Gibson Brands Forums

MAPLE BANNER J45 - 1944

onewilyfool

Crack free Banners I have seen avertised between 9 and 14 bills. Maple on the low end. Supply and demand - limited and potentially shrinking supply. We're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy. There are buyers. If I wasn't so afraid of the upkeep - and the semi-arid climate I live in, I might be willing to offload a couple guitars and step into the buyers circle. Perhaps after I sell my wife's piano, and the Vikings win the Super Bowl. [biggrin]

Maple Banners tend to be pricier than the mahogany version, all other things being equal. I have never played one so I can't say if the premium is worth it, but my guess is that it has more to do with scarcity than tone...

Lars

and the Vikings win the Super Bowl. [biggrin]

I think you're safe. [biggrin]

Even though we live in NY, my son who is now 31 has been a fan since he was 12 or so. Go figure. We have been to training camp in Mankato a number of times and to games at the Metro Dome.

Crack free Banners I have seen avertised between 9 and 14 bills. Maple on the low end. Supply and demand - limited and potentially shrinking supply. We're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy.

I am in Kansas and I can safely say that you can find them for quite a bit less for that. As always depends on how patient you are and where you shop. If you are in a hurry and stake out Mass Street Music you will probably get one quicker but will pay more dearly for it. If you bide your time and keep your eyes open you can snag a Banner at a local Mom & Pop store. May take you longer but it will not empty your wallet near as quick. My 1942 J-50 which is a fairly rare guitar cost me about 1/2 what the one on UMGF islisted at. For that I got a guitar that was far from perfect - a couple of cracks in the back with a replaced pickguard, bridge and tuners. I also got the best sounding Gibson I had run across in many years.

That banner is pretty clean and seems like a fair price. Mine would be pretty clean too if it didn't have a headstock break with an ugly repair. I'll still be asking a little more than what Zomby bought his J-50 for when I take it to a show. I've heard people say that weren't as loud or as good as a hog banner but I this one is. It is a bit brighter but is loud and cuts very well.

Btw Zomby, that is an incredibly rare guitar (if indeed it is a J-50 and not a refin J-45). I can't remember production numbers off the top of my head but I believe JT's book put it at 150 or so? Got any pictures?

Here's mine. Check out the bear claw in the Adirondack on the right half near the burst.

DSC_0631_zpsf95b69d5.jpg

DSC_0638_zpsdbdbfe70.jpg

I looked at a very nice maple banner J-45 at a guitar show earlier this year. Price was $7k, which I thought was fair. Very different sound from a hog version--dry, almost brittle when fingerpicked with metal picks.

Btw Zomby, that is an incredibly rare guitar (if indeed it is a J-50 and not a refin J-45). I can't remember production numbers off the top of my head but I believe JT's book put it at 150 or so? Got any pictures?

I was under the impression I would be looking at a refinished '43 J-45. The neck block and FON though left no doubt it was a '42 and JT kindly verfied it was a J-50.

It is off at the shop right now having a new bridge made and put on (the repair guy is using old stock Braz rosewood). I will post pics when it comes home.

Add "Banner" + scarcity + famous picker cachet (Russ Barrenberg) and you get the perfect equation for vintage inflation. Don't know why Gibson doesn't issue a banner RB banner in maple. Reckon they'd sell a few, oh, for about half of what the old ones are going for. Maybe because HQ perceives their market as rock guys playing acoustic (Aaron Lewis, Brad Paisley S Crowe, Yoakam, Keb Mo), not pickers (at least, living ones. Sorry, Woody)? Oth, who's to say they are wrong?

They certainly went through a period of inflation over the past half decade. They are more rare than the mahogany guitars, but maple plywood just won't cut in serious acoustic environments. They sound like they should, but they don't. Try it yourself. Barrenburg plugs in -- he is a great musician, but his approach is quite different from most famous flatpickers.

They seem to go to collectors for those kind of numbers. They have dropped lately, but whether they are dropping in value or it is just the recession I can't say. They don't temp me, but I collect functional sounds, not guitars.

Best,

-Tom

Barrenburg plugs in -- he is a great musician, but his approach is quite different from most famous flatpickers.
Not to mention that he is playing single string lines for the most part on that thing with someone to second him on the chords. Still, I reckon they could sell off a ltd run to Russ-a-bees.

Archived