Gibson Brands Forums

"Relic" Epiphone Jr...

Mr. E

i have a epiphone jr ($99) and i was having trouble with it. I took it apart and did somethings on it. I remember the first time i painted it i did it tooo fast that the paint job wasnt that good.

Yesterday, i decided to try to take the inperfection off the body cause it was uncomfortabe (all sticky, bumps, etc.), but it wasnt working. Then, i decided to strip the body, but it was too hard. By the time i noticed, the body looked like relic. The fact that i tried sanding the guitar didnt actually make it look like a relic (although it helped alittle bit by taking the shiny off), but rather my use (it is very easy for a guitar with medicore paint job to wear out with playing (or my playing). I really dont like and/or care of "relics" because you are scracthing, denting, etc. a guitar and its useless. i really dont care cause i dont worry about how the guitar looks. i only care how it plays so it doesnt make much of a difference to me.

what i like doing to my guitars (the only two i own) is sand the poly coat with really damps the sound of the guitar, but it makes them look like relics even though i dont want to... my jr sounds awesome compared to other guitars. it sounds better than my friends guitars: epi jr, ibanez rg120 ( i think), a squier bullet, and it even beats my friends Fender Deluxe Player strat. i would really really like this guitar, but i really dont like playing with crunch, gain, distrotion, etc. and thats mostly what this guitar can do, but if you were a lead player that would play in a "only rock" band this guitar would be perfect.

Anyway, i'll take a pic and maybe post it tomorrow so you guys could see it...

Edit: i must say this guitar is not stock as i've changed the tuners, tone cap, and pickup (mean 90)

Well' date=' we'll just wait for the pictures then.[/quote']

i just took them.. i just need to upload them.

the pic are not that good cause i dont have an awesome camara, but i guess they are alright.

the pics dont really look like the guitar at all, but i'll still show them...

here are the pics, although they suck big time...

the guitar doesnt look like that at all. the pics make it look all ugly, but anyway here they are...

th_101_0948.jpg

th_101_0961.jpg

th_101_0963.jpg

th_101_0965.jpg

th_101_0946.jpg

Edit: the converse sticker was something i had there and didnt know what to do so i just put it there... i did the painting one afternoon till midnight. All done in less than 12 hours, lol

I'm not grasping the whole point of this post. ](*

If it's just to show your guitar then hey it's cool and nothing wrong with having a "one of a kind". I know I've got some. [/quote']

this thing was a total accident... i really didnt want the guitar to be like that... i just tried fixing it and thats how it ended up. its actually fun

Other than the stripes, I like the effect of the guitar... faded black on top, with the white back. I also like the lack of pickguard... Les Paul Junior pickguards always looked a bit odd to me, but at the same time, the early-2000 Melody Makers without a pickguard always looked off.

Other than the stripes' date=' I like the effect of the guitar... faded black on top, with the white back. I also like the lack of pickguard... Les Paul Junior pickguards always looked a bit odd to me, but at the same time, the early-2000 Melody Makers without a pickguard always looked off.[/quote']

yea, i also think they guitar would look better without the stripes... i did like the faded black top with the white back too and i took the pickguard cause that was the only shiny thing on the guitar soo offf it went...

Thnx, i'm happy someone liked it

Man, now THERE is a guitar that has some balls!

It doesn't look like a cherished and babied museum piece, it's a player's guitar.

Bravo on the look of the finsh.

Plywood guitars can sound good, maybe just one in a hundred; but they can and do.

If I were you, I'd be happy to own that.

• 1 year later...

Nuttin' wrong with refinishing your own gits. MANY Members

here have done the same with absolutely INCREDIBLE results.

It's all a learning process - you do something that turns out

lousy, then you figure out what went wrong and improve on it.

I've refinished 4 so far. Love it, made mistakes, learned from 'em.

Maybe we should do a thread of "Refinished Gits", used to be something

like that here, but I think it was lost in "Crash". Hmmmm......

here are the pics' date=' although they suck big time...

the guitar doesnt look like that at all. the pics make it look all ugly, but anyway here they are...

th_101_0948.jpg

th_101_0961.jpg

th_101_0963.jpg

th_101_0965.jpg

th_101_0946.jpg

Edit: the converse sticker was something i had there and didnt know what to do so i just put it there... i did the painting one afternoon till midnight. All done in less than 12 hours, lol

What's the problem again?

It looks good to me, play the schite out of it...

Archived