Gibson Brands Forums

Gold Hardware Tarnishing

jc120amp

Hey, I have a older Epiphone Les Paul Custom and the gold plated pickups and tuners have tarnished over the years. What is something to do to help keep the new Sheraton II from doing the same.. Thanks in advance for any help you could provide.

Is it me or does the tarnished gold hardware shorten string life as well...I have 3 epiphones, ONE of them is a dot with gold hardware...bridge/tail, pup covers, tuners...and the strings on this guitar NEVER last nearly as long as my others, they get gunked up, corroded, dead, quickly and I dont even play this guitar the most

never ever buy a guitar with gold hardware again...not me

I have two guitars with that issue from the day they were "new". I think just from being displayed an played in the store. I have yet to see a store that wipes the guitars down after each day. Unfortunately, I feel this a permanent change - as any major tarnish remover would just remove the gold layer even more. But honestly, I don't know.

Hey, I have a older Epiphone Les Paul Custom and the gold plated pickups and tuners have tarnished over the years. What is something to do to help keep the new Sheraton II from doing the same.. Thanks in advance for any help you could provide.

That has always been a problem with Epi's gold plating. Only thing I can think of is to wipe it down after playing it.

I have two guitars with that issue from the day they were "new". I think just from being displayed an played in the store. I have yet to see a store that wipes the guitars down after each day. Unfortunately, I feel this a permanent change - as any major tarnish remover would just remove the gold layer even more. But honestly, I don't know.

I have read that tarnish removers and polishes will strip the plating off.

I have a number of Epi's with gold hardware. It can stay in good condition indefinitely, if you wipe it down with a soft cloth (or old washcloth or your shirttail) after every time you play it, and that only takes a few seconds. Most players don't do that & the sweat, oil, and dirt on their hands causes the tarnishing. I also use guitar polish to keep the wood parts, especially the neck, from getting covered in old sweat (which looks and feels awful).

There are some individuals with a body chemistry that corrodes metals, and they can kill strings in a matter of days. I knew one guy that had to put on new strings for every gig (and he was gigging often), because he sweated a lot and his strings would go dead in no time. If you're one of these guys, youy're going to be hard on gold hardware too.

If you can spare 5 or 10 seconds to wipe down your bridge, tailpiece, and PU covers before you put your guitar back in it's case, you can keep gold hardware looking nice for a long time. To me it's worth it, I love the way it looks. If you're not that disciplined, you're much better off with chrome or nickel; those are a lot more forgiving.

i have only one guitar with gold tuners its a ej 200. i dont like the looks of gold but its just my preference. that being said the only way to stop wear is a coating onit. like they do with brass beds to keep them from tarnishing.. usually a coat of clear lacquer.. only way to fix tarnished gold to my knowledge is a bright dip. or replating. having it done is expensive.. but caswell plating supply sells a gold plating kit.. i personally havent used that one but had good luck with there nickel and chrome kits in the past . prep is everything though. prep and polishing.

I have a number of Epi's with gold hardware. It can stay in good condition indefinitely, if you wipe it down with a soft cloth (or old washcloth or your shirttail) after every time you play it, and that only takes a few seconds. Most players don't do that & the sweat, oil, and dirt on their hands causes the tarnishing. I also use guitar polish to keep the wood parts, especially the neck, from getting covered in old sweat (which looks and feels awful).

There are some individuals with a body chemistry that corrodes metals, and they can kill strings in a matter of days. I knew one guy that had to put on new strings for every gig (and he was gigging often), because he sweated a lot and his strings would go dead in no time. If you're one of these guys, youy're going to be hard on gold hardware too.

If you can spare 5 or 10 seconds to wipe down your bridge, tailpiece, and PU covers before you put your guitar back in it's case, you can keep gold hardware looking nice for a long time. To me it's worth it, I love the way it looks. If you're not that disciplined, you're much better off with chrome or nickel; those are a lot more forgiving.

Nickel tarnishes too. I actually like the look of tarnished nickel cause it gives that vintage, well-played look. I rarely clean my guitars other than to dust them. You won't have to worry about that with Epis since they use chrome. Tarnished, peeling, pitted gold hardware looks awful though.

I had an Epi with gold hardware once. I couldn't keep the darn hardware from turning green to save my life! The problem seemed worse when left in a case for any length of time. Sometimes off-gassing from plastic parts/finishes on the guitar can cause corrosion on the hardware if left in a case. Also, the case itself can tarnish hardware too, either due to moisture in the case itself, or off-gassing from chemicals in the case materials. Otherwise, leaving the guitar out on a stand, in a controlled environment seemed to work best for me. Just wipe your guitars down well after playing. Some people's sweat acts like acid on the finish and hardware!

Archived