Gibson Brands Forums

Im going backwards..... new Double Cut body build

Rabs

Evenin all :)

Today I got the neck picket done YAY... I was putting it off a bit cos I was doing a new type of neck pocket and they are really hard to get right.. Mostly where the neck and body meet... The new way im trying it (the proper way :)) is to have a lip around the neck joint so it hides the sides of the neck pocket... Which in its self isn't that bad, but including the neck angle on the lip is really hard to get 100% right...

But before we get to that I have the results of my binding glue test...

So, wood glue is poor.. While they did all hold the wood glue came off without much pressure (that last one is Titebond which I just decided to do cos, well why not :))

DSC_1012_zpscvh8wjla.jpg

So then I did a destruction test and saw how much pressure I could put on them.. And the Super Glue did best with the binding snapping and not moving off the wood at all.. then the Acetone which did hold on well but came off without snapping the binding and the cement was next least successful..

DSC_1013_zpsdzwr1rop.jpg

That super glue REALLY does the job well

DSC_1014_zpstxjhmex7.jpg

So in conclusion to that.. Don't use wood glue, it sort of works but not... Super Glue has the strongest bond, but acetone requires no clean up (which SG is a pain in the bum).. I will do a full test next before I do it on this build.... Maybe I will do a body with half super glue and half acetone to see what works best and whats easiest.

So.. next is to start marking out the positions of the hardware and the neck pocket.

DSC_1015_zpsyh5nvc6y.jpg

Then I have to thin the tennon down a bit so I can make a lip around the join.

DSC_1016_zpsdernbotx.jpg

Then I mark the neck pocket

DSC_1020_zpsr8ulkyfw.jpg

I have angled the tennon so you get a neck angle (4 degree). But I will double check all of that when im ready to glue it to the body to make sure it will be the right angle for the bridge.

DSC_1021_zps6vyrwda4.jpg

And done :)

DSC_1023_zpscear7qfd.jpg

And ready for gluing [thumbup] (the Utile tennon will be covered by a pickguard).

DSC_1027_zpsnadbhk7r.jpg

So tomorrow I will route for the neck binding and glue it, ready for the neck gluing on Thursday .. Cant wait [thumbup]

More soon :)

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one is looking good Rabs!

Thank you sir :)

I really cant wait to get this body and neck glued and as one... Im still deciding about binding.. Because.. I went a bit further back with the fretboard than I usually do which means that some kind of bevelling at the horns would help with the upper fret access.. but you cant really do that with binding?

So I am still thinking :rolleyes:

Hello all..

So today I spent most of it fine tuning the body.. just making sure its all sanded and ready and then I didn't do a test bind, I just went ahead and did it on the build :unsure: Fingers crossed [-o<

So.. everything at the ready.. and even though this shows the Acetone, right at the last second I decided to use the super glue, the reason being that top horn is tight, and the binding is quite thick.. So I was worried I wouldn't be able to get enough pressure there with the tape.

DSC_1028_zpswnekwefr.jpg

Heres the binding channel

DSC_1029_zpsga8qz2np.jpg

And done.. I was way too focused to take pics during the process :) and im really glad I used that super glue, as I thought that top horn gave me some issues even with the super glue so I used a clamp on it which did the job (hopefully :))

DSC_1031_zps9aeboxmc.jpg

It looks ok from what I can see.. We will find out tomorrow

DSC_1032_zpsnrubtwa5.jpg

DSC_1033_zpsan0xjsxl.jpg

So there we go.. My first binding done... Then tomorrow the neck gets a good gluing ...

More then [thumbup] and as always.. Thanks for watching :)

Very cool :) I recall seeing binding "tied" on during various factory tour videos, perhaps something to consider along with the tape if you run into issues?

cheers man..

and yes, I have seen the famous Gibson factory tour where they show that.. I may try as you say a combination next time...

Also the clamp worked really well so maybe I will do a mix of all three [rolleyes] :)

cheers man..

and yes, I have seen the famous Gibson factory tour where they show that.. I may try as you say a combination next time...

Also the clamp worked really well so maybe I will do a mix of all three [rolleyes] :)

Stewmac also sells the Reeeaaaallly big rubber bands for securing binding too.

-Ryan

Hello and welcome back...

Today was a good one.. Neck gluing time :D

But first the binding... Its came out ok.. not quite 100% but lets call it 98.5% :) there was just a few areas were the binding wasn't quite up to the body but we are talking like .02 of a mm or something tiny like that (mostly near the tip of the horns).. And theres not much I can do about it as there is glue in that gap or I would fill it...

Anyway.. I think for my first go its not bad at all..

So the first thing is that when you make your binding channel you should do it so the binding is just peaking over the top then you scrape it down after its glued to make it flush. Its much easier than trying to cut the exact height...

So I did so with a scraper

DSC_1037_zpsgtiw7rw6.jpg

NICE :)

DSC_1038_zpsto0cwsb3.jpg

DSC_1040_zps8n81bj13.jpg

DSC_1055_zpsy22j7uru.jpg

DSC_1058_zpsqgbqwqs3.jpg

Now you will see in this one that I didn't quite get the binding right up to the neck pocket.. But I have a remedy for that which we will see later.

DSC_1047_zpsye6y9yyp.jpg

which is why I kept the shavings.. mix those with some acetone and you get like a plastic putty..

DSC_1052_zpsqvnwuhku.jpg

Then just before gluing, I checked the neck angle which is fine

DSC_1060_zps9ng3yjfo.jpg

And its glued :D

DSC_1069_zpsdrsddj3h.jpg

More below

So.. yes.. all is looking good

DSC_1072_zps9uj7afkh.jpg

Now its glued and clamped I double check the neck angle again (as it can move)... but its looking fine [thumbup]

DSC_1073_zpsyeiruxra.jpg

Here you can see where I added my little plastic putty/acetone mix to fill that small gap.. doesn't look too bad I think

DSC_1075_zpswanpqtcl.jpg

So im happy with that.. Will leave that to set over night

DSC_1079_zpsa9mkmfna.jpg

and from the back

DSC_1082_zpssyjdf67t.jpg

DSC_1088_zps5obehnb0.jpg

Sweet... so tomorrow its pickup hole routing time :) then we are almost there [thumbup]

More soon.

lookin good mate [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Cheers man...

Cant wait to get this one finished :) All this gluing takes its time cos you have to leave it a day to set properly..

Still.. Almost there.. I just now need to decide what colour I want to put on it .. So far im down to red, blue, yellow or brown (all dark).. lol :)

Dude, you should have a show at Discovery Channel.

Something like American Chopper but with Guitars. And if you need a funny aprentice or someone to fight with (not that I want to fight with you but, no fight's no show), please call me.

Nice work!

Ha... I wish :)

As much as what I have done is good and ive done it self taught style... I know for a fact there are some guys on here who know way more than I do and know all the tricks.. im still learning.. BUT, I am pretty open minded about what I build and what materials and hardware I use..

Which im hoping will be an advantage... but can be a pain as I change my mind very often [rolleyes] :)

Hello all..

Well today I decided just to leave that DC build and let the neck set for another day, which will now be the weekend.. Its probably not necessary but ever since my first build failed cos I compeletly somehow mucked up the neck angle which was going the wrong way in the end so now every time I do a neck joint id rather let it set for a couple of days just to be sure...

So I did some work on that single cut body I bought.. which is half African mahogany (the top) and half Brazilian mahogany.. I really wanted to cut it into a double cut shape but I was told it was chambered so didn't want to take the chance..

So a single cut it will be (but I will finish it in my own unique style :)) and cos the wood is so nice I think I will leave it natural, but I will decide that nearer the time.. And I think im going to use some black binding on it :)

You may remember (I think theres a shot of it earlier in the thread) it was just as thick as my DC build so I have done the same thing again and slimmed the top down to a more reasonable level.

DSC_1045_zps6ssf7k0q.jpg

and as you can probably see ive made the binding channel

DSC_1049_zpslojkydea.jpg

and this is what the back looks like

DSC_1053_zpsg7woj6om.jpg

and the neck which is having the fretboard (ebony) and headstock wings glued on.

DSC_1058_zpsjuywif2t.jpg

so this one is coming along nicely too.. [thumbup]

More soon.. and have a great weekend all :)

Really loving this thread, Rabs! Looking into building my own, soon, and posts like yours are helpful and highlight things I've left out of the process; all very helpful! Looking forward to the end results on both builds!

Really loving this thread, Rabs! Looking into building my own, soon, and posts like yours are helpful and highlight things I've left out of the process; all very helpful! Looking forward to the end results on both builds!

And yes so far this looks like it will be my first perfect build (or what I have in my head as perfect).. The others I have made are good guitars to play and sound good (which is the main thing) but aesthetically I didn't think they were quite there, almost, but not quite... so im hoping these next two will be the ones...

And im glad you are going to try doing it, its not quite as hard as people think.. Its more that as you say theres lots of these small little techniques that you have to get right first.. and all that takes is trying it once or twice on some scrap wood and researching as many vids and other forums as you can to try and find the best methods. One of things that I did that has actually enabled me to do this is I found a great wood supplier, so I have as much as I need (and nice hard wood too) to practice on and build with than I could have asked for (I found a local joinery company). And before I found that guy, I would drive around a local industrial estate and grab pallets and bits that were left out to be thrown away (oh and old doors in skips :)) so I had test wood.

But if you have any questions at all, always feel free to ask me, I will be happy to help if I can :)

Good luck and let us see what you are up too.. would be great to see someone elses build [thumbup]

All I need to do now is decide what colour to make this double cut :-k ;)

And yes so far this looks like it will be my first perfect build (or what I have in my head as perfect).. The others I have made are good guitars to play and sound good (which is the main thing) but aesthetically I didn't think they were quite there, almost, but not quite... so im hoping these next two will be the ones...

And im glad you are going to try doing it, its not quite as hard as people think.. Its more that as you say theres lots of these small little techniques that you have to get right first.. and all that takes is trying it once or twice on some scrap wood and researching as many vids and other forums as you can to try and find the best methods. One of things that I did that has actually enabled me to do this is I found a great wood supplier, so I have as much as I need (and nice hard wood too) to practice on and build with than I could have asked for (I found a local joinery company). And before I found that guy, I would drive around a local industrial estate and grab pallets and bits that were left out to be thrown away (oh and old doors in skips :)) so I had test wood.

But if you have any questions at all, always feel free to ask me, I will be happy to help if I can :)

Good luck and let us see what you are up too.. would be great to see someone elses build [thumbup]

All I need to do now is decide what colour to make this double cut :-k ;)

What kind of image do you have in mind for it, if any? I would suggest a colour you don't see all that often; something different, possibly outlandish. You don't see many blue guitars compared to reds, bursts, etc. what colour are you missing from your collection...?

Thanks for your offer of help; I shall most certainly be calling on you when the time comes!

What kind of image do you have in mind for it, if any? I would suggest a colour you don't see all that often; something different, possibly outlandish. You don't see many blue guitars compared to reds, bursts, etc. what colour are you missing from your collection...?

Thanks for your offer of help; I shall most certainly be calling on you when the time comes!

If you go look at page 2 of this thread you will see some mock ups I made near the top and then nearer the bottom you will see the real life colour stains that I have....

And this is the thing, I keep changing my mind.. I LOVE dark red guitars but that's a personal preference (and I am actually gonna try and sell this if it comes out good enough) ive also always liked amber guitars but the blue one does seem to stand out a bit more... but they all generally look nice to me.. And I have also thought of a dark brown rosewood finish.. which also looked nice [rolleyes]

At the moment blue is what im leaning towards.. BUT that could change at any given moment :) And for that single cut I am going to make it natural finish with black binding and black and chrome hardware.

Hello all and welcome back...

Today I had some frustration... But some good stuff too (you get days like that) :)

So I started off on the pickguard... I flattened the tennon area and got that scratchplate on to see what needs doing.. where that blue masking tape is, is where im going to cut. (not the tape on the fretboard, that's just there for protection).

DSC_1062_zpstdtin8a1.jpg

and cut :) Next is that bottom area near where the controls will be

DSC_1063_zpsieojjgmw.jpg

and done.. happy with that [thumbup]

DSC_1065_zpspc1qtudq.jpg

DSC_1066_zpsn0u9zuu2.jpg

Then I use a scratchplate that I got as a template for the pups and holes.

DSC_1067_zpsatc5dnih.jpg

I notice though that the hummer doesn't fit

DSC_1068_zpsfifzbfbc.jpg

so I sand it down

DSC_1070_zpssao3qwg5.jpg

sorted :)

DSC_1075_zpsgsngthrc.jpg

Then I make way for the TOM bridge

DSC_1076_zpsym1mwuzm.jpg

cool [thumbup]

DSC_1077_zpsalcwipd2.jpg

more below