Gibson Brands Forums

1977 Gibson SG (need help from experts)

IGbend

Hey guys, I need help IDn this Gibson SG from 1977, the SN# dates back to Dec 21st 1977 production# 144. The information that I've received from the seller is that, this is a rare Gibson SG standard due to the black color since they did not produce any blacks SG in 1977 and also because of the dots and not the standard inlays on the neck, but I have my doubts and this is why I'm here. Here is a picture:

img00404.jpg

Thank you so very much.

is the seller the original owner? The fingerboard is neither bound nor blocked. I was under the impression that all standards were bound and blocked in that time period. Black definitely is not one of the listed colors. Unfortunately without seeing the guitar in person there is no real way to check out to see whether that is in fact the original color of the guitar.

Plays like a charm, the best guitar I've ever played period. I didn't think I could have so much sustain and a perfect low action on a guitar like this. >BUT< the price isn't right; I bought this for 1.7k at GC vintage room. The salesman said that this is a SG STD, it even says on the GC price tag, but I'm 100% sure that this isn't an orignal SG STD so therefore the price shouldn't be this high. I put together a collection of photos of SGs STD from 1977 and SG special, and the one main different is that 1, the dotts on the neck, and 2, there is only one line behind the headstock with the serial number, where SG STD have 3 lines, 1 with the SN#, 2 Made in USA, 3, Gibson SG Standard, and also the case is different for the standard.

I hate to go back and return since they wont give me a discount for ripping me off on this fake advs SG Standard, and in reality it is really a Special. I love the guitar to death but I'm just not willing to pay 50% more of the original price. I'm actually thinking of placing a law suit against them this week, since I have every proof that I needed to prove that this is not a Special when the salesman tells me i'm wrong. I have never thought that GC would be this cheap, the salesman is about to get the phone call of his life this next Thursday. Sucks to be this way.

huh? the back of the headstock stamping has more to do with when the guitar was made, not what type of guitar it is.

The "grain" people are seeing in the topmost post is in fact dithering from a cell phone camera... aka bad picture quality.

The problem still is that neither an SG standard NOR special should have that color as the stock color if it is a 1977. The headstock inlay though shows it to be a standard. Now it says "SG" on the TRC, I don't know if that's correct.

Honestly, I don't know enough to even venture a guess as to what it really is.

Plays like a charm, the best guitar I've ever played period. I didn't think I could have so much sustain and a perfect low action on a guitar like this. >BUT< the price isn't right; I bought this for 1.7k at GC vintage room. The salesman said that this is a SG STD, it even says on the GC price tag, but I'm 100% sure that this isn't an orignal SG STD so therefore the price shouldn't be this high. I put together a collection of photos of SGs STD from 1977 and SG special, and the one main different is that 1, the dotts on the neck, and 2, there is only one line behind the headstock with the serial number, where SG STD have 3 lines, 1 with the SN#, 2 Made in USA, 3, Gibson SG Standard, and also the case is different for the standard.

I hate to go back and return since they wont give me a discount for ripping me off on this fake advs SG Standard, and in reality it is really a Special. I love the guitar to death but I'm just not willing to pay 50% more of the original price. I'm actually thinking of placing a law suit against them this week, since I have every proof that I needed to prove that this is not a Special when the salesman tells me i'm wrong. I have never thought that GC would be this cheap, the salesman is about to get the phone call of his life this next Thursday. Sucks to be this way.

Would this fall under a retail fraud violation? Might send the photo and serial number to Gibson customer support to get the skinny on this axe. I do agree with other posts - this looks like a Special to me because of the dot inlays.

And because we love dirt here please let us know how the phone conversation goes.

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

This is my first post on this site - but I had to jump in on this one.

I have this same guitar - black 1977 Gibson SG. I think it was made Dec 23rd 1977 if I'm not mistaken.

I've talked to Gibson about it through emails before. Does your's say "Made in USA" on the back of the headstock? Mine doesn't - they say that because of that they think there were repairs done to it and when they repainted it, the Made in USA disappeared. Personally, I don't buy it. I've seen the same black 1977 guitar on Ebay before too - I think it's just a run they didn't document or catalog perhaps. It might have been transitional as someone else said.

I agree it is the best guitar I've ever played as well. It can't be a fake - it's quality is so high and it seems to meet all of Gibson's specs as well (volute, serial number font, etc).

I bought mine on Ebay in 2006 for $1000 approx. from the original owner from Arizona. He had 2 of them he told me and used to gig with them constantly. It is all original - no modifications or repairs.

To me - it is worth more than what you paid for it - as I've played many SGs and these ones are really special - whether or not it's a Standard or a 'Special'...

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...

This is a special. they did make these but not sure why they are missing from the catalog.    I've actually been looking or one.  I see them list on reverb as a standard  even standard deluxe ( no such animal)  and they jack the price up because of it.    Anyway, it is a special and a cool guitar none the less.   If anyone has one for sale I would love to hear about it.

Thanks