Gibson Brands Forums

GIbson J-45 Standard Line

mking

Does anyone know when Gibson started selling the J-45 labeled a the "Standard, the one with the pearl inlaid Gibson logo on the headstock and the Grover tuning machines? I've seen a 2003 J-45 with the white buttons, gold square logo decal and the single old looking closed Kluson tuners. Anyone have any ideas? Would this guitar be Pre True Vintage days and before the J-45 Standard came out?

Does anyone know when Gibson started selling the J-45 labeled a the "Standard, the one with the pearl inlaid Gibson logo on the headstock and the Grover tuning machines? I've seen a 2003 J-45 with the white buttons, gold square logo decal and the single old looking closed Kluson tuners. Anyone have any ideas? Would this guitar be Pre True Vintage days and before the J-45 Standard came out?

Could be a 'historic' model ?

Here is the link. If you look really close to the serial number on the back of the headstock it looks like this is a 2003 instead of a 2002. If anyone can tell me if this was a historic or pre TV days before they even had a "Standard" I would like to know. Thanks much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111169543064?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

That is kind of what I was thinking too. That is why I was wondering when they started selling the "Standard" with the pearl logo and the Grover tuners. I am wondering if when they started the TV line they said "hey, if it isn't a TV, lets call it a Standard and make some changes like the pearl logo, Grovers, and a white label inside the guitar instead of an orange one". Thoughts?

... so I guess that means my J45 Standard isn't really 'standard'?

"Standard" has been used to mean "basic, no-frills model" by Gibson USA forever. (Well, it seems like forever.). Gibson Montana introduced "Modern Classic" to mean "modern version of a classic", but the MCs played the same functional role in the Montana product line that Standards did in the USA product line. So Henry decreed that Montana started calling MCs "Standards" instead. Anyway, "Standards" aren't standard in any sense. The best label might be "Regular Old" -- if they only built one model J-45, it would be the Standard. (So, if you want there to be only one J-45 model, to avoid confusion, just buy a Standard and pretend that you had no choice. Easy!)

-- Bob R

"Standard" has been used to mean "basic, no-frills model" by Gibson USA forever. (Well, it seems like forever.). Gibson Montana introduced "Modern Classic" to mean "modern version of a classic", but the MCs played the same functional role in the Montana product line that Standards did in the USA product line. So Henry decreed that Montana started calling MCs "Standards" instead. Anyway, "Standards" aren't standard in any sense. The best label might be "Regular Old" -- if they only built one model J-45, it would be the Standard. (So, if you want there to be only one J-45 model, to avoid confusion, just buy a Standard and pretend that you had no choice. Easy!)

-- Bob R

Thanks Rar.

I really did NOT have a lot of choice out here in the sticks......

They had mine (back in 2010) and a TV that was not very nice, unfortunately - after reading so much about the TV, that was what I went to try. But I tried my Standard and well - it was exactly what I wanted and it followed me home.

(I have noticed recently that it needs new strings a lot to keep the sound I like.)

BluesKing777.

Thanks Rar.

I really did NOT have a lot of choice out here in the sticks......

They had mine (back in 2010) and a TV that was not very nice, unfortunately - after reading so much about the TV, that was what I went to try. But I tried my Standard and well - it was exactly what I wanted and it followed me home.

(I have noticed recently that it needs new strings a lot to keep the sound I like.)

BluesKing777.

'Recently' ?

Did it used to sound good with old strings ? :-/

Archived