Gibson Brands Forums

Question for Les Paul owners

brc

I have seen Les Paul with the bridge placement differ on different guitars. Some I have seen where the intonation screws that face the pick ups, while others the screws face the tail piece.

I had to pick up some strings and misc parts the other day at a local shop and while I was there checked out the Les Pauls that were for sale.

Again I saw the same issue with the intonation screws.

I have owned s couple Les Pauls, but can not remember how the bridges were set up.

My 1963 ES 355 has the screws facing the pick ups.

What is the correct placement of the bridge? Are the intonation screws facing the pick ups, or the tail piece?

thanks

I have seen Les Paul with the bridge placement differ on different guitars. Some I have seen where the intonation screws that face the pick ups, while others the screws face the tail piece.

I had to pick up some strings and misc parts the other day at a local shop and while I was there checked out the Les Pauls that were for sale.

Again I saw the same issue with the intonation screws.

I have owned s couple Les Pauls, but can not remember how the bridges were set up.

My 1963 ES 355 has the screws facing the pick ups.

What is the correct placement of the bridge? Are the intonation screws facing the pick ups, or the tail piece?

thanks

Its easier to intonate with the screws facing the tail peice, to me anyway, a little better access

I concur totally with moparguy. I have all my "tune-o-matics" set up so the screws face away from the rear pup. As for correct or not...I don't think there is a correct way. you can always change it to suit your taste. You'll just need to re-set your intonation and switch your bridge saddles to accomodate string sizes.

I concur totally with moparguy. I have all my "tune-o-matics" set up so the screws face away from the rear pup. As for correct or not...I don't think there is a correct way. you can always change it to suit your taste. You'll just need to re-set your intonation.

Thanks for the responses. What brought this up was I wound up with a 2004 Les Paul classic a couple of days ago, and when I went to change the strings I noticed the bridge placement was where the screws are facing the tail piece. I first thought the previous owner just had the bridge installed backwards, but then saw that the string saddles where correct for each string.

But then started thinking the bridge saddles have a 90% corner on one side and the saddles have about a 30% slope on the opposing side.

It would seem like the difference in the edges of the saddles may have an effect in the intonation.

After installing the new strings, and checking the set up, the intonation is pretty much spot on.

Maybe I am just be too picking, as the guitar is in great shape, and sounds amazing.

thanks for the responses

There is often also a difference in the way some of them attach to the body..

on my LP Classic 1960 ri the ABR 1 goes straight into the wood without any bushings..

like this

dafa58ff-8e47-4011-a142-a57ffeea29b1_zps62c23db7.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

There is often also a difference in the way some of them attach to the body..

on my LP Classic 1960 ri the ABR 1 goes straight into the wood without any bushings..

like this

dafa58ff-8e47-4011-a142-a57ffeea29b1_zps62c23db7.jpg

I believe all ABR1 bridges mount like that, with a fixed stud and a thumb wheel which winds up and down on the stud. If I'm right, the Nashville bridge always has bushes and the adjustment winds the stud in and out of the bush.

It is a matter of choice which way the screws face. Sometimes - as whether you have a Roland GK pickup fitted - you have no choice, the intonation screws have to face the tailpiece.

Archived