Gibson Brands Forums

Hello and NGD

kurt_08

Hi I'm new here on this forum and I thought I'd share my 1st Epi guitar (it's actually my 1st non Fender guitar!)

So out of nowhere I had some major GAS for for Dave Grohl's DG-335 in Pelham Blue...but quickly realized I wouldn't be able to afford it on the used market! If they re-issued it maybe, but not for

$10-12K they're going for if you find one.

So searched for regular Gibson 335's in Pelham Blue and although I did find some both new and used I figured I'd wait if they ever re-issued the DG for that kind of though. So instead I started looking at Epiphones in the same color. I found this on flea-bay and at $750 knew it was the right one and a good platform to mod. I probably could've searched some more for cheaper DOTs in the same color but I really wanted the split parallelogram inlays on these. Previous owner took good care of it being that it's almost 10 yrs old and was his first guitar. Hardly any dings or scratches and even came with the hangtags and a HSC!

I adjusted the neck relief and bridge height to eliminate some buzzing and re-intonate. Other than that plays fine. Probably need a pro setup. This is my first guitar that's not a Fender and I'm pretty excited! Future plans are complete re-wire plus Gibson Burstbuckers just like the DG-335.

I knew I had to get rid of the stupid N. Gallagher sig pickguard so it was the 1st to go!

dxys.jpg

Much cleaner looking

92bm.jpg

Looks great without the pick guard. Just don't lose it just in case you ever want to sell it ;)

The colour is Manchester City Blue. One of the more interesting colour names out there, after the English football team Noel and Liam support

Thanks guys! I wonder how different the Manchester City Blue is from the Pelham Blue.

Anyway someone already offered me to buy the pickguard on another forum, apprently he's an OASIS fan. I told him I may want to keep it for now but once I start modding it I might consider it.

BTW any ideas on how to cover the screw holes? I'm thinking just putting back the crews. Or find a small sticker with a similar metallic blue color.

Nice guitar! I too really like the split inlays. Thanks for the pics.

Pelham Blue is a paler shade it seems to me. I really like the color you have; it's not too common.

The screw hole question has been asked lots of times, and with a lot of different answers.

The most used method it to re-insert the screws. They don't look bad, and they should never get lost. [biggrin]

A lot of guys have tried a lot of methods with a lot of different results. The hardest part of using a plastic tape, or other covering is matching the color exactly, so it doesn't show.

Probably the other preferred method would be lacquer sticks, but again, matching colors exactly is difficult.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a chance to really turn up the amp while playing her yesterday! (wife and baby were out!) And oh man it sounds awesome! The sounds I could not get with my Strat, the Epi could do no sweat. And when I say sound I mean humbucking sound. I played a couple of Incubus and Foo Fighters tunes.

It was plugged into a modified (Bill M mods) Fender Blues Jr. and no pedals. Just cranked up the volume all the way up and kept the master volume on a maneagable level.

To be fair with the strat, when I tried some Smashing Pumpkins on the Epi I couldn't exactly get the sound I wanted. Probably needed some pedals but I knew I had little precious time before the wife and baby eventually came home so didn't bother. [biggrin]

In all couldn't be more happier with the guitar! Woody, airy, dirty sounds are easier to achieve with little adjustments. Now I'm not in a rush to change the pickups to Burstbuckers anymore.

You're playing incubus tunes on a supernova and have the gall to knock n.gallagher! In the epiphone forum!? You sir have crossed the line!

Just kidding, do what you like and enjoy it. I'm just speaking out of jealousy. If you can't get the sounds you want, you know someone that will buy it right here!

Haha I knew I was gonna prick some nerves on here. [biggrin] For the record, I thought the signature pickguard was stupid. Not N. Gallagher himself. They should have put the signature behind the headstock or somewhere on the wood.

It is just so exciting to get a different sound that I was used to as like I said, this is my first non Fender. Too bad I don't have a band anymore to play with. [thumbdn]

Archived