Gibson Brands Forums

Suddenly developed intonation issues

wiggy

The tuning on my LP is usually rock solid with only a small tweak required here and the intonation is usually bang on the nail.

When I picked it up yesterday I noticed that the tuning had gone right out (-15 cents) and the intonation across all the strings has gone to +10 cents. I found I was having to retune after every number I played (tuning drifting back to around -5 to -10) so I know the strings are pretty much shot

I checked the neck and that hasn't moved a mm so it isn't that affecting the intonation.

My question is - Can the strings going off affect intonation to that amount?

Wiggy,

I've always read & heard that it could, but I wouldn't think that much. So you don't see any change in the string height action as well as the relief being right on the button? Has it been exposed to hot or cold, or too dry since it was "right?"

Aster

Pippy,

I've always read & heard that it could, but I wouldn't think that much. So you don't see any change in the string height action as well as the relief being right on the button? Has it been exposed to hot or cold, or too dry since it was "right?"

Aster

Nope very little variation in temperature or humidity (this is the UK in spring remember sad.gif)

Even more confused now - I was using the built in tuners from Line 6 Pod Farm and Amplitube (both of which gave the same readings). When I rechecked the intonation using my clip on tuner and my Korg AT2 they both read on the nail when I checked the intonation (+/- 1 cent)

Wonder if there is some form of latency error kicking in with the software tuners.

Wiggy,

Hello. Haven't talked in a while. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I've had three strings go completely wack on me in 50 years of playing.

The odds of all six doing it all at once has got to be phenomenal.

I'd put my money on tuner problems.

Had your situation happen once in reverse.

I have an old Korg from the 80's. It is my favorite tuner. It has a manual calibration that allows you to set it to the

frequency of a built in quartz crystal. It is accurate within 1c.

All at once I was getting nuts-o readings. All string readings were fine according to all my other tuners.

Took the Korg apart and re-did the connections. Worked like new after that.

Maybe there is a software reset on your Line 6?

Let us know what you find.

Willy

I've had three strings go completely wack on me in 50 years of playing.

The odds of all six doing it all at once has got to be phenomenal.

I'd put my money on tuner problems.

I'm thinking the same thing as Willy. I've had the occasional string go bad but all 6 at once? I'd trust the Korg.

Archived