Gibson Brands Forums

No Gibsons with slotted headstocks?

telemaster03

Anyone have any idea why Gibson doesn't use slotted headstocks on their guitars? I've heard that it does affect the tone, but really I just like the way it looks on some guitars. Almost all the other big boys (Martin, Collings, Santa Cruz, H&D, etc) make a 12 fret short scale guitar with a slotted headstock. I've not had the opportunity to A/B similar guitars with solid and slotted headstocks to see how much difference it makes.

Curious...

I'd guess that the cost/benefit ratio doesn't work out in a mass produced situation. A classical guitar pretty much HAS to have a classic headstock and Chet probably spec'd his that way. Gotta be more expensive to make a slotted headstock though. I like the way they look too, but what a pain in the rear end to re-string, especially if you own a lot of guitars and find yourself re-stringing a lot. Not all that harder really, but I used to sigh when I was faced with doing the only one I ever owned (but eventually parted company with). Need a Gibson employee to really explain it though since I'm only speculating.

Personally I LIKE the look and weight of a slot head.....I have a couple...I like the increased string angle at the nut,......BUT....I actually detest doing a string change on them....lol....just such a pain in the asp, For Gibson's it just doesn't seem right, the slotted heasdstock......would look funny....I wondered if Ren ever considered making a prototype slothead Gibson???

I have actually owned a steel string Gibson with a slotted headstock - an L-1 archtop from around 1905. I thought the Gibson headstock looked quite nice with the slots in it. But I also hate restringing the things! I guess if they haven't made one in over 100 years it's unlikely they'll start anytime soon.

Could be the solution to yer tuner-nazi policy EA, a slotted head and tuners you don't see face-on. ;)

Quite the opposite PM, I looove tuners, but they have to be the right ones for the right box !

When I think of slotted head tuners it makes me think of all the snobs at the AGF with their cocobolo cocktails, slotted tuners and custom job disasters ... just cant imagine one on a rough n' ready Gibson.

When I think of slotted head tuners it makes me think of all the snobs at the AGF with their cocobolo cocktails, slotted tuners and custom job disasters ... just cant imagine one on a rough n' ready Gibson.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I was picturing more of a turn-of-the-century vibe like the old parlour guitars you see. The pics in the post above show that Gibson did do some slotted head stocks at one point, but no mas. I just found it interesting that they apparently chose not to go that route.

Not a cocktail man myself, but I do enjoy a snort of good whiskey, many times while playing my SJ...

I like a slotted headstock myself, if done well they look nice.... As they're not a traditional choice for Gibson it probably doesn't make sense to their market... you need only read the responses here and alike threads to see that. Typically the Gibson buyer wants a period correct model from a certain era of the company's past and can often be very intolerant of other features & specs.

Occasionally you will see posts such as "how many J-45 iterations does one company need?" but these people are beat down at a moments notice by history buffs and endless speculation about the differences each iteration will offer, despite the fact that nobody can distinguish them from a recording.... It takes a while to get to grips with this mentality, but the sooner you grasp it the sooner you can follow the subtleties of such arguments.

Wow: between the tuner slots and the truss rod rout there's not a whole lot of wood left on that headstock. Good thing Gibson don't have a history of being prone to headstock breaks...

oh and i always thought there must be something to the slot head difficulty changing strings having to do with steel strings. i've had little issue on my nylon classicals and last week did my first steel on a new washburn parlor. can now officially say I don't get the fuss.

Archived