Gibson Brands Forums

I'm on the edge boys....

jheath

Quick back story. I've always wanted a Gibson acoustic, have come close on a couple but never pulled the trigger. Started looking at them again recently, saw the reintroduced J35, read some good things, appeals to me based on simplicity, price and have always liked round shoulders, but tabled it again, just day dreaming.

Fast forward a couple of weeks. Confluence of events. A good pal asks me to play and sing a few at his wedding in the summer, thought about how nice a new guitar would be for the occasion. My brother in law takes back his Simon and Patrick that I've been using for my campfire knock around for the last few years. So I either start using my old relic (Sigma, first guitar) as my camp beater, start using my "good" guitar (bare bones Larrivee D) as my all purpose guitar, or perhaps treat myself to a new "good" guitar and relegate the Larrivee to camp status.

I played a new J35 today and nearly walked out with it. Going to play two more tomorrow, I'll buy the one that sounds the best to me. I've wanted a Gibson acoustic for so long.

Just wanted to share, hope to report back with my new J35 by tomorrow.

You know how in those movies where the guy is out on the ledge of some eighty story building threatening to leap and end it all and people start swarming on the street below chanting, "jump, jump, jump"?...that's what these kind of questions on this forum make me think of. Guitars do all sorts of funny things to people.

Quick back story. I've always wanted a Gibson acoustic, have come close on a couple but never pulled the trigger. Started looking at them again recently, saw the reintroduced J35, read some good things, appeals to me based on simplicity, price and have always liked round shoulders, but tabled it again, just day dreaming.

Fast forward a couple of weeks. Confluence of events. A good pal asks me to play and sing a few at his wedding in the summer, thought about how nice a new guitar would be for the occasion. My brother in law takes back his Simon and Patrick that I've been using for my campfire knock around for the last few years. So I either start using my old relic (Sigma, first guitar) as my camp beater, start using my "good" guitar (bare bones Larrivee D) as my all purpose guitar, or perhaps treat myself to a new "good" guitar and relegate the Larrivee to camp status.

I played a new J35 today and nearly walked out with it. Going to play two more tomorrow, I'll buy the one that sounds the best to me. I've wanted a Gibson acoustic for so long.

Just wanted to share, hope to report back with my new J35 by tomorrow.

I just got mine back from the shop as I had a bone saddle and pins installed, plus a proper set up with DR Sunbeams 13s. So happy to have it back! I am really impressed with the guitar. I've been playing it for the past three hours. The back of mine is sort of interesting, with some mild quilting. I am very happy with it. Good luck!

Brought the last one I tried home with me today. Put a fresh set of strings on it and got a few hours in on it, over the moon with the way it plays, how it sounds. I feel like it is the perfect guitar for the kind of playing I do. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I have literally wanted a Gibson acoustic for over half my life, nice feeling to finally get here. Couple quick pics for those that requested.

post-160-076445600 1369365903_thumb.jpg

post-160-077597500 1369365912_thumb.jpg

post-160-076152700 1369365921_thumb.jpg

Nice Guitar. I tried one out at GC last night. Was really amazed at how great it sounded and played. There were gibson hummingbird pros there as well and they were pale in comparison. The price point on that J-35 was a lot lower as well. I'd like to get one with a sunburst on it. I didn't care for the color that much. Next time I go to Fullers I'll see what they have.

D

Archived