Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Validation

JazzyJazzbo

I inherited a Epiphone from my grandfather who passed about a year ago, and in trying to asses it's history and value got more questions than answers. (See the pics to start with)

The serial on the back of the head stock says it's a 1989 Korean made Epiphone and a sticker on the back of the body says it's a Sheraton (Sheraton II it really seems). I've taken it to 2 different guitar shops and both have been confused. One says it's likely a fake because the "flowers on the head aren't quite right" among other subtle things, and another says it definitely legit, but not quite right. I know the guitar is at least as old as 1989 since I've seen my grandfather play it through the years and there are pictures of him with it. I have no idea though where he got it originally and/or if the guitar is all original still.

So the big question is... Do I have a fake Epiphone, a real one with factory errors or replaced parts, and/or were the store reps I talked to clueless?

I know I'm clueless, and hope the collection of expertise here might be able to clarify things for me. ...and thanks if you do!

(Pics)

DSCN1020.jpgDSCN1025.jpg

DSCN1022.jpgDSCN1023.jpg

DSCN1037.jpgDSCN1034.jpg

Using the Guitar Dater Project, I got this info...

Your guitar was made in

Korea

March c.1989

Production Number: 09758

From the "Gibson" engraved on the truss rod cover, I'd guess that your Sheraton was made by Samick for Epiphone (just like my 2001 Epiphone Dot).

Worth... I'd say $400 - $650 depending on it's condition (from "good" to "like new").

Using the Guitar Dater Project, I got this info...

Your guitar was made in

Korea

March c.1989

Production Number: 09758

From the "Gibson" engraved on the truss rod cover, I'd guess that your Sheraton was made by Samick for Epiphone (just like my 2001 Epiphone Dot).

Worth... I'd say $400 - $650 depending on it's condition (from "good" to "like new").

The guitar dater info I new, but I hadn't ever heard of Samick at any point. I presume the "Gibson truss" is a giveaway that they did it, or just likely did it?

Thanks for the insight

The guitar dater info I new, but I hadn't ever heard of Samick at any point. I presume the "Gibson truss" is a giveaway that they did it, or just likely did it?

Thanks for the insight

Samick is one of the world's largest musical instrument manufacturers.

The Gibson truss rod cover as far as I know was something only Samick did... so unless I am wrong about that, it was made by Samick... second in quality only to the Unsung factory, from what I have heard, and very desirable.

So that sticker with the serial number on the back of the headstock is legit? That makes me a little wary. I don't doubt it's a real Epi, but.... is that the real serial number? Did Sheratons have that style of bridge in 1989?

Those aren't inlays per se'...They're laminations in the neck (3 pieces of maple with two strips of mahogany = 5 piece neck). I don't think the fact that the laminations aren't perfectly symetrical is that unusual...That being said it might be unusual that it wasn't labeled a "second"...might say something about the QC during the period that guitar was built (not to mention the crooked tuner - wow how'd that get past QC - it's not even close...?).

I just happen to have one in my workshop...I opened it up last night. Serial # on a sticker on the back of the headstock and down by the heel of the neck(VTSB - vintage tabacco sun burst). I don't know the exact year (I didn't look it up) but I know the guy got it in the late '80's...

Archived