Gibson Brands Forums

First Vintage guitar

baimo

Bought my first vintage acoustic. A 1958 J-50. And although I have a few really nice martins including a D-41 and OM-18 Authentic, I think this is my favorite acoustic. Just plays and sounds great. The original case is not very good so I bought a new J-45 case(not pictured) to use. Ihave the original tuners but the previous owners put these on for smoother tuning. I will take some good pictures but I snapped these quickly with my cellphone

16035276956_392602c032_z.jpg16061056185_8427b74632_z.jpg16035276976_69e89d9970_z.jpg

bakmo: Congrats on the new acquisition. I note in the pictures, the Adjustable Bridge/Saddle - and you love the tone - have a J-50 ADJ that i just acquired and am also thrilled with the sound. How did you come upon this one? Looks to be in excellent shape.

I have the same ADJ saddle on my '68 Kalamazoo. I thought about changing it out to a bone setup, but really, it sounds great. Obviously it would sound marginally better, but it was Gobson, not Norlin who invented them. Those old time luthiers would have protested if they were complete junk. I like the tone well enough to keep it, for a few more years. If I en up with an extra wad of cash, I'll do it.

I really like Your J-50 a lot.

I have the same ADJ saddle on my '68 Kalamazoo. I thought about changing it out to a bone setup, but really, it sounds great. Obviously it would sound marginally better, but it was Gobson, not Norlin who invented them. Those old time luthiers would have protested if they were complete junk. I like the tone well enough to keep it, for a few more years. If I en up with an extra wad of cash, I'll do it.

In 1965 for the first time in the company's history, the shots were being called by bean counters and not guys who knew how to build guitars for a living. Two Gibson presidents in a row who did no like the way things were being done were forced out

If the case in the pic is the one that came with the guitar I do not think it is an original supplied by Gibson nor is a case from the 1950s. Those cases that were supplied with Gibson in the 1950s go for some decent money - $300 to $350 in nice shape so it is not uncommon to find sellers not including the original case and selling it separately.

While I do have a bunch of old cases, I feel safer keeping my guitars in newer ones as they often afford the guitar better protection than the originals when out and about.

Archived