Gibson Brands Forums: Maple slopes - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Maple slopes

#1 User is offline   Jinder 

  • Every one a Gibsonite!
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1668
  • Joined: 02-January 08
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

I've been haunted for years by the memory of a couple of great Maple slopes I played ten years or so ago.

Firstly a limited edition Maple J45...amazing guitar with huge bass and articulate chiming top end.

Secondly, a Maple AJ which was just KILLER. As I said in a previous thread, this guitar could give you a haircut and kick your feet out from under you at the same time. Hugely loud, lemony trebles and a dark chocolate bottom end. Articulate as hell, lyrical all the way when flatpicked or played with fingers. Thick, biting lead tone too.

Is anyone else here a fan of Maple slopes? I need to add one to my arsenal soon methinks!
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
2011 Dove
1990 Hummingbird
1967 J45
2014 SJ100 1941 Reissue
2014 Epiphone IB '64 Texan
2001 Epiphone EL-00 (early L1 shape model)
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1978 Hohner Leyanda 12 String
1998 Fender Classic Series '60s RI Telecaster

#######
www.jinder.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jindermusic
0

#2 User is offline   OldCowboy 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2929
  • Joined: 06-February 16
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

Yes and me, too, I wish😏
0

#3 User is offline   fp 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 711
  • Joined: 02-January 08

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

View PostJinder, on 18 June 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

I've been haunted for years by the memory of a couple of great Maple slopes I played ten years or so ago.

Firstly a limited edition Maple J45...amazing guitar with huge bass and articulate chiming top end.

Secondly, a Maple AJ which was just KILLER. As I said in a previous thread, this guitar could give you a haircut and kick your feet out from under you at the same time. Hugely loud, lemony trebles and a dark chocolate bottom end. Articulate as hell, lyrical all the way when flatpicked or played with fingers. Thick, biting lead tone too.

Is anyone else here a fan of Maple slopes? I need to add one to my arsenal soon methinks!


I've got one for sale listed at the UMGF. It's one I built.
0

#4 User is offline   Tman 

  • Here most days
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 3343
  • Joined: 09-April 10
  • LocationThe Coast

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:05 PM

I played a Maple AJ. It was amazing, as you said.
0

#5 User is offline   J-1854Me 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1074
  • Joined: 17-August 10

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:17 PM

Hey Jinder.

Big fan here! I have a quilted maple under red spruce Southern Jumbo from 2007. Love it!

Posted Image

Posted Image

It was built by Val Bolitho when she was at the Custom Shop.

It's one of the more stable recent Bozeman guitars I have. Sounds great, looks great.

Fred
0

#6 User is offline   fortyearspickn 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2929
  • Joined: 28-December 07
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:01 AM

If I ever write a song about "Boot Camp", I'm going to borrow that line.....
"Give you a haircut and kick your feet out from under you."
SJ200 2004
H'Bird TV 2010
J45 Custom Koa 2013
0

#7 User is offline   Willie King 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 163
  • Joined: 27-April 15

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:32 AM

I have an older friend who has a a thirties maple slope that was originally a Hawaiian guitar that was modified to be played regularly. It is the finest guitar I ever played. The sound is amazing on this great guitar.
0

#8 User is offline   gearbasher 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 964
  • Joined: 26-March 08

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:08 AM

I'm in the process of "thinning the herd" and I'm tossed between keeping two of these three: a Rosewood J-45, a Guild D-55 or a Maple J-45. When playing them I like the sound of the Guild and the Rosewood J-45. But, my brother and a friend were visiting the other day, so I had them play each guitar while I stood in front of them. The Maple J-45 is definitely staying with me. Now, I have to choose between the Guild and the other J-45. Both of them think I should keep the two Gibsons and lose the Guild.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"I was never very good at chemistry, but one of my favorite things to do is to turn beer into urine." -- TWilson

The only thing I'm looking to achieve is room temperature.
0

#9 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8121
  • Joined: 22-November 11

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:22 PM

View Postgearbasher, on 19 June 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

I'm in the process of "thinning the herd" and I'm tossed between keeping two of these three: a Rosewood J-45, a Guild D-55 or a Maple J-45. When playing them I like the sound of the Guild and the Rosewood J-45. But, my brother and a friend were visiting the other day, so I had them play each guitar while I stood in front of them. The Maple J-45 is definitely staying with me. Now, I have to choose between the Guild and the other J-45. Both of them think I should keep the two Gibsons and lose the Guild.


You're more concerned about how it sounds to others than how it sounds to you

Is that a good or bad thing??
0

#10 User is offline   gearbasher 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 964
  • Joined: 26-March 08

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 19 June 2017 - 12:22 PM, said:

You're more concerned about how it sounds to others than how it sounds to you

Is that a good or bad thing??

I think you misunderstood me or I didn't make my point clear enough. I'm saying that I like the sound of the Maple better than the other two when I'm standing in front of it. It's like two different animals depending on whether you're behind it or in front of it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"I was never very good at chemistry, but one of my favorite things to do is to turn beer into urine." -- TWilson

The only thing I'm looking to achieve is room temperature.
0

#11 User is offline   62burst 

  • Formerly Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2210
  • Joined: 01-January 10

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:59 PM

View PostJ-1854Me, on 18 June 2017 - 10:17 PM, said:

Hey Jinder.

Big fan here! I have a quilted maple under red spruce Southern Jumbo from 2007. Love it!

Posted Image

Posted Image

It was built by Val Bolitho when she was at the Custom Shop.

It's one of the more stable recent Bozeman guitars I have. Sounds great, looks great.

Fred


Beautiful guitar, Fred- made by Valerie B, who's organized this years Gibson Homecoming in the pinned thread at the top of the Acoustic page. . . Very good, and there can't be too many maple Southern Jumbos around? Also- could you be saying you're thinking it's the maple that is making for a more stable guitar?

* * * * * * * *


View PostJinder, on 18 June 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:


. . .Secondly, a Maple AJ . . . Hugely loud, lemony trebles and a dark chocolate bottom end. . .


Lemony trebles? Well, I've just got to have a serving of that. EA (EuroAussie) must be somewhere beside himself with all that talk of a guitar with a chocolatey bottom end)

* * * * * * * *

Some favorite maple flavor -

1945 J-45 maple:

(bound neck, Nick Lucas-style inlay)

Posted Image


And some tulips on the back of the Birdseye AJ you'd seen resting in the comfy Cedar Creek tweed case:

Posted Image

0

#12 User is offline   Jinder 

  • Every one a Gibsonite!
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1668
  • Joined: 02-January 08
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:25 PM

Jesus wept, some of the pics in this thread are just TOO MUCH!!

I'm GASing exceptionally hard for a maple slope now. All of the above are just gorgeous.

It's the Maple AJ that's in my heart of hearts. I'm nowhere near affording it though and there's another guitar priority in line before that...one day 😍
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
2011 Dove
1990 Hummingbird
1967 J45
2014 SJ100 1941 Reissue
2014 Epiphone IB '64 Texan
2001 Epiphone EL-00 (early L1 shape model)
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1978 Hohner Leyanda 12 String
1998 Fender Classic Series '60s RI Telecaster

#######
www.jinder.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jindermusic
0

#13 User is offline   J-1854Me 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1074
  • Joined: 17-August 10

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

Beautiful guitar, Fred- made by Valerie B, who's organized this years Gibson Homecoming in the pinned thread at the top of the Acoustic page. . . Very good, and there can't be too many maple Southern Jumbos around? Also- could you be saying you're thinking it's the maple that is making for a more stable guitar?

* * * * * * * *

Hi, 62:

As to the stability, I simply mean that this guitar has not required significant tweaks and adjustments to keep it nice and playable, yet. And that would, I think, have much more to do with the top's design and construction than that of the maple box it sits on.

Fred
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users