Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP or Gibson LP?

Aster1

UCSF,

I'm rather picky to with most all things I own. I think what Milo was saying it depending on the model it may be within what Gibson has for allowable tolerances for the fretboard to neck fitting. And he's not naive on about anything I've ever read that he's written. His thought thru answers and understanding of things is quite an asset.

What I will say is, like you, if it didn't fit the way I liked it or knew that it could have, I'd be disappointed. Esp. if I'd dumped much $$ into it. I would have, however returned it and not allowed that to continue to disappoint me or had it fixed to the level I'd love it.

Most of the guitars you listed, while well made guitars & have a following, are almost off the radar with the volume of products in the market place. If any of them had to produce the guitars that Gibson does to keep up the demand, do you still think that they would fit/finish the same? It does become a trade off with that.

I can't really see in your photo much other than a small gap between the fretboard & neck. Is that the problem or was it's too wide a fretboard over the top fit on the neck? Did you ever take it into a Gibson warranty center or contact Gibson C/S to see if they'd make it right? If so, what was the response as they've been very good at having anything I brought to their attention corrected (small simple flaws on acoustics) to my satisfaction. Did you fix it already?

Aster

Thanks. And I know what he was saying, or at least meant to say. I think he said it without thinking - which happens all the time - then it'll hit him how silly what he said was. You don't purposely design imperfections like this into a guitar.

I don't know what to do with this Gibson. I never paid attention to it, since I bought it for a collection. I bought it 6 months ago and noticed it this month. I seriously doubt Gibson will do anything about it after this long a period. I'm better off lacquering the guitar, which will blend in that edge so it's imperceptible to the fingers. It really does need a coat of lacquer anyway. This particular Gibson was $899 MAP, but I managed to get it new, unopened box for $470 from an authorized dealer. So in a sense, not that big of a deal. I'll live.

But the big point I'm making is it's about the GUITAR, not the BRAND. Every one of the guitar giants (Gibson, Fender, Martin, Taylor) have released high priced crap, while the lesser companies can create a low-priced piece of art.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. And I know what he was saying, or at least meant to say. I think he said it without thinking - which happens all the time - then it'll hit him how silly what he said was. You don't purposely design imperfections like this into a guitar.

I don't know what to do with this Gibson. I never paid attention to it, since I bought it for a collection. I bought it 6 months ago and noticed it this month. I seriously doubt Gibson will do anything about it after this long a period. I'm better off lacquering the guitar, which will blend in that edge so it's imperceptible to the fingers. It really does need a coat of lacquer anyway. This particular Gibson was $899 MAP, but I managed to get it new, unopened box for $470 from an authorized dealer. So in a sense, not that big of a deal. I'll live.

But the big point I'm making is it's about the GUITAR, not the BRAND. Every one of the guitar giants (Gibson, Fender, Martin, Taylor) have released high priced crap, while the lesser companies can create a low-priced piece of art.

So all Gibsons are crap because you are not happy with your MelodyMaker? That's not high priced crap. And learn some respect. Milod replied to your query with respect and good observations and you basically tell him he's an idiot. What are you, 12?

Thanks Zeplin - to me its a beauty and I highly recommend trying them out to anyone thinking about potentially buying an older solidbody.

That's all that matters. I get what you are saying about image and I am sure that if someone who knew guitars saw mine and then heard me play there would be whispers of 'what is he doing with that. He isn't good enough for that guitar'. When I was younger it would have bothered me but now I say it is what makes me happy and if you don't like it then shag off.

I posted earlier I played one guitar and amp for 20+ years. In the age of instant gratification I have noticed resentment from people who want everything yesterday. Keep practicing and you get there.

So all Gibsons are crap because you are not happy with your MelodyMaker? That's not high priced crap. And learn some respect. Milod replied to your query with respect and good observations and you basically tell him he's an idiot. What are you, 12?

You're acting 12 right now.

When did I say ALL Gibsons are crap? What I said was that they release high priced crap every once in a while, suggesting consumers should inspect the guitar before they buy. They can't rely on the Gibson name, and they definately shouldn't put down the Epiphone name. Every Gibson I own has imperfections. That includes my $3400 2013 LP Standard Premium (but fewer than the LP Studio Goldtop, whose neck is pictured above).

But this is beating a dead horse. It' obvious you weren't quite the A student in high school.

I'd be a bit disappointed with it too to be honest. As you've only just noticed it I wonder if it might have suffered fretboard shrinkage. Do you, by any chance, keep it anywhere subject to temperature fluctuations such as a garage or a basement, especially out of its case? Alternatively, if it is a separation of fretboard from neck (EDIT: or just badly finished work) then you can rest assured that Gibsons are covered by warranty for defects such as this. You should contact Gibson about it.

As has been intimated above these Gibsons are (custom shop aside) production line instruments that are made in significant numbers. Bad eggs can leave the factory. Luckily you do have course for redress.

For what it's worth, I well considered what I wrote, and it's 50 years since I was in high school.

And, when I was in high school, logic and rhetoric together were a major emphasis, albeit largely Aristotelian for both, whether in English class or others that required papers written and logical support of any thesis involved.

In this particular case, I haven't seen the specs for whatever guitar series was illustrated.

I apologize if it's silly to wish to see the specs before I "assume" that because something doesn't meet expectations that it also doesn't meet specifications, regardless of a given example of guitar that doesn't meet one's expectations.

Specs and expectations are significantly different.

That's neither defending nor attacking Gibson - simply noting a fact about the complaint and a presumption that the fingerboard did not meet specs.

I simply expect logical argument, not assumptions, when it comes to a complaint.

If one prefers illogical argument based on one's preferences, then it's into the realm of Martial's famous epigram: Non amo te, Sabidi, nec possum dicere - quare; Hoc tantum possum dicere, non amo te; and it's equally famed translation of, "I do not love thee, Dr Fell, The reason why I cannot tell; But this I know, and know full well, I do not love thee, Dr Fell."

That latter can be great fun, but it's a matter of opinion, not fact.

m

These are the core issues. People don't know what to look for in a quality guitar. They look into brands, not the instruments themselves. Their opinions matter less because they don't know what they're doing.

I don't care about your views of Epiphone and Gibsons. What you say here speaks all I need to know about you. I am offended by your selfpromoting babble by declaring we don't know what to look for. I asked you before what makes you an expert compared anybody else on here. You made the direct comparison to Epi and Gibson pros and cons. Then you directly call members naive. Give me a break.

Unless you axe them, & Gibson refuses to do anything, you haven't given them a just chance to correct anything. Also, $900 MAP with USA costs & regs is prolly like a $300 guitar from China you know. That may be expecting too much from that value guitar. I was thinking, without knowing for sure the models, that it must be a couple of thousand from the sounds of the issue. Are you sure the dealer didn't get a "deal" on a less than standard run items?

Aster

I'm going to step into the neck/fretboard seam fray.

The picture looks like the fretboard has shrunk a bit faster than the neck, since the guitar was manufactured. This can happen if the guitar was made in a high humidity climate, or the fretboard was cut and glued to the neck before it was fully cured.

It generally happens to some extent once a guitar hits a dry climate. If the neck wood and fretboard have been cured to a consistent level of dryness before assembly, then the pieces "Shrink" at a more equal rate.

This usually shows up as sharp fret ends.

It only shows that the woods did not dry at the same speed, and looks bad, even though they were probably dead even on the day of manufacture.

I'm going to step into the neck/fretboard seam fray.

The picture looks like the fretboard has shrunk a bit faster than the neck, since the guitar was manufactured. This can happen if the guitar was made in a high humidity climate, or the fretboard was cut and glued to the neck before it was fully cured.

It generally happens to some extent once a guitar hits a dry climate. If the neck wood and fretboard have been cured to a consistent level of dryness before assembly, then the pieces "Shrink" at a more equal rate.

This usually shows up as sharp fret ends.

It only shows that the woods did not dry at the same speed, and looks bad, even though they were probably dead even on the day of manufacture.

Good point!! We don't know if the guitar has been in the proper humidity with the owner or the dealer prior to the owner. The fretboard would shrink long before the neck in too dry conditions. Totally overlooked that possibility.

Aster

more than Epi vs Gibson, it's "which" Epi & "which" Gibson, & unfair for gibson fanboys to compare an entry-level Epi to a top priced Gibson.

if you're paying $700 the Epiphone will be a better instrument.

I agree. My $729 Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty 3 sounds, feels and plays as good if not better than any Gibson Les Paul that I have played.

After all of the praise I heaped on Epiphone ...

Went cab shopping at a Big guitar store yesterday, Took my amp. The nice dude set me up with cable, space and told me grab gits and go for it.

First, I grabbed an Epi LP Custom that was labeled as having the pups as mine at home; ProbBuckers 2 & 3. I could hear nothing out of the amp clean channel and noisy but undriven out of the drive channel. I tried another cab. Same ... Great, my new amp died on the way, so this was 4 hours round trip wasted and my new amp is dead.

I grabbed another Epi LP on a whim and plugged it into my amp, the guitar and the cab worked great! Wait, what the? ... The pup switch on this one is backwards - down for the neck.

I put stuff away, generally cleaning up after myself and wheel the soon-to-be my cab up front. I explain to the nice dude (with the dept mgr name badge) that the first guitar I tried is DOA and the second is wired incorrectly. He smiles and shrugs it off saying, "Yeah, if you checked all of the new ones hanging here, about 1 in 8 would have a problem like that."

The good news is I was able to accomplish what I set out to do and my new amp is alive and well.

Caution: Epis are great when you get a good one, but check 'em over really good before you bring 'em home.

I have both a ultra 3 and a Gibson 1980 heritage and a 2013 zoot suit Les Paul. they are all great guitars in my opinion ....

That Zoot Suit LP is interesting to me. I'm curious as to how many layers of wood they used in that. I know that they individually dyed each one before gluing them together.

From GR, huh? I'm in Kentwood, near the airport...

not trying to get into your argument (go easy on me... I'm a new guy)... I can give some observations of my own. Back in 1974 I bought a brand new Gibson Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst for $600 (if I remember correctly) and had to sell her in 1982 when I wanted to start a family and needed money. I lost $0 on the sale. I sold her for $600. She was a sweeeet sounding guitar and I wish I had her back. Fast forward to about 2008 I got the bug again. I started checking out the new Gibsons, Epi's and other brands. I can tell you this.... the Stock Epiphone these days are evry bit as nice, if not better, than my old '74 Gibby. In fact, I bought a Michael Kelly Patriot than is as good as the old Gibby. I hafta say that the '70's may be a little foggy to me, hehehe, but I do remember the old guitar and it was no better than the Epi's they're putting out now. Epiphone in the '70's were regarded as almost disposable guitars, at least the Gibson clones were. I'd say Epiphone has come a LONG way in guitar production. I just recently bought a new Epiphone ES339 that is a frickin' work of art, in my opinion. I have not tried the Gibson version of the ES339 but I can't see how it could play or sound much better. Just one man's opinion.... I could be wrong.

I rather like the comment Cheapshoes made before changing it <grin> that it really has to do with a guitar that speaks to you and fits your budget.

Two of my own "I really don't care much for" guitars are extremely popular across the price ranges, the LP and the Strat.

OTOH, I understand how some folks would love them.

I don't understand how some of those who love them wouldn't realize that each is different from all others regardless of price. I think you're more likely to get a more sophisticated piece with more cash, but that a particular "sophistication" may or may not be what trips your trigger.

I like a given type of neck. I dislike certain kinds of necks because they just don't play how I do. It may be because of what I have become used to and adjusted my technique to or... not. But that's how it is.

Epis are great instruments for what they are. Some Squiers are also incredibly capable instruments for what they are.

Fenders in general have not spoken to me other than the basses. Why? I dunno. I think it's the maple necks or just a feeling that I wasn't playing a guitar but rather a guitar-like instrument. I've not felt that way with Gibbie or Epi pieces, even the solidbodies. Why? I think it's the feel of the necks.

Others disagree and... that's fine.

I think the bottom line, though, is that instead of ascribing motives to others for their guitar preferences, we collectively should be the happiest generation of guitar players in history because we have so many marvelous choices at so many price points. I guarantee it wasn't like that 50 years ago.

m

This has been quite a interesting subject to say the least . When I was in my 20's , I would only play Fender Strats , and nothing else. Now that I'm in my 50's I've come to accept that variety is the spice of life . I now have 4 guitars , a MIA Fender Strat , MIM Standard Fender Strat , and 2 Epiphones, one of which is my beloved Goth Les Paul Studio and the other is my recently acquired faded Vintage series G-400 in the Cherry red finish. To me, it really doesn't matter where they are made, because I know that my guitars are high quality, well made instruments which I will never get rid of. They bring me happiness and are all a joy to play and IMO, isn't that what playing guitar is all about ?

Archived