Gibson Brands Forums

A Severe case of GAS

SurfingWithTheAlien

Hey guys,I've been using the same gear for a long time,and am in a desperate need for an upgrade.

I primarily use my Godin Freeway SA and a Zoom G2.Nu pedal through a Marshall MG10CD.

The amp hasn't really bothered me,since i dial the tone i need via the pedal.

Heres the thing,should i get a Les Paul studio/tribute or upgrade the amp (if so,suggestions welcome)

Being a teen, I cant get both, and I play gigs occasionally, but primarily playing in my room or just jamming with the band.

I play stuff ranging from Clapton and Dream Theater to Guns 'n Roses and Megadeth.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

when i was your age, i always upgraded my guitar. Looking back, i think i would have been better off upgrading my amp.

I have never been a fan of the Marshall MG series, so I would upgrade your amp. If you want to stay with Marshall, the new DSL40 combo would be a promising option that probably wouldn't be outrageously expensive.

when i was your age, i always upgraded my guitar. Looking back, i think i would have been better off upgrading my amp.

I have never been a fan of the Marshall MG series, so I would upgrade your amp. If you want to stay with Marshall, the new DSL40 combo would be a promising option that probably wouldn't be outrageously expensive.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, a new amp what I'm leaning towards right now.

Im not particular about a marshall,even looking into the Orange Rocker or TH series. Any thoughts?

Hey guys,I've been using the same gear for a long time,and am in a desperate need for an upgrade.

I primarily use my Godin Freeway SA and a Zoom G2.Nu pedal through a Marshall MG10CD.

The amp hasn't really bothered me,since i dial the tone i need via the pedal.

Heres the thing,should i get a Les Paul studio/tribute or upgrade the amp (if so,suggestions welcome)

Being a teen, I cant get both, and I play gigs occasionally, but primarily playing in my room or just jamming with the band.

I play stuff ranging from Clapton and Dream Theater to Guns 'n Roses and Megadeth.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

The flipside to FennRx's response is that you said you can dial in the tone you need, why not upgrade the guitar?

The flipside to FennRx's response is that you said you can dial in the tone you need, why not upgrade the guitar?

this is a very good point, and i must admit i overlooked it the first time.

I am colored by my own experience. It wasn't until 2012 that I bought an amp on par with my Historics. Prior to that,my amps were $600 or less. Not to say that great tone has to cost more than $600, but looking back it is kinda funny that I spent $2600 on a 58 RI Les Paul but wouldn't spend the money to buy a made in the USA Fender or UK made Marshall. [lol]

the SA seems a reasonably sound guitar.

from your original post, looks like the weak link in your gear chain could be your amp.

What's your budget?

have you thought about something like a Fender Mustang III. Wont set you back a ton of cash,

has a lot real usable sounds, and the 100 watter MIII should have enough beans to cut you into a mix.

You wouldn't need the pedal either..

I would think it's worth a look anyway

this is a very good point, and i must admit i overlooked it the first time.

I am colored by my own experience. It wasn't until 2012 that I bought an amp on par with my Historics. Prior to that,my amps were $600 or less. Not to say that great tone has to cost more than $600, but looking back it is kinda funny that I spent $2600 on a 58 RI Les Paul but wouldn't spend the money to buy a made in the USA Fender or UK made Marshall. [lol]

I hear ya, I'm a big believer in the fact that your amp affects your tone more so than your guitar!! I finally spent some money on an amp a few months back, and I can not fathom playing on anything else again! Unfortunately, my dream amp is sitting in my friend's studio as I had to move to a smaller apartment...

I would look at a different amp first. I have the Marshall DSL 15c, and I've tried the 40c. Playing tunes from G&R and Megadeath would really be killer through either of these amps. If you gig, go for the 40c. I just play at home and occasionally with a few friends just for fun, so the 15c was all I needed. They are two awesome amps at excellent prices.

Take your guitar and make a visit to GC or any music store in your area and try them out along with other amps. That should give you a good idea whether to get an amp or a new guitar.

Thanks a lot everyone. Yeah the Marshall DSl 40c sounds pretty good (no pun intended).

The only reason I'm on the fence,is because the pedal compensates both for the guitar and my current amp,

Just out of curiosity,if I stayed with the amp and got a better guitar,would there be a noticeable difference sound wise?

Here's my experience. If you upgrade to a better guitar like a gibson and still play through a crappy amp you will notice a difference, but if you get a great amp, it can make just about any guitar sound great. And if you have both a great guitar and great amp; heaven.

I prefer a good place where to put my fingers [biggrin]

A good guitar let you have a great choice of sounds and playability.

Past three months I've played with a band and the guitar amps where offered by the p.a. guys.

Every evening a different amp and only one stomp for emergency (zoom ms-50G) and my dear Les Paul Ebony always works great !

Hope this helps. Have a nice day, Riccardo.

I don't know what you mean saying 'a better guitar'. Do you think your Godin isn't that good, is it just not that to your taste, or do you need another or perhaps additional guitar with a different tone?

Well the Godin is a great guitar,but Ive had it for too long now and need something with a thicker,heavier sound.

There isnt anything wrong with it, but it sounds closer to a fender or an Ibanez than the Gibson-esque tone i wanted.

Archived