Gibson Brands Forums

Talk About Poor Pickguard Placement....

Joe M

For those of us that complain about Gibson and their poor pickguard placement, check this out....

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/4057480211.html

You've gotta read the text.

:-k

One of the most lame p.g. decisions ever - which makes me think of this monster.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cs5eR9QA8m8

[omg]

Think that for sure are some very special custom designs out there [biggrin]

On many electric guitars there are pickguards for design or economy reasons. Since I like authentic Fender sounds, too, I have to put up with this necessary evil. I don't think that any Fender pickguard looks nice, but most Fenders can't do without. They usually are somewhat too big to my taste. As a benefit Fenders don't need routings for electric cavities on the back, except eventually for a battery compartment (OK, on five of the nine of mine, two of them due to custom mods ;) ).

However, I dislike pickguards on instruments where they are unnecessary with respect to design such as hollowbodies, all kinds of archtops like ES or Les Paul guitars, and many more guitars coming with routings on the back.

If anyhow applicable, it should be left to the player to mount a pickguard or not. I think the same way about tugbars/fingerrests/thumbrests which I retrofitted on two of the six basses of mine in the thumbrest position. No one came with it stock.

had to post this one again...

ha! maybe he really digs on the top of the down stroke! with the TV's now coming with the guard in the case, my guess is we'll see a few funny ones posted up that aren't exactly permanent--as in not attached.

For those of us that complain about Gibson and their poor pickguard placement, check this out....

http://detroit.craig...4057480211.html

You've gotta read the text.

Granted it looks absolute rubbish, the only conceivable idea I have for its possible placement is that maybe he played a lot of top-tapping for drum sounds or something and pt it there to avoid the guitar getting dinged past the point of ever being able to sell. (not that a weird tshirt tan of a pickguard in the lower part of the body is going to help that much...

regarding tans though, my mate bought a 20 odd year old Larrivee that had been used by some jesus lover type, they had stickers on it and when removed you could plainly see a tshirt tan around the words 'jesus', 'our lord' and most amusingly 'happy happy'. My mate only plays at home anyway so wasn;t a deal breaker for him as he got the guitar at a crazy low price from the original owner. It took nearly 3 years of being exposed for the tan lines to disappear, in order to see them now you'd need to look awfully long & hard, but at the beginning you could clearly read what the words had been.

Stickers on guitars... no, no, no...

Granted it looks absolute rubbish, the only conceivable idea I have for its possible placement is that maybe he played a lot of top-tapping for drum sounds or something and pt it there to avoid the guitar getting dinged past the point of ever being able to sell. (not that a weird tshirt tan of a pickguard in the lower part of the body is going to help that much...

regarding tans though, my mate bought a 20 odd year old Larrivee that had been used by some jesus lover type, they had stickers on it and when removed you could plainly see a tshirt tan around the words 'jesus', 'our lord' and most amusingly 'happy happy'. My mate only plays at home anyway so wasn;t a deal breaker for him as he got the guitar at a crazy low price from the original owner. It took nearly 3 years of being exposed for the tan lines to disappear, in order to see them now you'd need to look awfully long & hard, but at the beginning you could clearly read what the words had been.

Ah people see Jesus all the time whether he's there or not

GUITAR STIGMATA !

Archived