Gibson Brands Forums

Guild Custom Shop

JuanCarlosVejar

I'd like to play one of those 12 fret Orpheum slope shoulder dreads that Guild is building. The video on the Guild website of one sounds awesome. Most of the old Guilds I've been around have great tone but not a lot of volume so it they can step it up on that score they will have some guitars to pay attention to. They have the right guy at the helm.

The Guild shop looks just like Gibson did 20 yers ago. Ren brought the plans for the Guild 12th fret with him from Gibson. They are monster guitars and well worth the price. Gibson was to stupid to build it. By the way Tim Shaw came from Gibson Nashville. Looks like Guild is smart enough to cash in.

Back in the 1960s Guilds were all over place. They were a bit overbuilt but sounded great and occupied that ground in price between say a Harmony Sovereign and Martin D-18. And staring in late 1963 they set the standard in 12 strings with their F-212 which due to its heavier build was supposedly the only 12 string at the time that could safely be tuned up to pitch although I am not sure how true that really was.

While it is unfortunate that Gibson lost Ren's expertise it is very good to know that a man of such talent is still doing great work elsewhere. These new Guild instruments appear to be what I'm sure Fender wants from the line: a quality product at the high end of American acoustic guitar building. The Orpheum series appears to be Ren's contribution. If they made those 12 fretters lefthanded I'd likely order one for myself......but alas, we southpaws are left out in the cold on this one.

Well it's pretty obvious that Ren wasn't/isn't interested in retiring from luthier work or he'd a gone quietly into the night. Bet there are some stories swirling around all that transpired. But the cream always rises to the top and I hope for his sake that he's found a place where they let him do what he wants to do luthier-wise for as long as he wants to continue the game. A great guitar is a great guitar regardless of the name on the headstock. All of us probably wouldn't even be talking about Guilds right now if he hadn't landed there so he brings instant credibility to the line, which makes the decision to hire him a kudo for the person who chose to do it. I wish I lived close to a Guild dealer so I could check out Ren's 12 fretter.

Am I right when I understand they half stay true to actual historic models and half dream some up that might have existed if. . . .

Well, the latter half is quite, , , modern – daring – even somewhat decadent, if I may say so.

But never the less also quite out there cutting edge :

Imagine something the broader audience really would have liked to have happened, , , take a deep thoughtful breath and MAKE it happen.

In reality it is to take the reissued vintage idea 1 step further.

And I admit it makes me curious –

Now I don't eat anything and would be the first to call things over the top when it comes artificiality, but with Fergusson behind the wheel, there's bound to come some exiting acoustic sounds out of this – and beautiful guitar in general of course.

I'll look out for these creations.

I really want to try one of those Orpheum 12 fret dreads. I understand the design is actually based upon that amazing 12 fret Gibson J-45 that Bill G has which we were discussing here a while back. If so then under the hood it's more or less a Gibson guitar. Guildson.

Been following this Guild business and appreciate the vid. However, if they go off putting a blue semi-classical rosette on their expensive acoustics, then there's another batch of guitars I'll never own.

Archived