Gibson Brands Forums

Possible Buy, 1969 Les Paul PLEASE HELP!

steve1300

Thinking about buying this if I can, not too sure about the value as I'm finding it hard to find anything about this year. It appears to be a tobacco burst, they have it listed as a honey burst. He has the orginal pickups, case, strap, bridge and tail piece along with the stuff he added. For what it is it's in good shape for me!

If I can get any more information about it that would be much appreciated!

HERE IS THE LINK https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1817625168303760

It's NOT a 69 it falls into the early 71-72 range as far as a serial number in the 900000's and also the Made in USA appears in 1971. So it not a 69 regardless of what the owner says.

Could it possible be a gold top that has been refinshed? Looking through serial numbers the last number I can find for 1969 was 972864 so this guitar could be a very very late 69

'Probably' Alert!

There is going to be a lot of 'probably' and 'might well be' hereabouts...

The 'pancake' body, three-piece mahogany neck and volute were all introduced in 1969. The closed b and o logo was introduced in 1968. There is also at least one reference book which lists this number as a possibility for '69 but (IMO) it's most probably a '72/'73.

The double cream p'ups pictured are probably not the originals. They are probably a pair of DiMarzios (and probably Super Distortions). I'd like to see inside the p'up cavities. From 1968 until 1976 the only model of Les Paul which could normally be bought with full-size humbuckers was the Custom so this might well be a DeLuxe which has been routed-out to accept the bigger p'ups in which case the originals would have been mini-hums. If the current owned bought the guitar in the late '70s it might well have been modified prior to his buying it.

Without more detailed pictures it's difficult to know exactly what this guitar is and when it was made.

Still; at $1,500? It's an absolute steal regardless of its origins.

Pip.

It is for sure not a 69, it would have had mini humbuckers. Many people re-routed the guitar for full sized humbuckers back then. Almost everything that can be changed was changed. That being said, it's being sold at a reasonable price. I'll post a photo of my '69 for comparison.

iyRXWEx.jpg

$1500 for a vintage Les Paul with its original case seems incredibly reasonable, almost to a fault. I don't think the owner is going to be able to help you with the correct details. Just buy it, and figure it out from there. You won't lose money on it at that price. Also, at that price ... if everything is all straight up, someone else will snag it if you don't.

Archived