Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Genesis Deluxe Pro

jc1funk

It was one of those days where you walk into the guitar shop on a whim... granted I knew I'd eventually need to buy a guitar especially for a C-standard setup but I hadn't planned on getting it so soon.

The deal was just too good to pass up... very low price...

It's got 12-56s on it. Had to file the nut slots a bit... tuned to C-standard and with the tone knobs on 0 its perfect for those Kyuss/QOTSA style riffs... Epic tone. Can't wait to hear it through the DSL50>1960AX at rehearsal on Monday!

genesisdeluxeproltded_zps3070f6f4.jpg

Coupla points:

1. NECK - Still blown away by the finish quality and playability of the neck, considering what I paid for this thing. The fret work is clean and the binding makes it feel and look like a high end instrument. I'd recommend one of these on that basis alone.

2. COIL TAPPING - Not fussed by the coil tapping - it never quite gets anywhere near a proper single coil sound - it's more like a lower output vibe which is handy for backing off a bit or changing texture

3. FRETS - Found a bum fret.. one of my favourites :( 17th on the high E. Probably fixable with a lil attention to the frets. Otherwise, very clean.

4. TONE - Overall the tone is large, but it IS set up with 12s and tuned to C standard.. this also make it hard to compare to my other guitars directly. For this reason I dunno if it would be helpful posting sound bites unless a bunch of people were interested in how it sounds in C.

5. INTONATION - My main gripe is that the B and G string saddles bottom out before reaching proper intonation adjustment so I'm kinda stuck with a guitar that wont set up perfectly. I'm wondering if this issue is common with this tuning setup regardless of the instrument??? (NB there were no intonation issues in E-standard.. the guitar set up just fine)

6. PICKUPS - It's not exactly fair going from a Gibson 335 with classic 57s to these epi probuckers but they certainly hold their own for the kind of riffage and lead playing I've been subjecting them to. If this was any more than a "minimum-spend" experiment in c-standard Id change the pickups.. but if i was going to make c standard a part of my live show id probably buy a Firebird or even another 335 for that purpose anyway... At this stage its personal preference; the pups are good.

7. LOOKS - The picture I posted is great, but when you look at this thing with the neck in frame it heads into ugly duckling territory and i find myself wanting to pass her a paper bag.. The neck looks massive, the proportions are all weird, especially with the massive headstock trying to compensate... Reminds me of those Hofner basses: little body, all neck. But hey... you know what they say: you don't look at the mantle while you're stoking the fire. I do like that its an original epi design and that it has a bit of the "outsider" vibe. The binding on the body also makes this feel like a much more expensive instrument than you'll pay for it. Kinda wish they just did these with the plain top to give them a bit of the vintage authenticity of the originals - but I'm nit picking now... Oh and the gold hardware - never liked gold hardware blurggghhh - THAT'S how good the price was!

All in all, a bit hard to appraise this guitar's sounds in any more detail because of the unique (for my guitars) setup but the same things that made it a no brainer still stand: Excellent quality neck, great tone, low cost, unique epi (aka non-gibson) design. Win win win win.

Oh and I dropped my phone on it and put a ding on that gorgeous top :( Might buy a case...

can you flip the saddles around ?

Good idea. Just did it.

That got the G close. Oh so close. Not perfect but possibly close enough once you account for all the variation generated by the hand in the heat of battle.

Let's see how it sounds tonight at jam.

Thanks for the pointer.

After a second jam, properly put through its paces, I'm now convinced: What a fantastic guitar for the money!

Sustain up the wahzoo.

Big tone with massive, tight bass and enough bite in the upper-mids and top end to give plenty of definition.

Rich palette of tones, in my case attached to a pretty hard rocking rig:

- DSL50 Crunch channel dimed for an epic hard rock tone! - cleans up real nice with the volume knob too

- Added fuzz on top of that for ball-shaking, face-melting stuff

- The lead channel was pure Marshall jcm2000 rock lead wailing.

- Drove my octave pedal beautifully and we got some pretty wild electronic sounds adding a tremolo and buttloads of gain

I'm sure it'd sound great in E too but in C this thing's a monster.

Funny how it doesn't look so ugly now... ;)

You might want to look at replacing the saddles. I'm not sure what with. Some one else might have a suggestion. Flipping the saddles around has worked for me on a few guitars. I guess if you can live with it, that is an OK fix. So, what tuning are you using ? Open C ?

You might want to look at replacing the saddles. I'm not sure what with. Some one else might have a suggestion. Flipping the saddles around has worked for me on a few guitars. I guess if you can live with it, that is an OK fix. So, what tuning are you using ? Open C ?

C- Standard (C-F-A#-D#-G-C) aka two tones/steps down

great axe I've got a Black Cherry version and it sounds great but I haven't developed a taste for the "" single coil mode"" it just dosen't impress me but after all it's not a real single coil - it's half a humbucker- hopefully it will grow on me or possibly there is a mod that will enhance it's sound in that mode

Update re intonation FYI

Since that massive 24-gauge plain g string settled down over the now increased angle at the reversed saddle, the intonation adjusts perfectly.

As such I can no longer fault this guitar for a C-standard setup.

Archived