Gibson Brands Forums

Koa Gibson J-45!!!

onewilyfool

I owned one of those for a while. Beautiful looking guitar unfortunately it didnt sound as good as it looked. Koa can be hit or miss as a tonewood the one I had sounded dull I much prefered the J-50 I owned at the time over the J-45 koa. The price that guy is asking is ridiculous also they didnt even sell for that new.

I bought one out of the same lot of 24 and have posted pictures of it in the past. I gave it to one of my daughters. It looks great and sounds great too. It's true that I didn't pay close to the asking price of this one back in 2007 but I've been offered more than this poster's asking price for it and turned it down. Very rare guitar.

Isn't this the same "tradition" violation as the maple Hummingbird which was a recent 3 page two post debate upon such a mighty sin? ](*,)

It would be but if one would only stick with purchasing the traditional models, there'd never be any koa models sold, as I'm not aware of any traditional models made with koa. I guess I'm not in the "buy the traditional models only" camp. I love koa guitars. Also bought another daughter a Songwriter's Deluxe custom koa, which is also a great guitar.

It would be but if one would only stick with purchasing the traditional models, there'd never be any koa models sold, as I'm not aware of any traditional models made with koa. I guess I'm not in the "buy the traditional models only" camp. I love koa guitars. Also bought another daughter a Songwriter's Deluxe custom koa, which is also a great guitar.

My position exactly, Mike. I was making the, each instrument as an individual point Bob had tried to bring forward on that maple Bird discussion thread. I went quiet on it after I had defended my position only one time. I have a couple of non traditionals that are without doubt my best built, best looking and best sounding Gibsons. So, I have no doubt the koa models are a joy to own and play.

Archived