• You cannot reply to this topic

new SG's still have PCB's

#21 User is offline   Bender 4 Life 

• Your Creepy Cousin
  • Group: Members
  • LocationAlabama the Beautiful

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:13 AM

View PostSearcy, on 04 March 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

Lots of Gibson guitars have PCBs. Here's the one in my SG.

Posted Image

identical to my 7/10 post flood standard.

it sounds fantastic!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You won't hurt its feelings boy, play it like you stole it!

I'm a proud supporter of the A.S.P.C.A. and their "Guardian Angel" program.
Speaking up for those that can't speak for theirself,
A.S.P.C.A . We Are Their Voice !

#22 User is offline   Bubbalou88 

• Group: All Access

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:53 AM

View Postrainbowdemon427, on 04 March 2012 - 03:32 AM, said:

There is no PCB (printed circuit board) inside a Gibson guitar. It's simply an alloy plate with the pots and capacitors on it. Built as a unit for ease of production.

See here for a Les Paul example. If you can see any printed circuits, let me know.

Posted Image

My 2016 Gibson SG's is definitely a thick well made circuit board with nice wide copper traces. The board seems to be .090" thick which is very sturdy.
I think they are great as long as you stick to the stock pickups.

#23 User is offline   Bubbalou88 

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:57 AM

View Poststrat-o-steve, on 03 March 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

The PCB in my LP Studio and SG Special seem to be good stuff. Only time will tell though. The pots still have the Gibson logos, and seem to be about the same pots used as before the PCB. I suppose if a fella were good with a soldering iron, changing parts on the PCB wouldn't be so hard at all...... [huh]

Correct

#24 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:19 AM

A PCB in a guitar that I liked would not be a negative. Not one bit... Guitars are super simple circuits and I would almost see a PCB as a positive since a pre-configured wiring scheme is etched in copper. No more burned wires! Soldering is easier on a PCB instead of free-wiring everything IMO. Not that either is hard though... Simply that one is easier than the other. I have modified PCB's for years. Scratch some traces on the PCB and solder jumpers if necessary to mod the circuit connections. You can even cut traces with X-acto. Helps when you have a good soldering iron - like a Pace station of some sort. Get some good electronic grade solder too - you won't regret it. Desoldering tool is a must! Might also be nice to have heat shrink to make things look real clean. I notice the little things like that - and like them! And changing pickups, man these are just wires broken out to some header. Find a way to remove the wires form the receptacles and such if you must and rearrange if possible - or cut wires and jumper to something (e.g. PCB trace/pad, another wire). There are many ways to do this. The end result though should be copper (conductor) making contact with more copper...

This post has been edited by NighthawkChris: 06 December 2017 - 08:20 AM

Typos courtesy of iPhone

#25 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Nanook Rubs It
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:25 AM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 06 December 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

A PCB in a guitar that I liked would not be a negative. Not one bit... Guitars are super simple circuits and I would almost see a PCB as a positive since a pre-configured wiring scheme is etched in copper. No more burned wires! Soldering is easier on a PCB instead of free-wiring everything IMO. Not that either is hard though... Simply that one is easier than the other. I have modified PCB's for years. Scratch some traces on the PCB and solder jumpers if necessary to mod the circuit connections. You can even cut traces with X-acto. Helps when you have a good soldering iron - like a Pace station of some sort. Get some good electronic grade solder too - you won't regret it. Desoldering tool is a must! Might also be nice to have heat shrink to make things look real clean. I notice the little things like that - and like them! And changing pickups, man these are just wires broken out to some header. Find a way to remove the wires form the receptacles and such if you must and rearrange if possible - or cut wires and jumper to something (e.g. PCB trace/pad, another wire). There are many ways to do this. The end result though should be copper (conductor) making contact with more copper...

I had one in an SG and it sounded no different after I ripped out the PCB and wired it conventional.

This post has been edited by FZ Fan: 06 December 2017 - 08:26 AM

1995 - Fender American Standard Jazz Bass with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth Jazz Bass Neck
1997 - Fender American Standard Tele with Rio Grande Pickups
2000 - Gibson SG Special
2003 - Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth Strat Neck
2009 - Gibson BB King "Lucille" Signature Model
2009 - Kala KA-T Tenor Ukulele
2011 - Martin D-28

2014 - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II with Lindy Fralin Pure PAF's
2014 - Martin D-18

Fender Deville 60 Watt Combo Guitar Amp

Fender Blues Jr. 15 Watt Como Guitar Amp with a Weber Speaker
Mesa Transatlantc TA-15 Head 5W/15W/25W Switchable
Egnater Tweaker 40 Watt Combo Guitar Amp (On Loan To My Son)

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Extension Cab with a Weber Speaker
Acoustic B100 Amp 100 Watt Bass Combo Amp
Orange CrushPiX CRL20 20 Watt Guitar Amp

#26 User is offline   Farnsbarns 

• Antelope
  • LocationGodstone, Surrey, England

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:12 AM

This is an ancient thread which has been resurrected, in case anyone didn't notice.

The thing with PCBs in audio circuits is the unwanted capacitance between the board and the track. That said, if you can't hear it, it's not a problem, but in audio circles aluminium boards with a very thin coating to insulate are used to combat the problem.
I'm not drunk, you're blurry.

Farns

#27 User is offline   american cheez 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:22 PM

there are several gibby's with dip switches in them to change the wiring config for phasing/splitting/tapping etc. as long as you have 4 wire pick ups with the correct plug on the nd of the leads, you could swap in one of those boards in minutes.
yakuni tatanai

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users