Gibson Brands Forums

A modest proposal

Jerry K

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jerry why dont you go and start up again your own Gibson forum, where you will be the only member, as we clearly disgust you too much and just dont have the talent and grace to maintain your elite standards.

On the other hand I really do enjoy your rants, it great comedy relief, so thank you for that contribution.

If someone posts a recording that is a monumental train wreck, a hideous and embarassing disaster, "forum etiquette" requires that you mutter

to yourself, and after checking to see which have been used so far, choose from the drop down list of standard, approved encomiums and post one, such as

Sounds more like a bunch of insurance adjusters than artists. What's wrong with you people? Don't you feel passionately about anything? Don't you hate it when somebody takes a perfectly great song and grinds off all the edges and curves, takes away all the mystery and flood of feelings and reduces it to something simplistic, mechanical, and hackneyed? Are you going to pretend all your life to like things you don't? Bunch of impostors. Accountants pretending to be guitar players.

Don't you hate it when somebody takes a perfectly great song and grinds off all the edges and curves, takes away all the mystery and flood of feelings and reduces it to something simplistic, mechanical, and hackneyed? Are you going to pretend all your life to like things you don't? Bunch of impostors. Accountants pretending to be guitar players.

I certainly do, I just don't need to say so...

Dinner at a local place that runs entertainment on Wednesdays, (I've played there several times with my duo, always a cool crowd)

The guy who was doing this past Wednesday, Wasn't much of a player, (he did have a pretty good voice) and transposed every song to A or E so he didn't have to play a lot of bar chords.

He had a capo, but he never used it.

Sang every song the exact same way.

After 20 minutes, I could not distinguish when one song stopped and when another started.

It was like going to an ice cream parlor that advertised 55 flavors --- All Vanilla...

We clapped after every song... by the time he started his second set, the place was just about empty, and that's when we decided it was time to head for home.

last time we were there, it was full when we stopped at 10:00... just one of those nights, or was he not able to keep people?

So, I waved g'bye, and he smiled and nodded,, he appreciated we were listening, and offering support.. I realized that he was doing the best he could do.

so to me, what he did,, didn't matter,, he was playing, I was sitting,...

IMHO, you just have know when it doesn't matter what you think.

Rarely will I by-pass a post that gives me a chance to hear somebody else's guitar, playing and singing. Its fun to hear, and I never approach any post as if it was offered as a critical performance. I occassionaly write songs, and really like hearing other folks lyrics and song design - just in case I might find an idea - not to steal, just to help me move off the dime. I have posted a couple of clips - install of a Lyric, a Trance, a new guitar here and there, and never felt as if I was presenting a performance - just something to hear, something to share. I think it takes a bit of time investment, and maybe a bit of bravery to throw up a clip - personally I find that the toughest audience is a lone camera - I prefer playing for folks sitting out there in the flesh. So I actually really appreciate the work. Keep 'em coming. BTW, every regular here knows I am certainly not a pro. To paraphrase a song "I'm a daddy and a voter and I go to bed tired". :)

Sounds more like a bunch of insurance adjusters than artists..... Bunch of impostors. Accountants pretending to be guitar players.

Well, Jerry-lad, as you seen to have a thing about accountants here, here are a few rather well known folk who very nearly were accountants:

Kenny G (musician)

Eddie Izzard (commedian)

Gibby Haynes (musician)

Robert Plant (musician)

John Grisham (Author)

Mick Jagger (Ol' snake hips, little know musician and holder of a small pecker)

So maybe you want to put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Jerry I was all on board with the constructive criticism. The blunt Dr House tone not so much.

We all seem to be onboard with reasonable feedback and decent criticism, but like stated above the self-appointed-god approach makes you look a bit of a tool, relentlessly arguing the rather badly formed and losing point confirms it.

Until JerryK posts his acoustic guitar/vocal home recording version of the tune I posted, so we can see/hear what he means, I am fairly sure he is just a sour old windbag.

a bit, yes....

If anyone on here can be accused of not liking what people say, and acting like an accountant or whatever ,it's you my friend. All you got was criticism of your initial criticism , and couldn't accept that.

exactly....

IMHO, you just have know when it doesn't matter what you think.

Yes, that would be pretty spot-on.

Further to that, nowhere does anyone ask you to become their 'teacher' and you propagate that with the anecdote about Chinese students who criticise their 'teacher'. So time to put up or shut-up really, lets see/hear your version, Jerry lad. Lets all hear how it should be done, I promise to be honest either way.

PS. I'm not an accountant by the way

snip

On the other hand I really do enjoy your rants, it great comedy relief, so thank you for that contribution.

Of course you loved that rant. It's one truth-telling crazy in a room full contestants from the final playoffs of a fib-telling competition. Sure beats the pants off summer reruns of 'what's a fingerstyle guitar?', don't it? Admit it, you haven't been this entertained on the forum for months and you will probably dine out on a pale version of that rant within a week or two.

Now do try a little harder, EuroAussie, won't you dear fellow? Your contribution to the discussion, the video with the crude language in the other thread, is more than a few paces downhill from the acme of creativity and maturity. This is how you display your savoir-faire, old boy? Allow me to warn you that in continuing this policy you are in grave danger of lodging a particularly nasty-looking species of indelible stain upon the EuroAussie escutcheon and turning yourself into a spent power. [laugh]

Of course you loved that rant. It's one truth-telling crazy in a room full contestants from the final playoffs of a fib-telling competition. Sure beats the pants off summer reruns of 'what's a fingerstyle guitar?', don't it? Admit it, you haven't been this entertained on the forum for months and you will probably dine out on a pale version of that rant within a week or two.

Now do try a little harder, EuroAussie, won't you dear fellow? Your contribution to the discussion, the video with the crude language in the other thread, is more than a few paces downhill from the acme of creativity and maturity. This is how you display your savoir-faire, old boy? Allow me to warn you that in continuing this policy you are in grave danger of lodging a particularly nasty-looking species of indelible stain upon the EuroAussie escutcheon and turning yourself into a spent power. [laugh]

I was offended by EA's video. He should have used this one (PS it's Friday. I am smiling. No ill will)

I was offended by EA's video. He should have used this one (PS it's Friday. I am smiling. No ill will)

I wonder if you have kids, Sal? If they behaved toward their playmates as you have just done toward me, would you approve? All I did was trash a recording. You are hurling four letter epithets at me personally. But don't let me inhibit your brand of mature wisdom, carry on, carry on.

Edit: Don't you just love it when your kids say something really nasty and then add 'no offense intended'?

Ah right, so were trying to take the moral high ground tactic now Jerry .... well no, sorry, you've lost your credibility long ago to go down that path ... whats your next move ?

ringy-dingy runga-dungy ranga-dangy ronga-dongy woo-oo woo-oo

Now that right there is the most intelligent thing that you have ever posted Mr K. I've listened to one and a half of your recordings ( all that my senses would allow) I've hinted before, may I be a bit more direct ? Crawl back under the rock from whence you came.

In my memory I kind of liked My Girl better than Nowhere Man, but rolled further into Preacher Blues, which reached #1 on the list for me.

Now I see a storm has broken over this innocent recording.

Had to seek back for a re-listen and found the track gone. Unfortunately.

JerryK seems to be the axeman.

Oboy, , , Jerry you are pretty good at the difficult material you are playing, but believe me, you could be shot down just like a snap in the fingers by people who really master that genre.

So could I in my efforts to nail some tunes. Actually that counts the whole way around.

Could Ray Davies do a Muddy Waters tune with the right thing happening.

Could Muddy Waters sing Waterloo Sunset, , , , or Jethro Tull, f.x.early stuff which was in the blues vein.

Maybe or maybe not - it varies. I never liked Steve Harleys version of Here Comes The Sun - would he like mine. . .

The answer is Blowing In The Wind (which btw. was a bit toothless by Peter, Paul and Mary, wasn't it. . ).

What you forget JK, is that recording a tune, which means something to the player, is a fragile affair - and by showing it in public the performer gets very vulneable.

That goes for Stevie Wonder and Elton John too.

How the heck you fail to see this as a player yourself, is a big ? to me. Some dose of critisism can be good, it can even produce outputs of great (musical) intensity, but generating a long negative spiral doesn't build a thing. It becomes a cramp that hinters the free flow of musical nature.

I remember calling a recording by good EA catastrophical at one point - a bit tough, but it really was, , , , and soon he got degrees better.

Not the case with My Girl at all.

BluesKing's My Girl can be discussed (as all other attempts) and your ideas about how far one have to dive into a certian tune before lifting it, are more than interesting.

Trying to deliver an old or new favorite too early difinitely can be a trap - as tempting as it is.

I might give Cripple Creek Ferry a go tonite. Been playing it for a few years, , , , and listening and singing along to the record for nearly 40. . .

Stand by - Play on

I'm seeing a lot of waffle here, Jerry, what I'm not seeing or hearing is a version of my girl that touches the reflections into minor chords... C'mon man, after all your big-man chat you were challenged. Lets hear it. Show us all how it's done, all the posturing, flaming and whatnot is wasting your time if you're such a master and teacher. C'mon fella, pipe-up or shut up. Choice is yours...

For what it's worth, two points:

My most successful guitar student back in the '70s when I was teaching that, ended up with something like four Warner albums - after being on the road for enough years, added a CPA certificate to an accounting/biz degree and went into that biz.

Secondly, as a teacher of martial arts as well as at other times guitar, yes, there are a tiny few who never will catch onto either, there are a larger number who will be improved within themselves by their learning up to their maximum talent if they keep at it, and a tiny few who will be stars. My job was to bring each up to their maximum level of ability within the time allowed - on grounds that regardless the art, it will make the individual better. Very seldom does harsh criticism bring out that "best" regardless that a training regimen may be harsh as seen by others, but a joy to those who have been taught to see it as a joy.

The very word "education" comes from the Latin "to lead out from." One leads learning not by whipping from behind, but by creating empty places where the follower is drawn into with wonder.

As for music on here... including a cupla my own some years ago when I put up some practice recordings... I recognize that I have some skill, but I firmly believe that my only true talent is a willingness to work toward learning, and that learning makes me better inside regardless what others might think.

m

ringy-dingy runga-dungy ranga-dangy ronga-dongy woo-oo woo-oo

Now that right there is the most intelligent thing that you have ever posted Mr K. I've listened to one and a half of your recordings ( all that my senses would allow) I've hinted before, may I be a bit more direct ? Crawl back under the rock from whence you came.

A workmanlike effort, Fred. But your friends are outdoing you flaming me with multi-media presentations! Possibly you could rest from these tiring efforts for a few hours, burn the midnight oil, work your brain to the bone and produce something with a bit more fizz and oomph?

A workmanlike effort, Fred. But your friends are outdoing you flaming me with multi-media presentations! Possibly you could rest from these tiring efforts for a few hours, burn the midnight oil, work your brain to the bone and produce something with a bit more fizz and oomph?

Now that's classy Jerry .... =D>

Guest J-Doug

I can't wait to post my next tune. My pathetic offerings deserve such sage criticism. I've been positively desperate for JerryK's tutelage.

For what it's worth, two points:

My most successful guitar student back in the '70s when I was teaching that, ended up with something like four Warner albums - after being on the road for enough years, added a CPA certificate to an accounting/biz degree and went into that biz.

Secondly, as a teacher of martial arts as well as at other times guitar, yes, there are a tiny few who never will catch onto either, there are a larger number who will be improved within themselves by their learning up to their maximum talent if they keep at it, and a tiny few who will be stars. My job was to bring each up to their maximum level of ability within the time allowed - on grounds that regardless the art, it will make the individual better. Very seldom does harsh criticism bring out that "best" regardless that a training regimen may be harsh as seen by others, but a joy to those who have been taught to see it as a joy.

The very word "education" comes from the Latin "to lead out from." One leads learning not by whipping from behind, but by creating empty places where the follower is drawn into with wonder.

As for music on here... including a cupla my own some years ago when I put up some practice recordings... I recognize that I have some skill, but I firmly believe that my only true talent is a willingness to work toward learning, and that learning makes me better inside regardless what others might think.

m

Milod - I wish my kids had teachers like you.

Gee Mr K, I'm so sorry. Is it multi media you want. Once again, just for you.

https://www.youtube....h?v=85gO8XLb4ug

Gee Mr K, I'm so sorry. Is it multi media you want. Once again, just for you.

https://www.youtube....h?v=85gO8XLb4ug

Low marks for creativity, Fred. You just copied what the others were doing! Now go back and use your noodle.

I decline to click the link - you never know what awful things people put up these days. I suppose you chose something in keeping with the kind of person you are and the values you hold dear, something that represents your true self.

Low marks for creativity, Fred. You just copied what the others were doing! Now go back and use your noodle.

I decline to click the link - you never know what awful things people put up these days. I suppose you chose something in keeping with the kind of person you are and the values you hold dear, something that represents your true self.

I don't believe you, Jerry, based on your reaction to several of the posts this far, I don't think you could resist clicking just to see what it was. But seeing as you're at the computer, perhaps you could google "how to be an effective teacher". You may learn something about yourself and how to interact with others... which might be more beneficial than us pointing out your obvious flaws. Maybe you have a Chinese anecdote for this? I'll pop in later to check.

Archived