Gibson Brands Forums

New music room.

Gibson101

New house has a nice little room I was able to set up with a few guitars, two over the desk and two behind me in easy reach.

It has been fun while it lasted, except we have another baby on the way and I may have to give it up. Not sure what to do with the pine, seems like a waste to paint it.

Just wanted to share.

IMG_2273_zps70095635.jpg

IMG_2271_zps01be0770.jpg

Assuming a new house and a new baby don't leave any $ left over for an addition to your house, You are going to have to suck it up. Enjoy the room 'till the blessed event, be gracious and move out. Try to find an alternate space - porch, garage, basement. Some folks like the acoustics in the bathroom. Failing that, a corner in the least used room in your house.. formal dining rooms are great. I'm sure your wife will appreciate your need for practice space and be reasonable. Nice collection, by the way. G'Luck!

Don't paint that tongue and groove! In twenty or so years when your new arrival moves out, that will make a great guitar room and the guitars you have hanging there now will be vintage. [biggrin] ...and oh yeah, Go Giants !

The first house I bought in Brooklyn in the early 1990s had a knotty pine basement. I loved it. My wife used to say it looked dated - but it just felt good and homey sitting in that basement family room.

I love your guitar room - that wall is perfect. Now if a crib is going to go in there you will lose and it will get painted. I have no advise. Just weighing in to say I love the pine :)

Oh, and by the way... my office is filled with baseball themed paintings at work. We have that umpire rain one, as well as a whole mess of others. Baseball can have a nice rhythm you get sucked into, just like a good song.

The first house I bought in Brooklyn in the early 1990s had a knotty pine basement. I loved it. My wife used to say it looked dated - but it just felt good and homey sitting in that basement family room.

I love your guitar room - that wall is perfect. Now if a crib is going to go in there you will lose and it will get painted. I have no advise. Just weighing in to say I love the pine :)

Oh, and by the way... my office is filled with baseball themed paintings at work. We have that umpire rain one, as well as a whole mess of others. Baseball can have a nice rhythm you get sucked into, just like a good song.

I love the pine myself, I have a ton of baseball stuff in there too.

2 of my favorite things, guitars and baseball. I have a flat screen mounted on the wall and I watch games on mute and pull out a guitar and play, that and a couple beers make for a pretty great night.

I'll miss the room I'm sure. If we have another boy I may be able to keep the office for a bit longer.

Giving each child a room is the whole point of owning a home but I've grown to love that knotty pine room.

New house has a nice little room I was able to set up with a few guitars, two over the desk and two behind me in easy reach.

It has been fun while it lasted, except we have another baby on the way and I may have to give it up. Not sure what to do with the pine, seems like a waste to paint it.

Just wanted to share.

IMG_2273_zps70095635.jpg

IMG_2271_zps01be0770.jpg

I like the Giants and 49ers hats! I have some of the very same ones in my office/guitar room. Also have the same iMac and a J-200 - almost spooky!

Congrats on the new baby.

Its a shame you have to give up your music room. Most people seem to sacrifice most of they're wants for the kids sake..you have to enjoy life too.

We had that knotty Pine in our previous house wall to wall in the kitchen.It was something we will never forget.

It was a nice 27 ft long kitchen with 10 ft cieling.The cabinets were slapped together out of the stuff as well.

Originally it was all a dark stain...and people we bought house from said it was horrendous. So they painted cabinets white but walls/soffits all dark.

Wife & I came in sanded all those details by hand,patched,repaired and sealed those knots,filled every single dent (a few thousands of dents)..black iron hardware, Cornice,Bone Corian top,some cabinets,historic paints all hand brushed, took most of 10 years.

That kitchen was our masterpiece. To make such a pile of garbage look like that was really something...

When the professional photographer came to take pictures of the house when we had to sell it ,he went though all that historic house detail...but when he got to the kitchen he says, "now THIS is the center of this house".

Wife and I looked at each other and couldn't believe it.

I even felt I had to warn buyers that these cabinets are original from the 50's and not really as good as they look.

Moral if you like it, good..but it do look dated ..and if you make that stuff flawless and hand paint it, it is much nicer. : )

Its a shame you have to give up your music room. Most people seem to sacrifice most of they're wants for the kids sake..you have to enjoy life too.

I grew up having to make due on very little, it makes me very happy to give up the room.

God willing I live long enough to get it back someday. [rolleyes]

It has been fun while it lasted, except we have another baby on the way and I may have to give it up.

Have you considered adoption?

Oh man, I'm going to Hell!!! [biggrin]

I grew up having to make due on very little, it makes me very happy to give up the room.

God willing I live long enough to get it back someday. [rolleyes]

Pairing kids up in rooms most often is better for them.Teaches them compromise,interaction,tolerance,patience.

It bonds them.

When they get to early teen its different.

We grew up on welfare.Three brothers one room..it was depressing when we got to 22/19/16 years of age...but we were close and a team..and things got better.

"Give it up"? Well it's been done before. I hope the new critter finds a good family. [flapper]

(Don't tell the wife I said that.)

But whatever you do DO NOT MESS WITH THE PINE! Make it a proviso when negotiating with the missus about your ouster from the pine paneled room. The kid can have the room, but the paneling stays in it's natural state. Make sure you emphasize 'natural'. Mommies, now a days, especially new ones, are all about making things 'natural' for baby.

If your bride feels she must re-paint.... Put on a coat of varnish first. It will make the stripping operation, in 18 - 20 years, easier. Minimize nail holes in the wall too. There are great stick-up, temporary hooks that can be had which should leave the walls unsullied after their removal.

If you are successful in keeping the walls au naturel don't let a wall hanging remain in one place too long. You'll get shadows from things that once hung there.

If your bride feels she must re-paint.... Put on a coat of varnish first. It will make the stripping operation, in 18 - 20 years, easier. Minimize nail holes in the wall too. There are great stick-up, temporary hooks that can be had which should leave the walls unsullied after their removal.

If you are successful in keeping the walls au naturel don't let a wall hanging remain in one place too long. You'll get shadows from things that once hung there.

I second that advice re making sure the wood is totally sealed if you are going to paint over it. This is particularly true of knots, since paint will sink right in and will be impossible to completely remove in the future.

We used to restore vintage wooden yachts, and one of the most hated tasks was removing decades of paint from raised paneling, wainscoting, and beams that had been painted over. Literally spent hundreds of hours with strippers, scrapers, and various purpose-made detailing tools such as modified dental scalers, probes, and custom made profile sanders and scrapers.

While you will be able to recover your paneling, it will not be a trivial task. In particular, the beading/chamfer/ogee detail at each joint will test your patience. Been there and done that more than once.

We used to restore vintage wooden yachts, and one of the most hated tasks was removing decades of paint from raised paneling, wainscoting, and beams that had been painted over. Literally spent hundreds of hours with strippers <snip>

That's what I tell my wife I'm doing with all those strippers - they're helping me restore yachts! [thumbup]

Archived