Gibson Brands Forums

Maker of strings

4Hayden

Other than the classical guitar strings, you generally don't find them at your average big box store. I used to have a local Mom & Pop Shop order them in for me, but... it eventually became easier, more economical, and more timely, to just order them off the web.

Here's where I get mine:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/

Thanks for this Larry! Nice alternative to Just Strings!

Brian

• 8 months later...

I've had my SG for a little over a year and a half. Still haven't found THE strings yet. DR seems to be my favorite so far. Tried some GHS,Ernie Ball and couple others. I tried some Elixers on my Strat but they just felt weird. My Strat gets Super Bullets. Gauges I either go 9 or 10 on either guitar. Getting a Lester soon. Not sure what's going on that one yet. But it will be restrung the minute I get it home. Factory strings feel terrible

... Factory strings feel terrible

Mostly, but not always. One Gibson SG of mine came with Gibson Brite Wires, and my Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus had similarly bright sounding strings stock. Their tone felt like home to me. I mainly replaced them to go for heavier gauge. However, I replace the pure nickel wound stuff common on new guitars in an instant.

...whatever is cheapest...

I once bought a few sets of the D'addario Pro Steels that are supposed to sound bright longer than the XL-range... Nonsense. Made no difference.

So recently bought a few sets of Dunlop strings, saved me a couple of €.

e

• 2 weeks later...

...whatever is cheapest...

I once bought a few sets of the D'addario Pro Steels that are supposed to sound bright longer than the XL-range... Nonsense. Made no difference.

So recently bought a few sets of Dunlop strings, saved me a couple of €.

e

Cheap strings isn't the way to go , they won't last as long or hold tone

4H

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I like cheap strings if they 'deliver'.....

And my favourite online supplier...'Strings Direct' has a very cheap 'own brand' range which are way above other 'cheap and cheerful' offerings.... [thumbup]

Otherwise Newtone in Northern England wind their own extensive range from guitar through banjo, lap steel, tenor guitar etc etc

At very reasonable prices.... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

D'Addario and sometimes Gibson on the Acoustics, and GHS, Fender (on Tele/Strats), & going to try Gretsch (on some of the Gretsch gits).

Vote on my Poll about string brightness (Acoustic forum) and chime in.

Aster

• 1 month later...

I have tried most of the major manufacturer's strings over the years: Gibson, Ernie Ball, DR, Dean Markley, Elixir and GHS Boomers. I was not happy with any of them for a variety of reasons. For the past 10 years or so, I have used D'Addario EXL-110s and have never looked back. (Although I recently bought some EXL-110W- wound G string to experiment.). My 5 Gibsons are all stop bar tail piece models with either a TOM or ABR bridge. My non-Gibson guitars are 25.5" scale length, have TOM bridges and string-thru bodies. I use the EXL-110-7 strings on my 7 string ESP/Ltd with a 25.5" scale length with TOM and string-thru body (B standard or Drop A tuning). I also use D'Addario EXL165s on my basses. I like the feel of the D'Addarios and they last a long time.

• 2 months later...

Although I've recently had problems with bulk packs from Gibson (see my separate thread on this), I've been a long-term user of Gibson Brite Wires. Their .010-.046's seem to tension well on any of my guitars, regardless of scale (22.5" - 25.5" scale), and they last forever! My go-to favorite Strat has been wearing it's original set for seven years.

Archived