Gibson Brands Forums

guitar storage

bullseye99

i know this my seem quite a strange question but i have a few guitars including 4 les pauls.now what i was wondering is that although when i am not playing the guitars they are kept nice and safe in there cases .

is there a sat way the cases should be stored,at the moment they are standing upright but i am running out of space to store them this way as i have a new guitar coming soon and will not have enough room to store them this way.

can thay be stored on there side ?

thanks

Don't store them upright for long periods. I discovered the folly in that a few years back.

Hey Bakz--

What happened to your guitars that were stored upright? It is intriguing that this is not recommended: there are feet on most cases to allow the case to stand upright and to lie flat, as well as to sit in the "playing position." I assumed the feet suggested any of the positions were allowable. I've had old guitars lie flat for years, and nothing happened to them, but I've never stored guitars upright for a long time. Still, I never knew it was a problem.

Ignatius

Hey Bakz--

What happened to your guitars that were stored upright? It is intriguing that this is not recommended: there are feet on most cases to allow the case to stand upright and to lie flat' date=' as well as to sit in the "playing position." I assumed the feet suggested any of the positions were allowable. I've had old guitars lie flat for years, and nothing happened to them, but I've never stored guitars upright for a long time. Still, I never knew it was a problem.

Ignatius[/quote']I figured he just meant that they could fall over easier, but maybe that's not it.

Tim' date='

If you haven't yet or at least for future cabinets, you should hinge the top. Put a nice

lining and it can be for storage. You could put tools, strings, pedals etc.

Nice cabinet.[/quote']

I saw a pic he posted elsewhere on the forum. The top does open up, with storage for several boxes of strings, straps, tools etc. It really is a sweet job.

nowhere near as fancy as Tims custom furniture but for acoustics I bought two sets of chrome metal storage shelfs from a warehouse store and put all the shelfs in one unit so there's a shelf about every eight inches holds twelve cases and look great in the studio. a lot of my electrics I hang on wall hangers like my avatar shows. the cases are my problem can't seem to find anywhere to store them all guess I shouldn't own 40+ guitars:-s

40+ guitars? wow man, and i was hopping to get to 10 in about two years... (currently 7, but only one gibson, so i hope the next 3 are gibsons too, have it al planned out: this august a two pickup melody maker, in december a SG, dont know if the standard, or the one with p90s... next year a flying V or an explorer with a floyd or kahler trem, and in 2010, if i manage to save as much, a Les Paul Custom in white).

40+ guitars... how many years have you invested in reaching this number?

I devoted a room just for my gear and add some slat walls to hang them on. its the same as used by retail stores. One slat wall will hold 16 gutiars. even though that helps the guitars Iam still screwed with all the cases. I own 29 guitars so I feel for you. be sure to cover the hooks with fabric so it dos'nt stain the necks.

I was wondering what you guys do about guitar stands.

I know about rubber and the nitro finish reaction and know that Gibson says to wrap stands in cotton cloth.

I like to look at my guitars so I want them out at all times.

I sewed some black sheepskin, the thick kind with fleece on one side and suede on the other, around several A Frame style stands and after watching the finish on 1 LP for about 2 months now there is no reaction. It also looks very tailored and is a great cushion. There is obviously some natural lanolin in the sheep's wool but that's natural - like carnuba wax is.

What do you guys think - safe?

Don't store them upright for long periods. I discovered the folly in that a few years back. Don't store them flat. Notice the feet on the case? Store them on that edge' date=' just like you were playing it. [/quote']

I disagree.

Storing your guitar in the case, upright, puts the least stress on the instrument.

40+ guitars? wow man' date=' and i was hopping to get to 10 in about two years... (currently 7, but only one gibson, so i hope the next 3 are gibsons too, have it al planned out: this august a two pickup melody maker, in december a SG, dont know if the standard, or the one with p90s... next year a flying V or an explorer with a floyd or kahler trem, and in 2010, if i manage to save as much, a Les Paul Custom in white).

40+ guitars... how many years have you invested in reaching this number?[/quote']

I have ben playing and collecting since the mid 70's and have a little bit of everything acoustic, electric, bass, mandolin and I can't exactly complain at the prices and how the value has increased. your plan is a good one thats how I did it originally at least I bought a few a year and it adds up.

When storing guitars in the case:

I was also told that the best way to store them is standing up in the case, are you guys aware of any disadvantages of doing it this way?

When hanging on the wall or on a stand:

Likewise, is there any disadvantage of having them hanging this way, suspended entirely by the neck (headstock), for an extended period?

I disagree.

Storing your guitar in the case' date=' upright, puts the least stress on the instrument. [/quote']

The reason it's not recommended is that standing it on end puts it at a higher risk for falling and causing a headstock break. Even while in the case your guitar is at risk for this upon any kind if impact.

Archived