Gibson Brands Forums

1993 Hummingbird

JuanCarlosVejar

JCV, Have you considered opening a 'pinned thread' (like "Your Acoustical Performances" and "Introduce Yourself" ) for the clips you post on guitar sound demos ?

That way - they would all be in one place, and it would be easier for someone interested in a particular guitar - to go back and find a clip, and then maybe compare it to another more easily - again, if they were all filed in the same place.

EA – I'm almost sure you anticipate I wouldn't be the biggest fan of this Bird either.

But as said many times, Hummingbirds are several different things. (Not least with the adjustable saddles in mind).

The one above represents the sharper more edgy side of the model, which – as the 90's release it is - hasn't yet re-developed the deeper projection and special flavor of the originals from 1960 to 1967.

You and me (and Del plus others) are members of the mellower Honey-dripping school. We need our Birds to fly with a certain softness, that if played right can reach levels of snappy folk-feel even rock. That is the precious blend for me anyway and I know your model holds those virtues. Del's too, , , probably also the rest of the owners of contemporaries here on the Board.

Still there will be differences in the balance there also. My new one hits bulleye for me, but as late yesterday I played a 2013 TV that was more to the edgy side.

A nice guitar, yes, but it would never have gotten to me like mine did from the first time I took it from the wall.

Btw. mine is away for a neck re-set. Can't wait to get it back. 10-12 days. . . .

Am I the only one who thought that Hummingbird sounded pretty crappy ... ?

No. Sounds harsh and tinny to me. Sort of like a Taylor that got out of bed on the wrong side in the morning: cranky and out of sorts.

JCV, Have you considered opening a 'pinned thread' (like "Your Acoustical Performances" and "Introduce Yourself" ) for the clips you post on guitar sound demos ?

That way - they would all be in one place, and it would be easier for someone interested in a particular guitar - to go back and find a clip, and then maybe compare it to another more easily - again, if they were all filed in the same place.

Personally I enjoy JC's demo vids that he throws on the main board, breaks things up nicely. Nobody goes to these pinned threads and you would never see JC's clips ... I say keep em' here.

Me too dig to see what JCV brings home to the camp after a few days hunt.

I get your idea fortyearpickn, but have no probs with seeing clips here and there.

If one wants to compare, then set up 2 or 3 fans of YouTube - f.x. 35's, 45's and Birds - and A/B/C from there.

EA – thing is that the old Bird has a superb set-up. And the new is only good.

It had 1 adjustment on a authorized base after crossing the Atlantic – every Gibson that lands in this part of Europe, goes through that as I understand it.

The rest (some innocent saddle-sanding) has been done by me since I got it.

So my idea was to wait a while and see what happened as I got used to the instrument. Then make a move. Thus I took both Birds to the shop yesterday and had the nice doctor in there have a look. Asked him to make the new 2012 as close to the old 2008 as possible – even suggested to switch nuts as old has micro-wider spacing which as said is second to none for me.

He measured and wrote down the crucial points and the result was that everything around the neck and nut-width on the new was narrower – it simply has a narrower nature up there hehe. . .

What surprised me was that the action on the old was higher around the 12th fret.

But things made sense again when it turned out that there was a smaller concave curve around 4th 5th 7th on the new. That's what he has to fix.

He seemed very confident about the job.

"You'll be much glader", he said and gave me an umbrella. . . .

Archived