.

With the angled headstock, the key to putting a Gibson in a gig bag is to do it FACE DOWN! With the string side down, the strings create a flat, smooth plane for laying down or backpacking, and also serve to protect the face of the guitar. This, of course, puts the angle of the headstock upward.

I learned the "upside down" trick when helping a friend move his retail music store. He had rented a 30' box truck, and instead of casing all the guitars (just to un-case them on the other end to hang them back on the display walls), he had me cover them bottom of the truck with packing blankets, and them just lay all the guitars down on their faces. Although I did refuse to actually drive the truck across town, the truckload of guitars did arrive in good order.

The Gibson gig bags that came with my SG special and classic are angled nicely to accommodate the head stocks. I've used them often with no problems. I always treat a gig bag as if I were carrying the guitar uncased - in other words I don't expect it to protect as a hard case would. As long as YOU are the one handling your guitars and they are not being stacked with other gear you'll be fine.

I have this situation fairly often. I may have a job that requires a jazzbox, a electric guitar and a classical for the same program/session. I will carry one in the hardcase and two in gig bags.

The L-5 always goes in a hardcase or roadcase, the classical always goes in a gig bag, so that leaves the "electric" also in a gig bag. This guitar is usually my ES-345, or may be a Strat or Les Paul.

With the angled headstock, the key to putting a Gibson in a gig bag is to do it FACE DOWN! With the string side down, the strings create a flat, smooth plane for laying down or backpacking, and also serve to protect the face of the guitar. This, of course, puts the angle of the headstock upward.

I learned the "upside down" trick when helping a friend move his retail music store. He had rented a 30' box truck, and instead of casing all the guitars (just to un-case them on the other end to hang them back on the display walls), he had me cover them bottom of the truck with packing blankets, and them just lay all the guitars down on their faces. Although I did refuse to actually drive the truck across town, the truckload of guitars did arrive in good order.

Interresting but knowing that the achilis tendon of Gibson is the headstock, with the face down and so reverse angle of the headstock, this one should be in an even more sensible situation, isn't it?

The headstock is most sensitive to impacts from the rear or to an instrument drop on its front. If the headstock is additionally charged by the weight of the guitar, it is even more endangered by a possible drop on its back.

Headstocks are sensitive to external forces as well as to their own inertial force.

When I'm transporting guitars or basses in a car, they are tuned correctly, and their cases are standing on their long side edges. In case I have to lay instrument cases flat, I do this to maple neck instruments with flat headstocks only, e. g. Fenders, and with the tops up.

I think for the most part, you already know the answer to this.

L5LARRY makes some good suggestions and it works for him (obviously). But the MAIN point about his solutions is the important thing is WHERE you are going to put the guitars, where they will be, where you will keep them.

You know good and well a gig bag will NOT protect the headstock from breaking. Fenders are fine because they can fall over, get stepped on, leaned on, whatever, and they will almost always be fine in a bag because it's mostly dings and scratches. I've tossed them in cases toward the front of the truck and stacked stuff on top of them in cases and felt fine. I wouldn't toss a Gibby even in a case.

For whatever stage or band situation, there is more to think about (as you obviously know) than just transport. Theft? Space. Who is watching what if at all. Space in the car or van or whatever.

Personally, I have slipped a Gibby in the double bag a few times. But if I wanted to make it a part of my standard rig, I think it would be easier to get and use a good case and make the extra trip rather than worry about where it is going to be stored or who is watching it or where I could put it.

You already know all this. You know where your guitars go, how many times they have fallen over, how to stuff your car, etc.

If the question is "How can I transport my Gibby in a bag like a Fender and not possibly break the headstock?"...sorry dude.

I do on a regular basis in fact probably half the time although my gig bag is a heavy leather monster called a Arizona Arena case according to the tag it's stiff well designed well padded and I would guess in a drop test it would hold up just as well as a hard case if not better. I like it because it looks goos and has a few pockets and has enough straps and connectors you can carry it a hell of a lot easier than a hard case with just a handle on top. although I also put d hooks on many of my hard cases so i can clip a leather strap to them and make it allot easier to carry several go them at the same time too.

And my final point on this topic is I don't understand the panic on gibbon's being so weak hell there a fine instrument and need to be taken care of but there not glass. Ive broken two gibson guitar necks over the last forty years and more guitars then I can count. Ive also had one run over by a truck, one shot twice, and other mishaps that have done various amounts of damage and honestly so what that's part of using them in the real real world and the two I broke still played fine and honestly one was even better looking after wards with a good luthier finishing the neck properly t looked and felt as good or bette then new and actually intonated a bit better. Hard cases are not the holy grail hell there actually pretty poorly made and the false since of security is sometimes the cause for more severe damage in the first place. and the cases that come with the guitar are not even good cases. If your flying get a flight case in your one the road get a road case that hold all your guitars and if you love your guitar get it a better case anyway like a custom made Armitage or Calton or even a cedar creek at least then there padded well and made to really fit. I mean everyone talks about how fragile they are well how many have actually broke one?

... I don't understand the panic on gibbon's being so weak hell there a fine instrument and need to be taken care of but there not glass. ... If your flying get a flight case in your one the road get a road case that hold all your guitars and if you love your guitar get it a better case anyway like a custom made Armitage or Calton or even a cedar creek at least then there padded well and made to really fit. I mean everyone talks about how fragile they are well how many have actually broke one?

Three of the eight of my former and actual guitar or bass playing bandmates snapped off one headstock each. It was about three Gibson SGs, two of them damaged by the owner oneself, the third by the band bassist. All of them SGs were standing plugged in on stage in a guitar stand during soundcheck.

None of my guitars ever broke. You may call me overcautious, but I simply don't leave a guitar or bass plugged in on a stand, regardless if active like all of my hybrids, or passive.

Ok, thank you all for your opinions that comfort what I was thinking, so sometimes I guess we should be really in love with Gibson's sound because we have to admit that from maintability point of view, Fender'are easyest instrument. But even if I won't sell my Fender's, I definitively in love with my Gibson's (thanks Mr. Moore, Mr. Green, Clapton's Beano album ...):)

PS: just for your info, I'm not a rookie, I am playing live since more than 20 years but I just wanna you to share your personnal experience on that topic, until now I always carry my Gibson's in their cases but I was looking for an easy way to carry stuff for live gigs.

I think this all is not about Fender versus Gibson, but neck timbers and headstock angles making certain differences.

One of my Fenders has a set mahogany neck and therefore calls for more care despite of having no headstock angle. Bearing the string tension at a parallel offset isn't that easy, too.

Some of my Gibsons have maple necks with angled headstocks, and the angle will still call for awareness despite of wood.

In general mahogany is considered to be more sensitive than maple. This doesn't mean one may treat maple carelessly.

Archived