Gibson Brands Forums

first song with SWD.....

jefleppard

hey, guys. here is my first recording with my SWD. it's called "i'm so vain". OK, sure...its also a thinly-veiled attempt at getting y'all to listen to my stuff. though, not its not for profit - you can download it if you like it. i would like to know what you think either way. i still haven't scratched off "rock star" on my list of career ops, though there haven't been any postings for one on monster.ca in quite a while. i know my voice makes dylan sound like pavarotti but still i'm looking forward to making the wild dogs and bears howl (sorry, city guy here..do bears howl?) at the next homecoming. enjoy and again, any feedback, good or bad, would be lovely.

www.myspace.com/jeffstilescunkhead

Canada's got talent! sounds like a TV show. you've got a good voice and the guitar and playing sounds great! i'd work on my phrasing a little bit, but otherwise, it's better than anything i've ever come up with. don't mind ballcorner, he's probably off his meds today. he's usually very nice. keep on keepin' on CH!

hey' date=' guys. here is my first recording with my SWD. it's called "i'm so vain". OK, sure...its also a thinly-veiled attempt at getting y'all to listen to my stuff. though, not its not for profit - you can download it if you like it. i would like to know what you think either way. i still haven't scratched off "rock star" on my list of career ops, though there haven't been any postings for one on monster.ca in quite a while. i know my voice makes dylan sound like pavarotti but still i'm looking forward to making the wild dogs and bears howl (sorry, city guy here..do bears howl?) at the next homecoming. enjoy and again, any feedback, good or bad, would be lovely.

www.myspace.com/jeffstilescunkhead [/quote']

IMHO anyone who posts their music up here has real balls!

Sounds great to me (but before you get carried away I can't sing a note, years of cigs and booze did for my voice before my b*lls dropped and I got throw out of the church choir!)

One of the reasons I dread attending something like the Homecoming would be the "open mike session" and the feeling that you are kinda expected to participate. THat isn't going to stop me trying really hard for a place nexy year though, I will have the dosh for the J-300 Vine by then and I'd like to collect it!

I take my hat off to you Jeff, to HamonicChaos and to others who stick their stuff up on here.

For me when asked to play

I kinda slouch my shoulders and come out with immortal, "chicken-out" phrase

"I am more of a collector really!"

Is there any wildlife in Kent?

Not within a 5 mile radius of our house if I'm singing!

Keep the faith!

"Is there any wildlife in Kent?"

ha! thanks, johnT. even my mom is straight (ouch) to the point with my someone modest vocal skills. once she said she liked a song before the singing started but liked it again after it stopped!

as for kent, that's the next county over from here - i've plenty of rodents to rid in my own county of essex .

Good job cunk. I thought the guitar work sounded nice and I heard some Robert Earl Keen in your voice. I agree with johnt (just this once) that it takes guts to put yourself out there for people to criticize and be mean-spirited. I've played in small groups with friends but not out there for strangers, critics and sober people to listen to. Keep at it brother!

thanks for the knid words and encouragement, TW. REK has been a definite influence. his 'merry christmas from the family' is such a great holiday tune. i see, by rifling through youtube, he's a gibby boy for the mostpart. is that an L5 in this video?

...and, TW...i'm guess the crabs you got from the coast aren't of the same variety as the ones i could get on wyandotte street downtown!

Sounds great. I am just starting to toy with the idea of post a song or two online. Of course I sound like shiat and still can't sing and play at the same time to save my life.

The couple of your songs I listened to sounded original enough to be interesting (i.e. have personality and unique sound) with out going overboard. I did hear a couple pauses in "i'm so vain"...now I have a song where I deliberately pause....was just wondering.

sorry ....but I call Mulligans on Ballcorner.... joke or serious ....either way it is not so nice to do that to someone who has gone out on a limb and shared.....either positive constructive criticism, polite compliment or shut your mouth (break your typing fingers)

It is always so amazing to hear what the talented folks on the forum are doing musically. Wonder if the Gibson Forum would be able to host forum member music for other member to browse --Sort of a music library for Gibson Forum Or maybe even a sticky thread where members could post links to their music. As someones adds tunes they could edit their post and add it so each member would have one entry with all thier available tunes.

Just a thought!

Keep up the good work cunk !!! don't listen to anyone who says you can't sing or play .....

Nice first cut, Jeff. I really like the acoustic rhythm intro. I thought, "Damn, I'd like to learn that." I also enjoyed the play on "You're So Vain." I totally disagree with the comment regarding "plagiarized symbolism" above. I thought it was obvious what you intended. Also, we all borrow from those that came before us. Thankfully, that's the case. I do think the vocals need a bit more polish. I find that once I have one of my songs firmly memorized for the guitar and the lyrics, the vocal tightens up considerably, because I can focus on it at that point. Thanks for sharing with us.

One note I would like to add; when I submit fiction for review, I usually have a short disclaimer, such as "contains adult content," or "contains violence and profanity" for example. That way, if someone does not like such things, they are given notice.

And another last note; in most fiction forums, reviewers are discouraged from making generalized comments such as "... it's crap" These sorts of things bring nothing to the discussion except negative feelings, and they are insulting. And they certainly don't help the author improve his/her work.

Again, thanks for sharing.

...and' date=' TW...i'm guess the crabs you got from the coast aren't of the same variety as the ones i could get on wyandotte street downtown![/quote']

No Jeff

But it's possible he might have those too

EDIT make that probable LOL

Good job' date=' cunkhead. Liked it a lot. As for ballcorner, consider the source.

Johnt, there's absolutely no pressure to join in at the Open Mic at Homecoming. And, we're a very accepting bunch, if you do decide to participate. [/quote']

Yes I know GS, and if I had to doubtless I'd struggle through "Fire & Rain" or something like that.

I was walking round Canterbury yesterday with my lady and she asked me ( she actually asked me) if I was going to bid for a guitar on Ebay.

The conversation went one way and another until next years Homecoming was mentioned, I don't recall who brought that up.

She seems very keen, for me mostly I guess, so we are going to try to come over if we can?

I don't know about the "Homecoming" bit though, my stock, safe and trusted J45 would be my guitar of choice for such an event but as it was made in Norlin times then I suppose my best alternative to have a guitar at the event would be to order my J-300 SB and collect it at the gate!

When does all the booking & stuff start?

BR

J

perfect idea' date=' johnT. that way, the j-300 will seem like a door prize!

i might do just that myself. save my next big purchase for the homecoming. let's do it.[/quote']

Way it stands at the moment Jeff

You have a deal!

OK' date=' since none of you get my sense of humour - read this aloud ten times:

I AM SOFA KING WEE TODD IT

Just do it, this is one I think you will actually get.[/quote']

Yep, got it ballcorner. I'm hoping CS also did, so they can finally deal with you once and for all.

Also, FWIW, don't you have a lot of things posted on Youtube? Maybe you'd like people to comment on your songs?

Nice song Cunk......lol....I remember the first time I played in front of my non-guitar-playing friends. My buddy came over to me and said...."WOW, you should really be on the radio!!" I was shocked, and then he said, "Yeah, then I could turn you off!!!" What are friends for, if they can't be honest with you.....lol.....Well, I didn't leave my day job......lol You know, Cunk, your guitar playing really sounds clean. And when I listen to acoustic playing on the radio or on CD's it sounds so clean. When I play and record, even though it sounds clean to my ears when playing, when I listen to the recording, it sounds harsher....what's the trick? What kind of pick gives that clean sound? hmmmmm maybe it is not the pick????

Yep' date=' got it ballcorner. I'm hoping CS also did, so they can finally deal with you once and for all.

Also, FWIW, don't you have a lot of things posted on Youtube? Maybe you'd like people to comment on your songs?[/quote']

Here, have a tissue.

thanks, wily. i actually used no pick for this recording, just the backs off my fingernails like a brushstroke. as for recording, a little compression and a decent dose of reverb, a good condenser mic in close proximity gives me a sound i like. the rest i owe to bozeman.

BTW, i'd like to be on the radio, too!

i also love how this thread won't die! absolutely hilarious!

Archived