Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Les Paul - Real or Fake?

Dillon Anderson

I already posted this in the vintage guitar thread but was told I should re-post here for a better response...

This is my first post!

Anyway...

The tour that I'm on made a stop in Pontiac, MI (Outside of Detroit) recently and a friend of mine went to the local "famous" pawn shop and walked out with this...

x2_36838a5.jpg

He paid $7,000 for this guitar and me and our guitar tech think it might be fake!

There is NO SERIAL NUMBER on the back... The guitar is heavy but I've played vintage les paul's with a lot less inlay, 2 pickups, etc that are still even heavier. The inlay is also still perfectly white and if I remember right, it's supposed to age in color a little bit right? I've also never seen gibson pickups with the actual logo on them (like fender's humbuckers)... I tried googling about the pickups but couldn't find anything.

I don't know enough about the guitars to be able to tell a real from a fake but just wanted to see if there was any noticeable red flags from this picture!

We're taking it into the gibson factory when we get to nashville on the tour but wanted to go ahead and post. It's definitely a cool, one-of-a-kind guitar if it's real!!!

I'm working on getting more photo's of it!

thanks!

Dillon

I'll try to get more pics tomorrow... I also forgot to mention the odd shaping on the back of the guitar... the binding has a weird shape to it, ill try to get a clear pic of it tomorrow... but i just drew this up to kind of show what it looks like... has anyone ever seen anything like this? so instead of the binding going to the bottom of the neck, it avoids it completely and does a swoop...

lp.jpg

Yeah, I'm gonna need more photographs.

It's odd for sure, but Gibson has done some really odd stuff over the years.

(Take it from the guy with an SG 12 string...)

Embossed Gibson pickup covers are rare, but not unheard of.

No serial number bugs me.

The neck/heel/joint thing you're talking about lost me.

The line you drew is on a pic of a different guitar?

You're trying to convey what the heel looks like on the guitar in question?

something smells fishy with this one.

First who goes into a pawn shop and plunks down 7 G's on a guitar that may be a fake?

If you are that kinda guy I got some seeds that will grow a tree that sprouts les pauls instead of fruit.

Seeds will only set ya back $500 but think of the profits when your crop comes in. eusa_dance.gif

7 grand for that thing?? [blink]

Unless it's a '68, I don't think that thing will ever have any significant collector value.

Does the actual body follow the binding on the back? Maybe it's a cut for upper fret access like the newer LP Axcess' have?

The lack of a serial number could mean it was refinished at one point. Is the back of the headstock/neck painted? Could also imply it was repaired.

Your friend should also look around the control cavity and underneath the pickups. There might be some sort of info in there somewhere.

May also be able to date it through the pots. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/norlin-years/38463-faq-norlin-identification-1970-1975-a.html

I'll try to get more pics tomorrow... I also forgot to mention the odd shaping on the back of the guitar... the binding has a weird shape to it, ill try to get a clear pic of it tomorrow... but i just drew this up to kind of show what it looks like... has anyone ever seen anything like this? so instead of the binding going to the bottom of the neck, it avoids it completely and does a swoop...

lp.jpg

if the shape is weird at the neck joint, and its cut away like THAT Im guessing

thats a fake [confused]

The binding on my LPC doesn't touch the neck... it's about a 1/16" away from the heel of the neck.

Also looking more at the headstock, the huge diamond inlay is consistent with 79-83 LPC's. Also the overall size of the headstock appears to be the big norlin type.

Can you let us know if the back of the headstock has a volute. Also do the tuners have the wind-out out feature on the tuner buttons. That would normally indicates the guitar in a 81-82 or early 83.

Also the pup selector cavity screw holes for the plate cover are in the correct position.

IMO the guitar is a legitimate Gibson LPC

Am i the only one thinking this could on a one off...?

I think it is.... I has some of the same features my 80 LPC is sporting...

I would also be interested if the pups have the"PAT. NO. 2,737,842" with an additional ink-stamp of "137580." like my pickups. That would help with the date of his friends guitar

I mean ive never seen a guitar like this with that kind of inalys on a gibson...and the 3 pups with a tremlo system like that...

Gibson was installing the Kahlers during the early 80's.... The guitar is missing the locking nut, or it was removed. The only thing that is strange is the lack of a pick-guard. You couldn't use the standard two pup pick-guard on a 3 pup Les Paul. And if it's a one-off, you can almost bet they (Kalamazoo / Nashville) would have installed a pick-guard, unless the original owner ordered it without a pick-guard, or it's been lost...

Certainly better pictures would help. But based on the image that has been posted, it looks real to me.

7 grand for that thing?? [blink]

Unless it's a '68, I don't think that thing will ever have any significant collector value.

Does the actual body follow the binding on the back? Maybe it's a cut for upper fret access like the newer LP Axcess' have?

The lack of a serial number could mean it was refinished at one point. Is the back of the headstock/neck painted? Could also imply it was repaired.

Your friend should also look around the control cavity and underneath the pickups. There might be some sort of info in there somewhere.

May also be able to date it through the pots. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/norlin-years/38463-faq-norlin-identification-1970-1975-a.html

Yes the binding follows the back... that would make since that it would be cut for upper fret access...

I think it is.... I has some of the same features my 80 LPC is sporting...

I would also be interested if the pups have the"PAT. NO. 2,737,842" with an additional ink-stamp of "137580." like my pickups. That would help with the date of his friends guitar

where would that be? on the underside of the pups?

The binding on my LPC doesn't touch the neck... it's about a 1/16" away from the heel of the neck.

Also looking more at the headstock, the huge diamond inlay is consistent with 79-83 LPC's. Also the overall size of the headstock appears to be the big norlin type.

Can you let us know if the back of the headstock has a volute. Also do the tuners have the wind-out out feature on the tuner buttons. That would normally indicates the guitar in a 81-82 or early 83.

Also the pup selector cavity screw holes for the plate cover are in the correct position.

IMO the guitar is a legitimate Gibson LPC

I'll check it out tomorrow, what's a volute? I'll check the tuners...

Awesome! I can't wait to put the nail on this coffin! hah

Thanks for all of the help everyone!

Dillon

Duane V has some good points about the features being similar to 79 - 83 Pauls; I had one....and I do remember something about kalhlers on gibbies around that time as well.....On of the reasons I'm on here is to learn more about the history and facts about Gibsons, as I now have the time, and I appreciate the learning, and the wealth of knowlege shared by you all.....And Duane, I've never been much of a fan of the Melody Maker and LP Jr. type Gibsons until I saw how you modded yours.....This is a serious question; would Gibson ever consider doing regular runs of guitars just like or similar to what you have done to yours ??? I didn't want to suggest Duane V Sig models, but, well yeah, I guess Sig type models of your gibbies ???? And I love their new BB Kings and 2010 Nighthawks....

And Duane, I've never been much of a fan of the Melody Maker and LP Jr. type Gibsons until I saw how you modded yours.....This is a serious question; would Gibson ever consider doing regular runs of guitars just like or similar to what you have done to yours ???

Well Gibson did release the John Lennon limited Gibby JL Juniors, and I would have purchased one, but I hate guitars that come all dinged and scratched up from the factory [scared] .... I'm good with the aging of the hardware, and the slight aging of the paint (no checking though).

I don't think Gibson would be able to do a faded cherry JL LPJ mod like mine and be able keep the cost under $1500 street. Gibson certainly couldn't use the back mounted charlie christian pickup on the satin cherry LPJ's because the neck would cave in on itself. The faded cherry LPJ's have a different neck pocket compared to the historic Gibby LPJ's.

IMO, the price point of the JJ MM's and the faded series guitar are built for players that like modding their guitars.

As for a Duane V sig... This is what I would have Gibson build for me:

Gibson Deluxe with mini hums and Gibson embossed can covers (nickel plated)

ABR1 Bridge with nylon saddles (nickel plated)

Aluminum tailpiece (nickel plated)

Solid mahogany body with a two-piece maple top (Gold top paint)

Ebony fret board, standard inlays (MOP), with jumbo frets

Bone nut

Two piece mahogany neck (with volute)

Nickel waffle-back tuners

Headstock dimensions to a 1972 Deluxe.

My dream guitar [crying]

Difficult to say from one snap but it looks legit to me too.

Like dem00n has suggested I'm guessing it was either custom-built (no pun intended) as a special order or else has been extensively modified and re-finished by a good luthier.

The latter scenario could account for the dressing-away of the heel area and the loss of the serial number. Even the florid inlay-work could have been executed at the time the instrument was altered.

Interesting guitar either way.

P.

Archived