Gibson Brands Forums

my cafe gig

blindboygrunt

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a cafe, but a barn outside of Denver, Colorado last Saturday night. It was maybe 45 degrees. I had considered fingerless gloves. This pic was taken by a stranger, and posted to my FB page! Now that I see the SJ "in the light" so to speak, I am thinking that PG looks a bit too red, and I should have rolled up my sweater sleeve. The Trance Audio Mono performed wonderfully. I played in between bands as they were setting up. Was enough to cover gas, a flea-bag motel room, two cookies and a bag of Fritos... sure was fun though.

1402045_10201776286516443_2088078545_o_zpsf8bc3dc5.jpg

Love this pic, Dan! It's a keeper. Sounds like a great night!

My previous post was censored out by mods. Come on now! People are making fun of my nose in this thread and that's ok, but the following is too rude?

Yeah, right. If xxx wants to sit on his back porch and play to the squirrels, who are these gig police to come and say that's not a gig? There's an audience, after all. Yeah right! And if he goes to a local cafe uninvited and starts playing, that must be a gig. Heck if he stands outside a madonna concert busking well then he had a gig with madonna, right? Who are these gig police to gainsay that? One hour of precious experience like that is far better than 50 hours of woodshedding, ya know.

This is just a short note for the people out there that make a living playing music for money.

There is a guy on this forum that does a vanity showcase for free in his local coffee house. That's fine as the owner of the coffee house doesn't want to pay anyone for music. He didn't even want to pay the $350.00 for the permit to use copyrighted material to be played or used in his coffee house. I understand he paid the fee so he could play copyrighted music on his music system. Fine so far...No one really cares if this guy plays there or not. Certainly not me. I think this is a pretty desperate cry for attention. Who carries his guitar around just to try to get attention? Still no problem.

The problem is just this. What about the working musician that is trying to make a couple of dollars by playing just these sorts of jobs? How would you folks like it if a guy walked into your work place and offered to do your job for free? There are professional working musicians here that support this behavior. I don't. People spend countless hours perfecting their craft. They buy equipment and spend a lot of money and time trying to find work in a shrinking economy and then someone comes out with his guitar in his case sits down and starts playing for free? If you want to perform for free there are plenty of vanity showcases. Go to a karaoke club.Want to play your guitar? Go to and open mike night at your local pub. There are thousands of them around the country and they cater to folks just like him.

Notice I didn't say gig once... The guy that does this is not a gigging musician. He has a day job and does this for attention. I'm sure most of you will not support my position as you have never tried to make a living as a professional musician.

The other shoe is about to drop. This very same person is trying to gain acceptance here as a person of some knowledge of Gibson guitars. He has none and doesn't bother to even try to gain any and then if that isn't bad enough,and it should be, he and several others here have to make sport of folks here that have bothered to educate themselves.

Most folks here have joined the forum seeking info about their guitars. That is a good thing but when people(read trolls here) give them bad advice they need to be corrected. When they are they lash out in anger. Pitiful... Want an example?

Well guys your famous gigging, expert, friend answered a question that was asked by a new guy here about a J-35. Without seeing any photos or having any detailed information this guy decides to diagnose the problem and then he actually referred the guy to the Taylor website. I know that the trolls here will think this is perfectly acceptable. Yes we need to shut down this forum and put up a disclaimer that says refer all questions to the Taylor website. That is you friend, and gigging, musician at work. You all must be so proud.

To those of you that are having problems with your Gibson guitars? Ask your questions as there are several people here that care that you get the correct information and advice. Make a list of the names that will attack this message. They are the unwashed masses that are going to give you bad information.

Oh, come on, no need to talk about Jerry like that, I think the guy's had enough of a bashing for one day now ..

This is just a short note for the people out there that make a living playing music for money.

There is a guy on this forum that does a vanity showcase for free in his local coffee house. That's fine as the owner of the coffee house doesn't want to pay anyone for music. He didn't even want to pay the $350.00 for the permit to use copyrighted material to be played or used in his coffee house. I understand he paid the fee so he could play copyrighted music on his music system. Fine so far...No one really cares if this guy plays there or not. Certainly not me. I think this is a pretty desperate cry for attention. Who carries his guitar around just to try to get attention? Still no problem.

The problem is just this. What about the working musician that is trying to make a couple of dollars by playing just these sorts of jobs? How would you folks like it if a guy walked into your work place and offered to do your job for free? There are professional working musicians here that support this behavior. I don't. People spend countless hours perfecting their craft. They buy equipment and spend a lot of money and time trying to find work in a shrinking economy and then someone comes out with his guitar in his case sits down and starts playing for free? If you want to perform for free there are plenty of vanity showcases. Go to a karaoke club.Want to play your guitar? Go to and open mike night at your local pub. There are thousands of them around the country and they cater to folks just like him.

Notice I didn't say gig once... The guy that does this is not a gigging musician. He has a day job and does this for attention. I'm sure most of you will not support my position as you have never tried to make a living as a professional musician.

The other shoe is about to drop. This very same person is trying to gain acceptance here as a person of some knowledge of Gibson guitars. He has none and doesn't bother to even try to gain any and then if that isn't bad enough,and it should be, he and several others here have to make sport of folks here that have bothered to educate themselves.

Most folks here have joined the forum seeking info about their guitars. That is a good thing but when people(read trolls here) give them bad advice they need to be corrected. When they are they lash out in anger. Pitiful... Want an example?

Well guys your famous gigging, expert, friend answered a question that was asked by a new guy here about a J-35. Without seeing any photos or having any detailed information this guy decides to diagnose the problem and then he actually referred the guy to the Taylor website. I know that the trolls here will think this is perfectly acceptable. Yes we need to shut down this forum and put up a disclaimer that says refer all questions to the Taylor website. That is you friend, and gigging, musician at work. You all must be so proud.

To those of you that are having problems with your Gibson guitars? Ask your questions as there are several people here that care that you get the correct information and advice. Make a list of the names that will attack this message. They are the unwashed masses that are going to give you bad information.

I hear ya hogeye. Really I do.

But say for example that someone starts a thread asking what the best thing to clean their fretboard with. And someone, first reply says ' semi synthetic motor oil ' . if the guy goes and buys some and rubs it on his £2000 guitar , well I'd kinda think he's a bit stupid and no amount of looking after him is going to do any good.

If someone tells a tale about gigging at a coffee shop / Carnegie hall and another wants to revere him for such a musical endeavour , then , you know , grand . who cares. I kinda like these tales , tall or otherwise.

I think everyone is able to separate the wheat from the chaff here. And if not , then their computer should be taken off them. Its kinda crazy to try and make the internet perfect.

But say for example that someone starts a thread asking what the best thing to clean their fretboard with. And someone, first reply says ' semi synthetic motor oil ' . if the guy goes and buys some and rubs it on his £2000 guitar , well I'd kinda think he's a bit stupid and no amount of looking after him is going to do any good.

If someone tells a tale about gigging at a coffee shop / Carnegie hall and another wants to revere him for such a musical endeavour , then , you know , grand . who cares. I kinda like these tales , tall or otherwise.

I think everyone is able to separate the wheat from the chaff here. And if not , then their computer should be taken off them. Its kinda crazy to try and make the internet perfect.

Wow! An actual measured and rational response to all this malarkey. Good job, bbg! Just a warning, though. If you keep showing this level of maturity, you may be banned from this forum. B)

No one would give a damn about him or his silly coffee ship if he didn't so stubbornly dispense misinformation and consistently demonize anyone who actually knows anything.

It's just this sort of thinking that makes this place useless. People that are seeking information need to have a place to get accurate answers and not chaff. I know you all like the guy but that is no excuse for him spreading his insanity to people in need.. There are no stupid questions... None... We should all try to be helpful.

I think you are a part of the problem and no amount of rationalization can justify this. You stated your case eloquently and now we know who you really are. Thanks.

I see where you're coming from and in a perfect world, might agree. However this forum used to be a place where people could get good and accurate information on everything related to Gibson acoustic guitars. This forum is read by thousands of people world wide. Many of those people rely on this forum for their information and some of those people are kids who may not know any better.

When someone throws out information without having a solid basis for their information and only does so to try and pretend that he knows what he's talking about in order to gain favor with his forum groupies, it can really hurt a lot of people.

Like Hogeye said, there are people on this forum who can be trusted to provide accurate information and there are people who cannot. In a perfect world people should be able to "separate the wheat from the chaff" but in reality, many can't.

It all comes down to the question of what type of forum this should be? Should it be a professional forum where people can rely on getting solid, on topic information about their Gibson acoustic guitars or should it be a forum where it's a crap shoot on whether you're getting good information or not? Should it be a forum of professional adults talking about their Gibson guitars or a 7th grade locker room atmosphere where anything goes. Unfortunately as of late, the latter has been the case with the entire world of readers looking on.

Wow! An actual measured and rational response to all this malarkey. Good job, bbg! Just a warning, though. If you keep showing this level of maturity, you may be banned from this forum. B)

So... you are another one that thinks that people asking for help should be treated with disrespect? And I agree with you about the level of maturity. BBG is acting like a child and this should be a place of maturity. His analogy of the oil on the fretboard was perfect. Just his level of thinking. Anyone else out there thinking this is respectful behavior?

Everybody nose I'm just trolling a troll though. You've forced our hands, Jerry. Do you think I really want to be posting about your generously proportioned beak across the Internet?

What is your problem? Jerry K. has never told any lies on this forum. He only gives honest educated information. I guess you think you're being clever but you are just showing the world your ignorance. Ok, Jerry has a big nose. What are we going to do about your empty head? That is the real question here. Act with some maturity and you will get some respect.

So... you are another one that thinks that people asking for help should be treated with disrespect? And I agree with you about the level of maturity. BBG is acting like a child and this should be a place of maturity. His analogy of the oil on the fretboard was perfect. Just his level of thinking. Anyone else out there thinking this is respectful behavior?

Hey Hogeye! I do agree that the "immature" label can be put on folks on both sides of the issue. I'm really new here and it looked to me like all this venom came about when someone innocently (at least to me) posted some experiences about playing at a coffeehouse. It seemed there was a response post that was way out of proportion to the original post, at least to me. As I mentioned and the response poster even agreed he could just not read that person's post because it would not interest him. There seems to be a history of bad blood between those two that I am not privy to, and don't really want to learn.

Then a totally different issue was brought up about the original poster posing as a Gibson Expert of some kind and that he wasn't. If he is doing that then yes, he should be called out for giving wrong information. But that is a totally different issue from the coffeehouse show thread, and when I ask a question I do need to use some common sense when taking any advice. I agree there are no stupid questions, but there can be stupid answers, and we all have to be on the lookout (the OP with the question and others responding with answers).

By the way I am a "late in life" full time gigging in New Orleans musician and I do share your concern over people agreeing to play for free. It's bad for everyone. It sounds as though the coffeehouse in question was not going to pay anyone anyway and just not have music. Maybe I'm wrong about that. The only gig I do for free is for a non profit co-op here in NOLA that fosters acoustic original music. Everything else is for money. But again that is an issue I would be happy to discuss in another thread.

I'm so happy to be on this forum and a new Gibson owner and I look forward to learning from all of you and supporting all of you in the joy of playing. I'll bet if I were to meet you in person we would do just fine! :)

Hogeye, I'm not throwing mud here and wonder why you feel the need to. Just having a discussion. I really don't think there's a need to be talking about someones level of maturity. I have no affiliation with old wily at all ,nor do I mean the guy any harm. If you dont like him that's your trouble , doesn't matter to me .he can start ten threads a day if he likes.

You're out of order sir ,and I can't understand your umbridge with me which has reached a point where you feel the need to stoop to just pure insults?

I've learnt a lot from this forum. And not just about guitars

Bayoubengal, sorry for all the fuss. All of this has a history going back several years. Just recently whatisname put up a surly screed about supposed draconian Gibson marketing practices and passed on rumors and bs about it. During that little contretemps (or was it the previous episode?) Hogeye made a little dig about the so-called cafe gig. Whussisface responded to it in his latest (of hundreds!) 'cafe gig' soapbox thread so I zinged him a bit. That's about where you came in. It's too bad they deleted the thread because in light of what you now know you might better understand why I told him there, better to practice up, record and post his music in the appropriate sub-forum than go around putting on airs.

No one would give a damn about him or his silly coffee ship if he didn't so stubbornly dispense misinformation and consistently demonize anyone who actually knows anything.

But you do seem to be giving a damn. I've seen more about this free gig than I ever did about misinformation. Call all the bullshit you want, when seen, I'll support you, do it with respect and with the focus being on conveying the correct info, I'll applaud you. Re-read your posts over the last few days (the ones that haven't been chopped) you two have gone after him about banging out some free tunes way more than anything else. Fact.

It's just this sort of thinking that makes this place useless. People that are seeking information need to have a place to get accurate answers and not chaff. I know you all like the guy but that is no excuse for him spreading his insanity to people in need.. There are no stupid questions... None... We should all try to be helpful.

Couldn't agree more, even to the point of humoring/avoiding community posts you feel a bit of a 'roll eyes' towards. Ask not what assumptions you can leap to about someone else, but what the situation may teach you about yourself. In the case of this lingering exchange it's that both you are trying to kick a man where he's down. Where any artist (good or bad) may be most sensitive. Like I said above, call all the bullshit you see, I'll support that every time. Don't pick on an old fella trying to get a few like minded souls to talk to. The same person can have views you agree with and disagree with. There's a time & place for meanness, I believe it's justified when countering down right meanness repeatedly about the same thing.

I think you are a part of the problem and no amount of rationalization can justify this. You stated your case eloquently and now we know who you really are. Thanks.

Assumptions again, you're firing out sermons and trying to paint people in a corner. A great many of your posts are worthy of respect Hogeye, some are not. Get over yourself on this one. It's wrong.

What is your problem? Jerry K. has never told any lies on this forum. He only gives honest educated information. I guess you think you're being clever but you are just showing the world your ignorance. Ok, Jerry has a big nose. What are we going to do about your empty head? That is the real question here. Act with some maturity and you will get some respect.

I will act with maturity when I see some in return. You two really do need to get over yourselves. If you're so better than us, why are you not leading this thread to a higher level instead of continuing to kick an old fella's who's been downed, downed again, kicked, then kicked again for the same thing. Calling a wee slot in a local place unpaid a gig. Is it really that bad? That's the question... is it really that bad that it justifies what you both have done over a few threads?

Yes, Jerry does have a big nose, after I first pointed it out his next video was nose free, a weak point you might say, are you going to call me out for using a weak spot, given the above? Now, Jerry, big nose or not, I have always said showed extremely commendable fretboard and harmony knowledge, hats off to him, but when he spits venom at many people he feels on a lesser platform than himself, it's not awfully nice, as such I'm then forced to point out the weaker points in Jerry's playing also and they're there. Jerry would be an awful lot better if he was a good as he thinks he is.

If you take anything away from these threads please take this, I will repeat many of your posts are valuable and worthy of respect, this is not your finest hour Hogeye. By and large Jerry's just a venomous meany.. we've all seen it so many times now. ..and a coward, he blocks those able to take him on. I have far more hope for you on this than I do for him.

Bayoubengal, sorry for all the fuss. All of this has a history going back several years. Just recently whatisname put up a surly screed about supposed draconian Gibson marketing practices and passed on rumors and bs about it. During that little contretemps (or was it the previous episode?) Hogeye made a little dig about the so-called cafe gig. Whussisface responded to it in his latest (of hundreds!) 'cafe gig' soapbox thread so I zinged him a bit. That's about where you came in. It's too bad they deleted the thread because in light of what you now know you might better understand why I told him there, better to practice up, record and post his music in the appropriate sub-forum than go around putting on airs.

Thanks for that Jerry. I am really happy to be here, and I do appreciate your knowledge. I am already learning certain headlines will pop up on this forum and I know I don't wanna click on that one! That's not too many, though.

"Jerry K. has never told any lies on this forum. He only gives honest educated information"

Sure Hogeye, but he has also chosen to sneer at people who post clips here for fun in a collegiate manner as "loud in your face buskers who can't play well"...paraphrasing there.

That ain't very nice especially when those same people have commented on his few and far between vids in a positive way...

get off yer high horse mate

"Jerry K. has never told any lies on this forum. He only gives honest educated information"

Sure Hogeye, but he has also chosen to sneer at people who post clips here for fun in a collegiate manner as "loud in your face buskers who can't play well"...paraphrasing there.

That ain't very nice especially when those same people have commented on his few and far between vids in a positive way...

get off yer high horse mate

I have promised never to offer anything besides polite applause (or better) to musical performances posted in the Your Acoustical Perf thread. I do notice that my little recent implied criticism has cleared the front page of some of the clutter and preponderance of perf threads that had been there recently.

OK, so what's your reason for not posting in the Acoustical Perf thread? In my opinion, the best players on the board, like Mr. Gibbs, post primarily in there. They are sharing. They have nothing to prove. If everyone posted their vids and recordings in there, that thread would get a lot more clicks and there will be some residual clicks as time goes on that you wouldn't have gotten with threads that vanish down the stack.

So... there seems to be a fair bit of indecision here on whether or not this factory installed pickguard appears to be too "red"...

Sorry if it appears I am trying to derail this thread, but if ever one needed to be derailed, I cannot recall one more deserving.

b9acaa1b-3e2e-4fcf-a0c8-07dd593565b0_zpscb862b18.jpg

To my eyes, the pickguard suits the guitar well. I think that the clearly reddish look is enforced by the photoflash indeed, same as the pale look of the finish due to the diffuse share of light reflection.

There is no problem with the colour of the pickguard I think. [thumbup]

Archived