Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Riviera Elite

batwing

2003 Epiphone Elite Riviera

After years of owning various Riviera's, Japanese, Korean I finally got my hands on this.

Elites, Elitist or original's seldom appear in Australia so I'm wrapped to get this for a good price, $1150.

Neck profile is perfect for me, a little slimmer than others I've owned.

Switched the knobs and truss rod cover apart from that needed nothing needed to done.

image-1-1.jpg

This is a guitar that, imho should be offered and in the lineup.

Very unlikely it would ever happen again as a Terada-made Elitist.

Note that the stock model had a Frequensator rather than the Bigsby,

but still a great & rare find!

That is beautiful! Congrats! I've been after one of those for a while. I've owned Korean and Japanese ones as well. How does it compare?

Comparing it to my MIJ 80s , that one had humbuckers, a chunkier neck, double block inlays, it also sounded flat/dull acoustically.

My other current Riviera is a MIK with gold hardware and Bigsby, a special run made for Yamano, a Japanese Epi distributor I believe.

It's electrics and pickups let it down so I got new pots and Gibson mini-humbuckers installed, made a world of difference, like the MIJ it's neck is a little chunkier than the Elite.

The Elite's neck is just perfect, weight and profile, the fret board is smooth with very little fret wear.

Very unlikely it would ever happen again as a Terada-made Elitist.

Note that the stock model had a Frequensator rather than the Bigsby,

but still a great & rare find!

I actually prefer the Frequensator to the Bigsby, but I'm not complaining [biggrin]

I' ll keep an eye out for a stock one, in cherry!

Archived