Gibson Brands Forums

Pete Townshend J 200 demo

JuanCarlosVejar

Thanks for posting. Great demo. My SJ200 should be in my possession next week sometime. Wish I knew what strings he had on it. That is exactly the tone I'm after. I have 5 Martins and none sound like that. Wow!

reportedly: since 2005 - D'Addario Phos Bronze .012 - .056

til 2000 - Ernie Ball Phos Bronze Reg Slinky .013 - .056

til 82 - Pyramid

Thanks for posting. Great demo. My SJ200 should be in my possession next week sometime. Wish I knew what strings he had on it. That is exactly the tone I'm after. I have 5 Martins and none sound like that. Wow!

Lefty ,

Welcome I got a lefty 2007 SJ 200 TV I love (maple/sitka)

JC

• 3 weeks later...

Love Pete. Love J200s. Great demo, congrats on a killer guitar to the buyer!

Ditto-my J200 will stay with me always, I'll never sell it, Pinball Wizard and Wont Get Fooled Again, are two of my favourite numbers by Pete-they get a work-out nearly every day on ny Gibson J200.

Mebee my eyesight is failing faster than I thought - but this guitar doesn't appesr to have any "ribbons" on the bridge, but has some extar inlay on the wings? [confused] Now that I have a 200, I'm thinking it might be kind of fun to learn the entire "Tommy" album. Might take a couple years, but, could be inspiring, and get me out of the rut I seem to be in.

A mid-60s J-200 was my #1 for 25 years and I still can't get over how compact their low end is. They look like they should have much more bass than a Jumbo (slope), but the opposite is the truth. Still, the incredible upper mids are worth the price of admission. Sounds like Pete. Oh, and I WANT that dude's shirt!

P

Mebee my eyesight is failing faster than I thought - but this guitar doesn't appesr to have any "ribbons" on the bridge, but has some extar inlay on the wings? [confused] Now that I have a 200, I'm thinking it might be kind of fun to learn the entire "Tommy" album. Might take a couple years, but, could be inspiring, and get me out of the rut I seem to be in.

Dan ,

yeah it the 1960's they decided to "close" the mustache so they pearl inlays are placed where the holes used to be on the "open" moustache

JC

How come he didn't smash it on the floor at the end???? That bridge reminds me of an Epiphone EJ-200, a little cheap looking to me....but nice strumming sound...this cat can play!!!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-ej-200ce-acoustic-electric-guitar/518652000010000?source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CMPLqaztqrkCFYl_QgodwX0Afw&kwid=productads-plaid%255E57301896067-sku%255E518652000010000@ADL4MF-adType%255EPLA-device%255Ec-adid%255E30429505107

would be a great album to learn

Quadraphina would be better tho ;)

e

So how do you like your SJ-200?

I love it already. I like the neck. Very comfortable. Feels so well made. The Fishman Aura is an added treat. Fun to play with. Sounds great even through my Orange electric guitar amp. I don't think I've found the best strings for it yet though. Right now I have D'Addario 80/20 lights. I'm wondering how PB's might sound. May need a little more projection. I don't want to put mediums on it. Open to suggestions.

Archived