Gibson Brands Forums

Truss Rod Wrench for ES-335

swampash

Hi,

I need to get a truss rod wrench for my ES-335 but I'm not sure which size will do. Is it 6mm, 6.35mm, 7mm & or 8mm?

I live in Ireland so I would only understand which size it is in millimeters.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Guest Farnsbarns

Hi,

I need to get a truss rod wrench for my ES-335 but I'm not sure which size will do. Is it 6mm, 6.35mm, 7mm & or 8mm?

I live in Ireland so I would only understand which size it is in millimeters.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks! :)

It's imperial, not metric. You want 5/16. That's 7.9375mm so 8mm would do it but you should have no trouble buying a 5/16 socket in Ireland.

Guest Farnsbarns

You can also buy them from www.stewmac.com

The problem with the StewMac ones is that they're too tall so, depending on the angle of the route in the head stock, and the amount of gloopy finish that pools in it, the tool wont actually fit over the nut. In fairness to StewMac, when this happened to me they refunded me, including delivery, without me returning the wrench because returning it was going to cost more than the refund. Flight959 then kindly gave me a gibson one which fitted perfectly. The StewMac one could have been ground down to fit but I have no bench grinder at home and I was in a hurry.

The best bet (behind the gibson tool) is a good quality (thin walled) socket or ring spanner with a thin handle (a fat handle limits the arc of rotation too much)

So EVERYONE that responded in BOTH threads said don't buy a metric 8mm, buy a 5/16" imperial! There were even parts dealers links furnished, so......

I ordered an 8mm one off eBay

I don't get it.

I have a GrooveTech guitar maintenance kit from Cruz Tools that includes just about every SAE and Metric size Allen Keys for truss rod adjustment.I won mine from Guitar Player Magazine, but they retail for around $50 and are worth every penny of it.These tool kits contain just about everything that you could possibly need for guitar set-up with the exception of a pair of pliers-which I found to be a strange omission. I picked up a small pair of needle nose pliers which easily fitted into the pouch that contains all the procedures for a basic set-up and maintenance so now I'm all set.In order to be able to tweak the truss rods that have a nut on top as opposed to an Allen key,I bought an SAE/Metric nut-driver set in my local hardware store for about $15 and they are of pretty good quality.You can also buy Allen keys in SAE and Metric sizes with several common size keys/wrenches in a handle much like a pocket knife configuration.

Guest Farnsbarns

While I do think it's odd our op ignored the advice he solicited, 8mm and 5/16 are the closest matching metric/imperial equivalents there is. He wont round off the nut because he bought 8mm but being the kind of bloke who does, despite advice to the contrary, could well be a clue that he might do it anyway.

I just use a bit from the "T-handle" driver set I scored for $5 @ Tractor Supply ...perfect for any headstock end truss nut/bullet.

(what do you mean, EVERY area doesn't have Tractor Supply Stores???) [scared]

Yeah, see?? Tractor Supply has everything you need from boots to dog food to hydraulic fittings. But there's no Tractor Supply stores in Ireland. Bummer!! [mellow]

While I do think it's odd our op ignored the advice he solicited, 8mm and 5/16 are the closest matching metric/imperial equivalents there is. He wont round off the nut because he bought 8mm but being the kind of bloke who does, despite advice to the contrary, could well be a clue that he might do it anyway.

I do appreciate the advice. I'm not some ham-fisted neanderthal who's going to stick it in there and start pulling that wrench like the world's ending. I sought advice from many quarters on this and I will try the 8mm wrench when it arrives. If it doesn't fit right then I'll try the other options, including some of the links offered on this thread, which I do appreciate. After posting this, I ran a search online and got a lot of recommendations for the 8mm wrench. If it doesn't work, I won't cause damage to my Guitar I won't lose sleep due to the low cost involved.

What disappoints me is some of the comments like the one I quote. It's strange to be mentioned on my own thread in the third person.

This is the first time I've had this kind of thing on this forum.

Guest Farnsbarns

What disappoints me is some of the comments like the one I quote. It's strange to be mentioned on my own thread in the third person.

This is the first time I've had this kind of thing on this forum.

Well, sorry if you don't like being spoken about. Just it seemed fairly pointless addressing you directly, you seem to ignore it. Won't happen again.

Archived