Gibson Brands Forums

I played a '47 J-45....

onewilyfool

I have never really played a 1942-1947 J-45, LG-2 or whatever that I thought sucked. But I have played some that were louder, more detailed sounding, and just had a more percussive low end and an overall bigger, drier sound than others. Thing is you would only know that if you had enough time under your belt with them to really be able to judge the best of the breed. Problem is that many folks will jump on the first and possible only 1947 J-45 they have ever gotten their hands on. I have told this story before but I once got a chance to play three 1956 SJs within a six or so month period. All sounded and played good but if I had bought either of the first two I would have been really pissed off when the third one came along. Just something about that one that really made it stand out from the others.

This goes to show that some "vintage" guitars are just OLD, nothing special, I had my 2004 J-45 right there and it sounded MUCH better. I did like the chunky neck on the '47, but not impressed with the sound.....

I'm right there with you. I have played a number of 1940s/50s slope shoulder guitars, and I almost always come away unimpressed. I used to really want a vintage Gibson slope, but after playing several of them, I decided I really like new guitars better. I often pick up my new guitars and am glad that is where I spent my money.

That is not to say that I will never buy a vintage Gibson slope. I did play a 1951 Southern Jumbo once that I thought was fantastic. I did not have the money at the time to buy it unfortunately. [sad] Maybe some day I will run across a great one when I do have the funds handy. Until then, I keep enjoying my shiny new guitars!

This goes to show that some "vintage" guitars are just OLD, nothing special, I had my 2004 J-45 right there and it sounded MUCH better. I did like the chunky neck on the '47, but not impressed with the sound.....

I hear ya. I played a 1957 J-45 Monday priced @ 2 times what I paid for my used J-45 TV and I wouldn't have traded

straight up for it. Nice guitar ,but I like mine better.

Although, I have played others from that era and older that blew my socks off.

Interesting.

I have a 1952 J-45 and I wouldn't want it to be my lone guitar. It does, however, have a spot in my heart. It's percussive and has a dryness that's very cool. But if you play it for too long you'll find yourself unable to hear it. It's weird.

On the other hand, I have a 1961 LG-3 and a 1966 LG-1 and both of those guitars keep me going all day long. Same with the 1958 Martin D-28, which is still the loudest guitar I own.

Yet, my favorite? A 2011 J-200.... so, who knows?

Ask me in another year!

In all these examples, I guess you'd have to factor in whether the vintage samples had proper set ups and good strings, a huge defining qualifier in making any comparisons. I find it hard to believe a 40's era J could ever sound less than great if it had been set up correctly.

In all these examples, I guess you'd have to factor in whether the vintage samples had proper set ups and good strings, a huge defining qualifier in making any comparisons. I find it hard to believe a 40's era J could ever sound less than great if it had been set up correctly.

One of my personal experiences was at Chicago Music Exchange, a really great store. They had two banner J-45s, one with a spruce top and one with a mahogany top. They were both in very nice condition, set up well and good strings. I spent quite a bit of time playing these two guitars. Then I picked up a brand new J-45 TV, and honestly it was no comparison. The TV sounded better than either of the banners.

It obviously all comes down to personal preference, but this is my experience.

Archived