Gibson Brands Forums

The sound of 50 years

E-minor7

In this case the much talked about 1963 square shouldered Southern Jumbo. We are talking adjustable bridge.

This spring featuring the normal sized bone/wood saddle rosewood insert is exchanged with a tusq insert, screws and all.

It generates more volume and provides that certain mix of dry and wet voice I try to develop or refine in the different Gibsons.

Some might find the bass too strong, but it's often preferred here as it suits my general style.

Besides the trebs on these guitars often get very sharp if they are not held back – here with duct tape, chewing gum and wooden pins.

You will hear a trace of the - also frequently mentioned - slightly hollow high end on 0:55-strum, but in all in that issue seems to be under control.

Strings – Newtone Masterclass12-54 bronze precisely 6 month old.

Not a tune, nor a composition, just free doodling in mid air.

Listen in headphones for the right impression.

https://soundcloud.c...-southern-jumbo

https://soundcloud.com/nitebeach

Link works fine for me. What do you have that guitar tuned to? Some guitars are just meant to be tuned down, and this may be one of them.

I think because you're a professional musician you are more attuned to the subtleties of tone than most of us. You certainly enjoy messing around with it.

You can get a lot out of any guitar, as far as I can tell.

Link takes me to the login page. I have never had to log in before and don't have an ID with them. I have had that with a couple of other links to Sound Cloud but most work fine.

Would love to hear it.

Strange. The link worked for me the first time, but doesn't work now. Maybe the gatekeeper was on a pee break the first time I tried it.

Never had this trouble with soundcloud before.

Half of the times the pages says : OH NO - something went wrong

Don't know what happens - I tried another angle.

Nick - did you see/get the my whole collection or just the SJ-test ?

Now I can use your first link again, but the second asks for a log-in. I can link to five of your sound files, but don't know if there are more that don't show up. The earliest file showing is the firebird one.

How terribly annoying - don't know what to do next. . .

I think I know the problem, had it before.

You need to make sure the soundcloud link extension is not 'you' but your soundcloud name / track name. Fiddle with it a bit so extension reflects your soundcloud name.

I think I know the problem, had it before.

You need to make sure the soundcloud link extension is not 'you' but your soundcloud name / track name. Fiddle with it a bit so extension reflects your soundcloud name.

Have now re-established the thing - pasted the links via Chrome. It works here.

https://soundcloud.c...-southern-jumbo

https://soundcloud.com/nitebeach

That's working well. And it does much to caution those who are quick to discount the ADJ guitars. Your experiments show that nicely.

So, you grabbed a pick at t = :30? The "hollow" anomaly as heard at t = :55 could've been an

occasional strike a bit closer to the bridge(?).

Sounds good. Nice mic, too.

You will hear a trace of the - also frequently mentioned - slightly hollow high end on 0:55-strum, but in all in that issue seems to be under control.

I don't mind that "hollow" high-end ring at all. It reminds me of the guitar (can't remember which one it was) that Lennon was playing on "I'm looking through You".

Sorted Em7

when posting ya links..do as EA advises and make sure its the correct title in link... I would also always remove the 'S' from the ' https:// ' start of the link..this is just a security measure not needed and can cause problems with certain links...anyways

sounds really good as usaul... just how are you recording this stuff.... I know you ahve an engineer sometimes,,is it always

i would really like to know the complete signal and mastering chain..as In... what compressor is used..is it outboard or part of the DAW.. I know the mics.. but just how is this getting into the MP3... i use way too much compression on my recordings..these seem like hardly any.. ?....just sounds so good

cheers

That is some nice playing. - Dare I say it, bordering on pretty.

I have never had that much of a problem with the ADJ bridges on those guitars. For me it is the neck. I just like 'em thicker.

But I do hear a difference between the square and round shoulder Gibsons. The balance seems different. It is like the mids are less saturated making the low and high end sound more detailed or defined. My brain though tells me it can't be the shape of the upper bout. Being far from an expert on 1960s Gibsons I wonder if the SJ/CW followed the design of the B45-12s. The square shoulder versions had I believe a bit shorter body but were wider at the waist than the first round shoulder versions. This would obvioulsy impact the bracing which in turn woukd impact how the sound comes out.

Then again, I coud just be on puppy chow.

Man, ZW, you seem to do a lot of puppy chow. Do you eat it, smoke it, or snort it?

Shoot it up.

A guy I knew down in Mississippi would use that phrase all the time so I guess I just picked it up from him. His other favorite similar saying was "all your dogs ain't barking up the same tree."

Shoot it up.

His other favorite similar saying was "all your dogs ain't barking up the same tree."

I think that's the same as saying someone is a few bricks shy of a full load.

Folks in the state of my birth do say some things that will make you scratch your head at times....

I never heard my father swear, but he did say "shoot" a lot (and he was using it as an interjection, not a verb).

Finally, got a chance to take a listen. Wow, what authoritive bass that SJ possesses, like a sling shot of energy being unleashed.

A lot of character in that guitar, but I believe a lot of that character comes from the fingers and you sure know what to do with those fingers Em7.

Archived