Gibson Brands Forums

Beyond The Sea

Buc McMaster

The little concert Collings is great fun to play but I have so much to learn on a ukulele. Four strings and a cloud of dust! It was shipped with some kind of fluorocarbon strings that were very bright and barky. I changed them to a set of Aquila Nylgut strings which are supposedly a synthetic recreation of natural gut strings and they are much rounder in tone. I'll try another set of fluorocarbon next change to try and find the instrument's best voice. I'm still a bit sloppy with my changes and hear some odd string fart here and there.............I'll try harder! Still reading this tune off the cheat sheet.......too many chords and too many words as of yet..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9KEYkqa5e4&feature=c4-overview&list=UU3tT5jzCvMj17IIpw3oVL9w

Thanks, gents! I have parked the guitar in it's case for awhile to spend some time learning this little instrument. Ukes just have a happy sound to them no matter what you play.......great fun! Thank you for watching!

Dan: recorded with the on-board camera in my iMac and a USB mic, a Blue Yeti. Plug & play desktop stereo mic......in the lower right corner of the video.

That was most enjoyable.Casual relaxed musicianship of a great old song.

.My cousin and I both had ukes when were about nine.Sometimes we used to play in the factory where my father worked on a Friday arvo and we got paid in lollies.Our big hit was " Cockles and Mussels, Alive Alive O".A mini Kingston Duo.

I'm always trying not to buy a uke...someday I'll give in.

Try some Worth clears on your Collings uke. They work nicely with them. I've got 4 Collings tenor ukes and they sounded good with Aquilas but I think the Worths are better. I've got 2 strung with high G and the other 2 with low G. I think the low G gives it a little more of a guitar sound.

Uke chords are here......Beyond the Sea. You'll have to use the chord name rather than the 4-string uke fingerings but you can get there from here.

MarkR: ordered some Living Water fluorocarbon sets from jolly old England and restrung it yesterday - HUGE difference! Much louder with great clarity, The Aquilas are okay but these strings make this uke really bark nicely. A bit higher tension in this set and they feel better under the fingertips as well. I tried low G tuning on my previous uke but didn't like it much at all. To my ears a high G tuning is what makes a uke what it is.

Uke chords are here......Beyond the Sea. You'll have to use the chord name rather than the 4-string uke fingerings but you can get there from here.

MarkR: ordered some Living Water fluorocarbon sets from jolly old England and restrung it yesterday - HUGE difference! Much louder with great clarity, The Aquilas are okay but these strings make this uke really bark nicely. A bit higher tension in this set and they feel better under the fingertips as well. I tried low G tuning on my previous uke but didn't like it much at all. To my ears a high G tuning is what makes a uke what it is.

I've heard really good reviews on the living water strings tho I haven't tried them myself. Be careful of UAS. I've played guitar most of my life and picked up a uke 2 years ago and now have 15 of them and not sure why. A 6 string and a super concert and baritone, 1 soprano and the rest tenors. The Collings are my favorites and I heard Collings has halted production at this time. High G is my favorite sound but low G is nice sometimes also. Have you checked out Ukulele Underground Forum? It's the best uke forum out there with a lot of good info.

Archived