Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Southern Jumbo

Alex_78

Beautiful guitar. I’ve always loved the SJ, a slightly “dressier” J45 but a guitar that never sounds particularly similar to a J45, weirdly.

I’ve never owned one but have loved every one I’ve played. I’ll add one to the herd one day.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thick, rubberized pickguards are pixilated, at least they are as well on the J45's. I've had two from Gibson that would not stay stuck down do I'm just putting a more traditional guard on mine that's used in the Vintage models.

We are talking about the Martin ones, the SJ pickguard is very red but has some clarity, I seriously doubt it's pixilated.

Had to grab flash-lite and looking-glass to examine the J-45 Std. It is pixilated.

Eeeeeh, so is the 2000 HD-28V, but one gotta zoom in close to see it.

Anxious I went further to the acoustic Firebird Custom. Pheeeew, , , NO - organic guard right there.

Are the wood specs and bracing the same on all three? My Chinese is a bit rusty...

Nope, Nick - the whole point is the different bracing between the 3. And the recent version of the previously straight-braced D-28 is altered too.

You can study this in their site. A bit too complicated to explain here.

The Mart.-dread-scene is getting very complex now. The audience has to be professors.

- - - - - - -

I hereby have a discovered a dilemma. New guard on the Martin ? A tortoise beauty from Stewmac. .

Don't know - the one on has very nice beveled edges - with flat soft curves melting toward the warm hued top.

But microscopic synthetic dots ϟ¿o0ϟ¡ , , , disturbing. .

]

I hereby have a discovered a dilemma. New guard on the Martin ? A tortoise beauty from Stewmac. .

Don't know - the one on has very nice beveled edges - with flat soft curves melting toward the warm hued top.

Why wouldn't you just buy some real celluloid sheet, and make your own? Stewmac says their tortoloid sheet is not "printed", so I'm not sure what you have. A quick online search shows several sources for real celluloid sheet.

The guy who works on my guitars made a beautiful real celluloid pickguard for my late-40's J-45 a few years ago, pretty much as close to the long-gone original as you could come.

Why wouldn't you just buy some real celluloid sheet, and make your own? Stewmac says their tortoloid sheet is not "printed", so I'm not sure what you have. A quick online search shows several sources for real celluloid sheet.

The guy who works on my guitars made a beautiful real celluloid pickguard for my late-40's J-45 a few years ago, pretty much as close to the long-gone original as you could come.

Yes, I believe there's a custom alternative cut wide-sheet on my re-necked CW. And it's not printed.

However I really like the soft edges - especially on the HD-V.

Beautiful guitar. I've always loved the SJ, a slightly "dressier" J45 but a guitar that never sounds particularly similar to a J45, weirdly.

I've never owned one but have loved every one I've played. I'll add one to the herd one day.

This video gives an idea of the sound difference between the two...except that mine has slightly more bass, or the recording is not perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo4zpKfsbzM

Nope, Nick - the whole point is the different bracing between the 3. And the recent version of the previously straight-braced D-28 is altered too.

You can study this in their site. A bit too complicated to explain here.

The Mart.-dread-scene is getting very complex now. The audience has to be professors.

Now you need to have a degree in Martinology to get the guitar you want, it's getting silly.

For the pickguard, my HD28V was made in 2011 and I don't think it's pixel, and not even this SJ one that looks cut and VERY thin.

"pixellated pickguard, dripping from a dead dog's eye. . . "

2006 Martin (D-41):

iHnmtFa.png

2017 Gibson (below):

ZiRubnu.png

Some effort was needed to get the photos- the Gibson p/g macro was shot with endoscope looking through an ocular removed from a pair of binoculars, after the standard macro lens came up short.

"pixellated pickguard, dripping from a dead dog's eye. . . "

2017 Gibson (below):

ZiRubnu.png

Some effort was needed to get the photos- the Gibson p/g macro was shot with endoscope looking through an ocular removed from a pair of binoculars, after the standard macro lens came up short.

What frigging Gibson is it !?

Good shots ^

. . . . . . .

Alex_78 - could you go and check the HD-28V one more time, please - very curious here.

Alex_78 - could you go and check the HD-28V one more time, please - very curious here.

I am away from home for working reasons, so I cannot check, which magnification are we talking about?

Here's my SJ's with a couple cousins. I'm partial to the rosewood one.

CED78B9E-7EA4-4CE3-9A82-1A8DD575CEC8_zpsgy4ehjmi.jpg

Great parade, even if I'm not that keen on dice, eagles, cherries and other stuff American country singers like on their guitars....the only signature series I tried was the Woody Guthrie and unfortunately I didn't buy it at that time.

Interesting, can I ask the serial number? Mine was made the 5th of January as already discussed...I might drop a line to Gibson to ask if they forgot the CS logo.

Alex_78, I´m back with the information. My Southern Jumbo is older than I expected - the Quality control document says 8/10/17, model number RSSJVSNH8, serial number 11517020. A photo of the guitar is attached.

Alex_78, I´m back with the information. My Southern Jumbo is older than I expected - the Quality control document says 8/10/17, model number RSSJVSNH8, serial number 11517020. A photo of the guitar is attached.

That's the same time when mine was made. Great guitar. Enjoy!!

Thank you, it looks like mine and was made the 31st of May 2017 if I've done the math correctly. Model number is the same and it appears it's also a 2019MY with the same specs besides the modified V profile...do you also have the pin for the strap?

The p-guard, sir. .

I got that...I wanted to know which magnification is required to see if the pickguard has pixels.

I got that...I wanted to know which magnification is required to see if the pickguard has pixels.

Ouh, pardon - English is second language and some nuances fly over the head.

I use a Sherlock-looking-glass and a focused flash-lite, but burst may have better advice.

What we are investigating is whether Nazareth uses both pixelated and organic guards.

Ouh, pardon - English is second language and some nuances fly over the head.

I use a Sherlock-looking-glass and a focused flash-lite, but burst may have better advice.

What we are investigating is whether Nazareth uses both pixelated and organic guards.

I got out my 8x photo loupe, and found that what I took to be a nice traditional celluloid guard on my 000-28 EC is in fact, and unambiguously, heavily pixilated. The two factory Gibson firestripes I have--which are not as pretty as traditional ones--do not appear to be pixilated, but there is a barely visible underlying pattern which I suspect is the surface of the adhesive sheet used to hold the guards on. That pattern looks nothing like the dramatic pixilation of the Martin pickguard.

I guess you don't get much for your money these days...

It's not a Bird !

Happy to report no Birds have been pixellated in the making of the image below, but they do possess a bit of a swirl:

EQGRRSd.jpg

As Nick had mentioned, the Firestripe guards (contemporary ones, that is) show more of their adhesive- a trippy pattern seen in the lighter stripes. The macro shot of the pixellated 'guard shown in reply #32 (seeing it with the 7 x 35 ocular from the binoculars was much easier than photographing it) was one of the thicker teardrop styled ones, but the J-45 Standards (contempo ones) with the thinner tort guards were not immune from the pixies, either.

Thank you, it looks like mine and was made the 31st of May 2017 if I've done the math correctly. Model number is the same and it appears it's also a 2019MY with the same specs besides the modified V profile...do you also have the pin for the strap?

Yes, the strap pin is mounted on the SJ but there was no straüp in the (black) case. The Dove I bought after the SJ has a strap pin AND a strap in the (Brown) case - just like a surprise bag.

By the way - does anybody know the meaning of the "Model Number"? The two letters "...SJ..." are self explaining, but the rest?

The saddle also looks like it's a tad short width wise if you look at the bass side, and appears that whoever setup the guitar rounded off the end weird. Almost looks pointed or sanded at an angle instead of rounded to match the bridge slot.

cVfTRyT.jpg

My hummy came with this kind of design with its orignal gibson brand new stock saddle. Indeed it looks like a small angle rather than a fine rounded edge.

It does not surprise me and seems to be rather common to me but maybe some know more about it ... It may avoid pressuring the round edge of the bridge, pressure that might cause crack in the long run ? Dunno...

My hummy came with this kind of design with its orignal gibson brand new stock saddle. Indeed it looks like a small angle rather than a fine rounded edge.

It does not surprise me and seems to be rather common to me but maybe some know more about it ... It may avoid pressuring the round edge of the bridge, pressure that might cause crack in the long run ? Dunno...

I've bought several brand new J45's and have never seen this. All of them have had a saddle where the edge is rounded and matches the curve in the slot in the bridge.

Archived