Gibson Brands Forums: 2019 SG Special - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2019 SG Special

#1 User is offline   Bettyboo 

  • Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 02-November 18

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:05 AM

These have been advertised in a few places over the last few months, and they turned up on the Gibson site today:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I ordered one from here: https://www.andertons.co.uk/

,but, no delivery date - a bit like the 2018 juniors and DC special...

They appear to be a 61-ish SG special that's pretty true to the original (excluding logo and tuners) - I'm looking forward to getting mine, but doubt it'll arrive this side of 2019.

Anybody know anything about these?
2

#2 User is offline   pippy 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 13698
  • Joined: 21-July 08
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:40 AM

There is a thread featuring the Pelham Blue one in the lounge.
I like the look of the Sparkling Burgundy one too.

Pip.
1

#3 User is offline   FemmeParallell 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: 28-May 18

Posted 02 November 2018 - 03:01 PM

what color did you order?
i liked the blue one, but i dont like the price tag =(

View PostBettyboo, on 02 November 2018 - 07:05 AM, said:

These have been advertised in a few places over the last few months, and they turned up on the Gibson site today:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I ordered one from here: https://www.andertons.co.uk/

,but, no delivery date - a bit like the 2018 juniors and DC special...

They appear to be a 61-ish SG special that's pretty true to the original (excluding logo and tuners) - I'm looking forward to getting mine, but doubt it'll arrive this side of 2019.

Anybody know anything about these?

1

#4 User is offline   Bettyboo 

  • Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 02-November 18

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:40 PM

View PostFemmeParallell, on 02 November 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

what color did you order?
i liked the blue one, but i dont like the price tag =(


I ordered the Pelham Blue - the Burgundy looks good in the pictures, but a special in Pelham Blue can't be overlooked.

Regarding the price, I know it looks high, but I don't think it actually is. I have a 2018 SG junior that cost the same price and that isn't over-priced, imho. I'll explain: I went into a shop to buy either a 2017 LP Classic or a 2017 SG standard (both were around $1500 at the time due to sales, new 2018 stock, etc), and I played/looked at a lot of guitars. Comparing the standard to the junior, to me, the quality of fit and finish, the sound and the playability of the junior was far superior (I went with a friend who played them both and he just presumed the junior was the much more expensive guitar). I went in expecting to buy the standard, but ended up with the junior and it's the best guitar I've ever owned or played by a distance (I've had 2 previous Gibson SGs).

Gibson Custom had/has the historic LP juniors 57/58/? that were selling for about $2500-3000, and the 2018 LP/SG juniors (and I hope this 2019 special too) seem to be closer to those than the SG standard in quality of woods, fit and finish, etc. That's probably why they changed the headstock logo and didn't put three in a line tuners - they needed to keep some differences between the 2018 USA juniors and the Custom Shop juniors - I really believe that the 2018 juniors are excellent value for money. Also, factoring in the case then comparing it to a 2019 standard which doesn't come with a case, the SG special seems like a good price to me - especially for a rarely made guitar by Gibson.
0

#5 User is offline   AngelDeVille 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 140
  • Joined: 30-March 17

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:57 PM

I think itís overpriced but Iím going to sell off a few to buy one....

Itís just too beautiful to let it pass.
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600...
1

#6 User is offline   RowdyMoon 

  • Experience Wilsonia
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1547
  • Joined: 01-January 12
  • LocationCourtice, Ontario

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:02 AM

I bought the 2018 JR and it is a phenomenal guitar, a keeper....as I posted in the other thread going to have to get this one!!!Posted Image
1

#7 User is offline   Wild Bill 212 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 234
  • Joined: 07-June 16
  • LocationN E USA/S E ASIA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:53 AM

View PostBettyboo, on 02 November 2018 - 07:05 AM, said:

These have been advertised in a few places over the last few months, and they turned up on the Gibson site today:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I ordered one from here: https://www.andertons.co.uk/

,but, no delivery date - a bit like the 2018 juniors and DC special...

They appear to be a 61-ish SG special that's pretty true to the original (excluding logo and tuners) - I'm looking forward to getting mine, but doubt it'll arrive this side of 2019.

Anybody know anything about these?


BRO, IDK N E thing about these Guitars but aside from the P-90's, they look rather pedestrian. For MY $$, I would grab a 2017 'SG' STANDARD, CHERRY SUNBURST(or the BACK BEAUTY). I got my 2017 'SG' STANDARD for $1299 ALL-IN and right now, in the USA near Philly, 2017 SG Standard's are going for $900-$1100.....IMO, GIBSON has just priced themselves out of the market, and this thing is $1500+TAX(an expensive paint job)WHAT???? They aren't kidding ?..... the 2017's have locking Grover TM's and the Trapezoid In-Lays, '57 Classic's P-Up's.....'17 was the best year for SG's in a LONG TIME..... just my $2 on the matter....

However, IDK this may do it for you...BUT SERIOUSLY? Compensated one Piece Stop-Tail/Bridge ? The Melody Maker(Mickey Mouse) T.M. Buttons? DOT In-Lays? I'd Keep Goin Boo.........

This post has been edited by Wild Bill 212: 04 November 2018 - 08:03 AM

0

#8 User is offline   Wild Bill 212 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 234
  • Joined: 07-June 16
  • LocationN E USA/S E ASIA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:57 AM

View PostBettyboo, on 02 November 2018 - 08:40 PM, said:

I ordered the Pelham Blue - the Burgundy looks good in the pictures, but a special in Pelham Blue can't be overlooked.

Regarding the price, I know it looks high, but I don't think it actually is. I have a 2018 SG junior that cost the same price and that isn't over-priced, imho. I'll explain: I went into a shop to buy either a 2017 LP Classic or a 2017 SG standard (both were around $1500 at the time due to sales, new 2018 stock, etc), and I played/looked at a lot of guitars. Comparing the standard to the junior, to me, the quality of fit and finish, the sound and the playability of the junior was far superior (I went with a friend who played them both and he just presumed the junior was the much more expensive guitar). I went in expecting to buy the standard, but ended up with the junior and it's the best guitar I've ever owned or played by a distance (I've had 2 previous Gibson SGs).

Gibson Custom had/has the historic LP juniors 57/58/? that were selling for about $2500-3000, and the 2018 LP/SG juniors (and I hope this 2019 special too) seem to be closer to those than the SG standard in quality of woods, fit and finish, etc. That's probably why they changed the headstock logo and didn't put three in a line tuners - they needed to keep some differences between the 2018 USA juniors and the Custom Shop juniors - I really believe that the 2018 juniors are excellent value for money. Also, factoring in the case then comparing it to a 2019 standard which doesn't come with a case, the SG special seems like a good price to me - especially for a rarely made guitar by Gibson.


IMO,Regarding the price? It is an outrage.....considering less than 2 years ago SG Standards, 2017's(Locking TM's,'57's,Traps,Rolled Binding etc) , were $1299...this Guitar for $1500? LOL, it is beyond over-priced. The One Piece Stop-Tail/Bridge is the icing on the insult.
0

#9 User is offline   Revolution Six 

  • Only a Gibson !
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 656
  • Joined: 07-December 16

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:48 AM

The SG Bordeaux is awesome !

[thumbup] :D :wub:
Posted Image
2

#10 User is offline   Bettyboo 

  • Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 02-November 18

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:08 PM

Different stokes for different folks...

Regarding price, the basic USA tele/strat with a poly finish is $1400, same as a 2019 Gibson SG standard (without a case) - that's just the price we pay nowadays. I've had nice $600 Korean made PRS and other guitars sitting in the rack next to my Gibsons, but just always played the SGs, so ended up selling the PRS/others; it's person by person, but I find a Gibson SG gives me the best bang for buck. I would say that a secondhand SG faded for $600 or so is always a great buy and sounds fantastic.

I can only speak from my own experience, whilst I really like the 2017 spec, especially the locking tuners, colour options and 57 in the neck (I much prefer a 498T or AY in the bridge for the type of music I enjoy, but that's neither here nor there, the 57+ is a very good pickup which many folks enjoy), but when I went into the store to buy a 2017 standard, I ended up paying $400 more for the 2018 SG junior, I just liked it that much more; I didn't expect to, but playing them side by side, that's the way I went.

There's no right or wrongs really, just our preferences. I much prefer the 2019 61' to the 2019 standard, and I prefer the special with the Pelham Blue, the dots, the case, the binding and P90s to the 2019 standard spec for similar money.

From 2016 to 2019, Gibson has given lots of variety on SG models, so there's something out there to suit most folks' taste. I also loved the 2016 P90 SG standard, and regret not getting one.

Posted Image
1

#11 User is offline   AngelDeVille 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 140
  • Joined: 30-March 17

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:30 PM

Of course I wish the guitar was $599 with a hardshell case, but wish in one hand....


The 2017 Pelham Blue standards like the one I have keep climbing in price... I luckily got mine way cheap brand new.

Iím not missing out on this one...

Baby needs a little sister....

Posted Image
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600...
0

#12 User is offline   Wild Bill 212 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 234
  • Joined: 07-June 16
  • LocationN E USA/S E ASIA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:58 PM

View PostAngelDeVille, on 04 November 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

Of course I wish the guitar was $599 with a hardshell case, but wish in one hand....


The 2017 Pelham Blue standards like the one I have keep climbing in price... I luckily got mine way cheap brand new.

I'm not missing out on this one...

Baby needs a little sister....

Posted Image


Do I see a Towner Tension Bar in the Stop-tail position ? the B3 Bigsby looks really COOL on SG's ,I took mine off and went with a Duesenberg Les Trem II for the Almost-Bomb-Like effect, certainly not the looks........The B5 looks GREAT , BUT, the adapter plate????? jacks it up too high ?
0

#13 User is offline   Wild Bill 212 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 234
  • Joined: 07-June 16
  • LocationN E USA/S E ASIA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:15 PM

View PostBettyboo, on 04 November 2018 - 06:08 PM, said:

Different stokes for different folks...

Regarding price, the basic USA tele/strat with a poly finish is $1400, same as a 2019 Gibson SG standard (without a case) - that's just the price we pay nowadays. I've had nice $600 Korean made PRS and other guitars sitting in the rack next to my Gibsons, but just always played the SGs, so ended up selling the PRS/others; it's person by person, but I find a Gibson SG gives me the best bang for buck. I would say that a secondhand SG faded for $600 or so is always a great buy and sounds fantastic.

I can only speak from my own experience, whilst I really like the 2017 spec, especially the locking tuners, colour options and 57 in the neck (I much prefer a 498T or AY in the bridge for the type of music I enjoy, but that's neither here nor there, the 57+ is a very good pickup which many folks enjoy), but when I went into the store to buy a 2017 standard, I ended up paying $400 more for the 2018 SG junior, I just liked it that much more; I didn't expect to, but playing them side by side, that's the way I went.

There's no right or wrongs really, just our preferences. I much prefer the 2019 61' to the 2019 standard, and I prefer the special with the Pelham Blue, the dots, the case, the binding and P90s to the 2019 standard spec for similar money.

From 2016 to 2019, Gibson has given lots of variety on SG models, so there's something out there to suit most folks' taste. I also loved the 2016 P90 SG standard, and regret not getting one.

Posted Image


YES, you are correct. The 'SG' Special Faded's are a GREAT buy for $600, used....those days may be ending tho with new ones going for $1100.Used GIBSON's are going up now too, due to the fact that the new one's are SKY-ROCKETTING ! On Memorial Day 2016, I got one., NEW, for $585 @ G.C. and I SOLD it about 6 months ago. I got what I paid for it after beating on it for 2 years...... BUT I regret selling it as it was good to practice on and beat the $#!T out of and dent the frets.....instead beating up #1 & #2. BUT, I will say, tho, LOL, I did know what a POS it really was! all I had to do was play it un-plugged to know that.....You get what you pay for.????.......Sometimes ? or , these days, if your lucky !
0

#14 User is offline   Bettyboo 

  • Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 02-November 18

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:42 PM

That 2017 standard in Pelham Blue looks fantastic - lovely guitar; the 2017 really is nicely specc'd out.

Yeah on the fadeds - $1000+ seems ridiculous for one; $750 new, mayyyyyybe. They are really nice rock n' roll machines (not overly fond of the 490 in the bridge, but that's easily swapped out).

Was playing my 2018 SG jnr last night - it's fantastic everytime I take it out of the case.
0

#15 User is offline   pippy 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 13698
  • Joined: 21-July 08
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:46 AM

I don't understand why so many folks here think the price is unreasonable. I've just had a check and in the UK they are being advertised for £1199.
Seems pretty fair to me.

View PostWild Bill 212, on 04 November 2018 - 07:53 AM, said:

...BUT SERIOUSLY? Compensated one Piece Stop-Tail/Bridge ? The Melody Maker(Mickey Mouse) T.M. Buttons? DOT In-Lays?.........

I'm no expert on the Gibson SG model through the years - not by a long chalk - but AFAICT it's a close recreation of the '63 SG Special.
A compensated McCarty bridge/TP; small-button 3-in-a-line tuners; dot inlays; bound neck; unadorned p'head face were all standard features of that years' instrument.
The biggest difference that I can see (colours apart) is the gold silk-screened Gibson logo and that isn't exactly a deal breaker in my book.

Not that it matters but I'd much prefer those 3-in-a-line tuners to any set of Grovers you'd care to mention. I like Trap' inlays but they would be completely wrong on that Special and the compensated McCarty bridge will get anyone close enough for Rock'n'Roll.

Price-wise we seem to be being offered damn-near a (limited-edition) '63 Historic Re-issue - HSC included - for a little over USA-line money.
If it is crafted as well as it looks to be from the snaps I think it's actually a bit of a bargain.

What's not to like?

Posted Image

Pip.

This post has been edited by pippy: 05 November 2018 - 09:53 AM

1

#16 User is offline   pippy 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 13698
  • Joined: 21-July 08
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:59 AM

View PostRevolution Six, on 04 November 2018 - 09:48 AM, said:

The SG Bordeaux is awesome !

[thumbup] :D :wub:

Posted Image

Are you from the Gironde / Nouvelle-Aquitaine département by any chance?

Pip.

This post has been edited by pippy: 05 November 2018 - 10:01 AM

1

#17 User is offline   onewayout 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 05-November 18

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:06 PM

I wish this guitar would become available in vintage cherry... THE foremost colour for SGs

Attached File(s)


0

#18 User is offline   Wild Bill 212 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 234
  • Joined: 07-June 16
  • LocationN E USA/S E ASIA

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:16 PM

View Postpippy, on 05 November 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

I don't understand why so many folks here think the price is unreasonable. I've just had a check and in the UK they are being advertised for £1199.
Seems pretty fair to me.


I'm no expert on the Gibson SG model through the years - not by a long chalk - but AFAICT it's a close recreation of the '63 SG Special.
A compensated McCarty bridge/TP; small-button 3-in-a-line tuners; dot inlays; bound neck; unadorned p'head face were all standard features of that years' instrument.
The biggest difference that I can see (colours apart) is the gold silk-screened Gibson logo and that isn't exactly a deal breaker in my book.

Not that it matters but I'd much prefer those 3-in-a-line tuners to any set of Grovers you'd care to mention. I like Trap' inlays but they would be completely wrong on that Special and the compensated McCarty bridge will get anyone close enough for Rock'n'Roll.

Price-wise we seem to be being offered damn-near a (limited-edition) '63 Historic Re-issue - HSC included - for a little over USA-line money.
If it is crafted as well as it looks to be from the snaps I think it's actually a bit of a bargain.

What's not to like?

Posted Image

Pip.


OK, the price for starters, ALSO, the Guitar is NOT being sold or marketed as a RE-ISSUE or TRIBUTE Model, it is being sold as a Gibson USA 'SG' Special THATS IT !....as far as TM's go, for that $$ I'll take Locking Chrome GROVER's(like the one's on the 2017 SG STANDARD for $1299 All-In) or even Mini-Grover's(especially) for TM.'s over the one's on that Guitar any day of the week.......and that Compensated/Stop-Tail/Bridge has got to go..... I bought an SG Special in 2016 that was worth every USDollar I paid for it, all $585 of them (it was a POS, but it was a good Guitar for just shy of $600)...this thing for nearly TRIPLE the price ? NO, NO WAY ! Regarding the Bridge/Stop-Tail, I am going to doubt that GIBSON USA is putting that THING/Bridge on that Guitar as a way to stay faithful to some previously released Guitar, NO ! its not a R.I., and so it looks like a complete cost-cutting measure.....and @ $1500, GIBSON should break-down and give their Loyal Customers a Stop-Tail/Bridge combo......

and while I am at it, the Hard Shell Case should not be trumpetted as some kind of fortunate addition customer's are lucky to get, its what a customer that plunks down $1500 for a guitar like this should get, Gratis.

I like the paint job on it and I'd like to hear it un-plugged and then thru a stack to check out the P-90's.....a fair price for this guitar ? IDK.......I wouldn't buy it.

This post has been edited by Wild Bill 212: 05 November 2018 - 03:19 PM

1

#19 User is offline   pippy 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 13698
  • Joined: 21-July 08
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:39 PM

Fine by me.

We have very different likes and dislikes and different ideas of what constitutes 'good value'. No biggie.

Pip.
1

#20 User is offline   Rabs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 12890
  • Joined: 15-January 12
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:45 PM

View Postpippy, on 05 November 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

Fine by me.

We have very different likes and dislikes and different ideas of what constitutes 'good value'. No biggie.

Pip.

Wheres Charlie Brown? We need the horn taper police for this one :)
"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix
0

Share this topic:


  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users