Gibson Brands Forums

Rewire LPC

Zeppeholic

Hello,

I was thinking about getting a Les Paul custom black beauty, and then having it rewired for a third pickup. This is the last thing I'd do though instead of just getting a used 3-pup LPCBB

My question is, does Gibson offer anything along that nature and is it even possible to add the 3rd pickup in the middle?

Thanks, I really need some help.

Okay, so how would I send in a LPCBB to get it professionally worked on by Gibson to add the middle pickup?

FIRST, inquire as to the COST of such a modification! Gibson "Repair, and Restoration,"

which would most likely do the work, is NOT CHEAP!! [scared]

Otherwise, you just contacat Gibson Customer Service, for instructions, on where and how

to ship it. And, be sure to insure it, for (at least) the full cost, of replacement!

Good Luck!

CB

Example: I sent Gibson "Repair & Restoration" several detailed photos,

of my '66 Gretsch Country Gent, for an estimate, to replace the (rotting)

binding, that's all too common, on Gretsch guitars, of that era. They

were very nice, and quite prompt, in their response. But, their estimate,

just to replace all the binding, was the same, as the cost of a brand new

Gretsch "White Falcon," at that time! [scared][crying]

Needless to say, I couldn't justify that kind of expenditure, on my fixed

income. [biggrin] LOL [tongue]

So, be prepared!

CB

Going the Gibson repair and restoration route would be very expensive - of that there is very little doubt.

An independent luthier would be less expensive but by far the best option - and I really do mean By Far - would be to do as you mention at the end ot the OP and buy a 3-p'up Custom in the first place.

The price difference between 2- and 3-p'up guitars would be nowhere near the amount you'd need to pay to get the conversion done afterwards.

P.

Okay, I'll get their estimate... Does anyone know when the Custom Shop will be open for one-offs?

Ok kid, I will try and help you out here.

The "Custom Shop" isn't open for one-offs, at least, not for you and me.

Find in your area a Gibson dealer, authorized franchise, Guitar Center comes to mind, there are others, you will have to find one.

Go to them, tell them what you want, fill out whatever paperwork is required.

Next, and here's the important part: Put down a minimum of half the price of whatever you are doing. Half up front, half when they get it done, which will be when they say plus whatever other time they say after that, and quite possibly even after that a couple more times.

My wife wanted a simple Strat, painted a particular color, ordinary Grover machines, ordinary dunlop straplocks, and an engraved neck plate from her to me for our 20th anniverary. A strat, right, stock color, no more than a hunnert bucks worth of different hardware on it, right?

In the year 2000, 13 years ago, they wanted 2 Thousand dollars from her up front, estimated it at 4 months, and estimated an additional 2500 - 3000 dollars at delivery. Almost 5 grand for a stock paint, alder strat, maple neck, Grovers and Dunlops like she's seen me put on all of my guitars, stock pickups. Nothing fancy at all. 5 grand. For a strat.

It's a tough business there chief. It is not at all what you think.

If you really want a real Les Paul with three pickups in it you would be much better off buying one, used or new, whatever you can find that fits the bill. Trust me on this, you do not want to pay someone that knows what they are doing to add a pickup to an already expensive guitar, because it just isn't worth it. And trust me further when I tell you, you really don't want to pay either of the custom shoppes of either of the big two companies to do something for you.

Unless yer some trust kid that's worth a few dozen mil. In that case, as the great Emily Litella once said: Nevermind.

Good luck with it, I hope you find what you are looking for.

rct

Damn, that's insane

And, no kidding, the Grovers, the Dunlop strap buttons, and if I had gone with Bardens in it, I would have had to buy all the stuff and send out to CA for them to put on it, they would not provide them. CrayZee Knutso I said, no way.

In February of this year me and The Mrs toured the joint, and from the time we had in the Customme Shoppe, the chaos in the entire buildings made me glad I didn't ever do that. I don't know how they stay in business.

rct

And, no kidding, the Grovers, the Dunlop strap buttons, and if I had gone with Bardens in it, I would have had to buy all the stuff and send out to CA for them to put on it, they would not provide them. CrayZee Knutso I said, no way.

In February of this year me and The Mrs toured the joint, and from the time we had in the Customme Shoppe, the chaos in the entire buildings made me glad I didn't ever do that. I don't know how they stay in business.

rct

So you would have had to procure all of the parts and goodies that you wanted installed, then send them to the factory so they can charge you an arm and a leg just to install them????

So you would have had to procure all of the parts and goodies that you wanted installed, then send them to the factory so they can charge you an arm and a leg just to install them????

Exactly. Mrs was serious too, she really wanted to do it, but I could not see ever giving them that kind of money. I've been taking them apart and putting them together since her and I were teenagers, she knew the ropes, so she finally dropped it.

rct

Ok kid, I will try and help you out here.

The "Custom Shop" isn't open for one-offs, at least, not for you and me.

Find in your area a Gibson dealer, authorized franchise, Guitar Center comes to mind, there are others, you will have to find one.

Go to them, tell them what you want, fill out whatever paperwork is required.

Next, and here's the important part: Put down a minimum of half the price of whatever you are doing. Half up front, half when they get it done, which will be when they say plus whatever other time they say after that, and quite possibly even after that a couple more times.

My wife wanted a simple Strat, painted a particular color, ordinary Grover machines, ordinary dunlop straplocks, and an engraved neck plate from her to me for our 20th anniverary. A strat, right, stock color, no more than a hunnert bucks worth of different hardware on it, right?

In the year 2000, 13 years ago, they wanted 2 Thousand dollars from her up front, estimated it at 4 months, and estimated an additional 2500 - 3000 dollars at delivery. Almost 5 grand for a stock paint, alder strat, maple neck, Grovers and Dunlops like she's seen me put on all of my guitars, stock pickups. Nothing fancy at all. 5 grand. For a strat.

It's a tough business there chief. It is not at all what you think.

If you really want a real Les Paul with three pickups in it you would be much better off buying one, used or new, whatever you can find that fits the bill. Trust me on this, you do not want to pay someone that knows what they are doing to add a pickup to an already expensive guitar, because it just isn't worth it. And trust me further when I tell you, you really don't want to pay either of the custom shoppes of either of the big two companies to do something for you.

Unless yer some trust kid that's worth a few dozen mil. In that case, as the great Emily Litella once said: Nevermind.

Good luck with it, I hope you find what you are looking for.

rct

"Dream guitar" dream = crushed

I'm sure Gibson would have a lot more happy customers if they did a "public/working musician" custom shop. I don't know. I know exactly what I want, I just want the price on it, and they can't take 10 seconds to tell me the price of it for a future sale. It just breaks my heart. Well. Maybe I can get famous and order my dream Les Paul Custom from Gibson. I hope so anyways

I can't FIND a USED 3-pup LPCBB in my price range

Well, stating the bleeding obvious and without wanting to seem too harsh, Zeppeholic, you'll have to do what the rest of us did to buy our dream guitars and simply save up more money.

I don't know how old you are but It took me years to save up enough money, from doing odd-jobs and Summer-jobs, to buy my first LP.

Before the introduction of all the Custom-shop Artist-inspired models the 3-p'up LPCBB's were the most expensive, top-of-the-range solid-body in the regular Gibson range.You shouldn't expect to find one cheap.

They have NEVER been cheap.

And, anyway, have you ever played a 3-p'up Les Paul? A great many players - and I include myself in their number - find the middle p'up gets in the way of their picking hand/fingers.

If you haven't already tried one out I suggest you do. You might find that you don't like them in the first place.

P.

"Dream guitar" dream = crushed

I'm sure Gibson would have a lot more happy customers if they did a "public/working musician" custom shop. I don't know. I know exactly what I want, I just want the price on it, and they can't take 10 seconds to tell me the price of it for a future sale. It just breaks my heart. Well. Maybe I can get famous and order my dream Les Paul Custom from Gibson. I hope so anyways

The problem with dream guitars is that there is always another one. Just get a decent Les Paul and master it.

rct

Well, stating the bleeding obvious and without wanting to seem too harsh, Zeppeholic, you'll have to do what the rest of us did to buy our dream guitars and simply save up more money.

I don't know how old you are but It took me years to save up enough money, from doing odd-jobs and Summer-jobs, to buy my first LP.

Before the introduction of all the Custom-shop Artist-inspired models the 3-p'up LPCBB's were the most expensive, top-of-the-range solid-body in the regular Gibson range.You shouldn't expect to find one cheap.

They have NEVER been cheap.

And, anyway, have you ever played a 3-p'up Les Paul? A great many players - and I include myself in their number - find the middle p'up gets in the way of their picking hand/fingers.

If you haven't already tried one out I suggest you do. You might find that you don't like them in the first place.

P.

Yeah, I know I won't find one for cheap. A brand new LPC is $4,000 so if I can get a 3-pup LPC for $3,500 - $4,500 (used of course, but not in terrible condition) that's a good deal. And yes, I've played one, I wouldn't want one if I never played one before. It took me 3 years to get my Les Paul Standard, which I bought brand new. I know I have a long life ahead to get one, but having experience with older Les Pauls and such, I'm happy to get an older LPC as long as the paint and wood is intact, I'll replace the hardware and pickups if they need it, and probably add new knobs and a Bigsby. So technically, I just need the body to be in good condition without any heavy dents or chipped paint. I'm fine with the lacquer sinking in, I think it makes the guitar sound better and feel better to the touch.

The problem with dream guitars is that there is always another one. Just get a decent Les Paul and master it.

rct

Not really, if I got the one I really want with my specs, I doubt I'd want to special/custom order another one. Maybe one or two with different specs and colors.

Yeah, I know I won't find one for cheap. A brand new LPC is $4,000 so if I can get a 3-pup LPC for $3,500 - $4,500.......that's a good deal. And yes, I've played one, I wouldn't want one if I never played one before...

Ok, well that's all fine. Glad to see you know what you're letting yourself in for.

I've just had a very quick look on the 'bay and there are currently a couple of 3-p'up Black Beauties in the $3,500 - $3,700 range and the cheapest is actually an R7 so you should be able to get one at the lower end of the price-range you mention.

I wish you good luck in your quest!

[thumbup]

P.

Archived