Gibson Brands Forums

2017 Studio T Wine Red

Jimmi

Well all I can tell you is I have sprayed it myself and it stinks to high heaven and have spoken to many other builders who have used it who agree with what I said... Plus my own experience owning about 10 different Gibsons over the years.. all were nitro, some had the smell some didn't... So believe what you will.. As you say, its not really that important.

Well all I can tell you is I have sprayed it myself and it stinks to high heaven and have spoken to many other builders who have used it who agree with what I said... Plus my own experience owning about 10 different Gibsons over the years.. all were nitro, some had the smell some didn't... So believe what you will.. As you say, its not really that important.

Its most likely the polishing compound that Gibson uses to polish the nitro. Since nitro is porous it soaks in the compound, this making the nitro smell like that...not the raw nitro. Sorry, should have said that earlier. I just don't like when someone turns and assumption into fact.

Its most likely the polishing compound that Gibson uses to polish the nitro. Since nitro is porous it soaks in the compound, this making the nitro smell like that...not the raw nitro. Sorry, should have said that earlier. I just don't like when someone turns and assumption into fact.

Ahh yes... You are possibly correct on that.. I don't have any facts as far as that's concerned... Raw nitro is really horrible though.. I once stuck my finger in it without thinking and it had a burning feeling for the rest of the day... I don't use it any more...

But I also still have the email Gibson sent me about using a spray.. I can assure you that is a fact too, not assumed.

Interesting discussion about the "smell". Never thought so many people would know (or don't know) what I was talking about.

Hopefully I can get some picts up soon. My 2017 Les Paul Studio T Wine Red is a beauty for sure.

Interesting discussion about the "smell". Never thought so many people would know (or don't know) what I was talking about.

Hopefully I can get some picts up soon. My 2017 Les Paul Studio T Wine Red is a beauty for sure.

Forget the pictures, bottle up some of that smell and send it my way... [lol]

Forget the pictures, bottle up some of that smell and send it my way... [lol]

"Oooh, that smell... can't you smell that smell?"

Gibson should sell that as a spray for people's cases. Maybe sell a polish with that smell. Car air fresheners. Candles?

"Oooh, that smell... can't you smell that smell?"

Gibson should sell that as a spray for people's cases. Maybe sell a polish with that smell. Car air fresheners. Candles?

Now that I think about it my 2015’s case had no smell whatsoever. Did they not use the Vanilla-Roma in 2015 or did they just forget to spritz my case?

On the other end of the spectrum I bought an 83 MIJ Squier Bullet last year and it’s case smells like a family of incontinent skunks used it for a toilet.

On the other end of the spectrum I bought an 83 MIJ Squier Bullet last year and it’s case smells like a family of incontenent skunks used it for a toilet.

I laughed pretty hard at that one! The case for my '81 V smells like cigarette smoke from playing in bars/clubs/band practice where they allowed smoking back in the day. Probably some spilled beer or other alcohol and who knows what else. It's been around, so to speak. On and off the stage from the time I bought it in spring of '84, from one side of the country to the other.

I laughed pretty hard at that one! The case for my '81 V smells like cigarette smoke from playing in bars/clubs/band practice where they allowed smoking back in the day. Probably some spilled beer or other alcohol and who knows what else. It's been around, so to speak. On and off the stage from the time I bought it in spring of '84, from one side of the country to the other.

I think a mouse really did build a nest in it or something. It reeks. I’ve aired it out, sprayed it was fabreeze, it’s not nearly as bad as it was when I bought it but it still stinks.

Archived