Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul traditional or standard?

Jackdaniels2244

I like both and I don't know how the weight affects the tone. I'm not convinced it does. I know the Standard sure is lighter than the Traditional.

I believe the Eastern Rock Maple has more to do with the tone then the weight relief...lol. Its the neck profile and pick-ups.

I like both and I don't know how the weight affects the tone. I'm not convinced it does. I know the Standard sure is lighter than the Traditional.

I believe the Eastern Rock Maple has more to do with the tone then the weight relief...lol. Its the neck profile and pick-ups.

The weight thing might apply in the average. The actual weight of individual guitars is varying significantly.

Is the maple used for Traditionals and Standards different in other respects than looks?

The neck profile will surely play a role there, like I pointed out before. The pickups don't change the basic resonance characteristics of a guitar but only how they will be transduced into a signal.

The weight thing might apply in the average. The actual weight of individual guitars is varying significantly.

Is the maple used for Traditionals and Standards different in other respects than looks?

The neck profile will surely play a role there, like I pointed out before. The pickups don't change the basic resonance characteristics of a guitar but only how they will be transduced into a signal.

Eastern Hard Rock Maple cannot be bought in large enough supplies to build all Gibson LP-Tops so they use "Western" maple also. Yes it does sound better and was once used on "all" 59RIs and Custom Shop.

Right the pick-ups don't change wood or resonance, they do change "tone". Thus one pick-up may sound better than another to some. May have "zip" to do with the guitar overall. The Maple is a very different story. Mineral deposits/veins is a tell tale sign of Eastern Maple.

The weight relief is equal to me, for example, like a Strat or SG with a batwing pick-guard. There's a slightly different nuance in tone do to the different acoustic structure. Same difference between 2012 and 2013 SG Standard. Or a Strat with a swimming pool route as opposed to vintage routing.

The weight has nothing to do with it IMHO. Think acoustics, same if you pulled the rear plate off a chambered LP-DC or left it on. For sure it will have a different tonal characteristic. At least to my ears.

Eastern Hard Rock Maple cannot be bought in large enough supplies to build all Gibson LP-Tops so they use "Western" maple also. Yes it does sound better and was once used on "all" 59RIs and Custom Shop.

Right the pick-ups don't change wood or resonance, they do change "tone". Thus one pick-up may sound better than another to some. May have "zip" to do with the guitar overall. The Maple is a very different story. Mineral deposits/veins is a tell tale sign of Eastern Maple.

Is there somehow like a general or avarage correlation of looks versus tone, or is it more about region of origin, and of certain tree species?

As you spoke about supplies, there should result very different prices, too. Perhaps selected timbers are the reason for the extraordinarily consistent sonic qualities of my Fender American Deluxe Ash Telecaster compared to my other Fenders? Evaluated without dynamics or overdrives, it also beats many Gibson Les Paul guitars for sustain, let alone dull notes, including a Gibson Custom Shop LP Standard Figured of mine.

Is there somehow like a general or avarage correlation of looks versus tone, or is it more about region of origin, and of certain tree species?

As you spoke about supplies, there should result very different prices, too. Perhaps selected timbers are the reason for the extraordinarily high sonic qualities of my Fender American Deluxe Ash Telecaster compared to my other Fenders? Evaluated without dynamics or overdrives, it also beats many Gibson Les Paul guitars for sustain, let alone dull notes, including a Gibson Custom Shop LP Standard Figured of mine.

Yes the looks of the Western Maple is often where you see the highly figured "quilted" tops. So its another tell-tale sign of Western maple. Looks vs tone, not really, more Eastern vs Western.

Selected timbers don't equate to tone. They equate to color shading, grain, figuring, none of which equates to tone.

Ash is another story, Northern Ash as opposed to Swamp Ash of the south. There's no comparison in tone. The Southern Ash is hands down a better tone wood. Northern Ash is a filler just like the Western Maple is.

I like Southern Ash and my Strat is Ash and 5.5 lbs. But, it doesn't sustain better than other woods from what I hear.

My Telecaster Deluxe Ash and my LP Traditional 2013 are my benchmarks for creating singing notes throughout the entire fretboard. They put out incredibly rich overtones without lacking fundamentals. None of my guitars with a thinner neck can keep up in this respect.

My Telecaster Deluxe Ash and my LP Traditional 2013 are my benchmarks for creating singing notes throughout the entire fretboard. They put out incredibly rich overtones without lacking fundamentals. None of my guitars with a thinner neck can keep up in this respect.

That's the thinner neck guitars which you are comparing though, surely not all?

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by thinner in relation. I like larger necks 50-profile Gibson's, Oval or large C, boat, Fenders. Nevertheless I have played 60 profile and modern C Fenders which worked in some case's better than the larger. Doesn't change my own preference, but my preference doesn't change the reality of the very good playing and sounding 60 necks I've played either.

60 necks are popular for sure.

How Did I Miss This Bunfight?!......Wheeeee!!!!!

...Weight relief makes absolutely no audible difference what so ever (to unplugged tone)...

[thumbup]

..There's no doubt that unplugged, the construction of a guitar makes a big difference...

Yes, there is a doubt. More on this later.

...I will happily bet anyone £10000 that in a blind test they can't pick 30 swisscheesed LPs from 30 totally solid ones, plugged in, unplugged, whatever...

I've been offering a similar (if less generous) challenge hereabouts for years and no-one has ever taken up my hospitality either. I'm beginning to doubt anyone ever will.

I even offered them just to be able to pick out their own instrument from the five we would have assembled for the test. Still nobody bit. Odd, Huh?

Well yeah, but, you know, English food sucks, so, maybe they don't drink? And it rains a lot.

If you come over I'll make you a nice pie. Then you would have to change that to 'The vast majority of English food sucks' (even if I do say so myself...[biggrin]).

OK. To be serious for a moment.

I have four Lesters - two solid (both R-Is) and two weight relieved (both 1960 Classics). They were all made between 1991 and 1995 and vary in weight by less that 3 oz between the lot of them.

They all sound very slightly different unplugged but there is no way in Hades anyone - and I include myself in their number - could tell which was which, unplugged, in a blind test - and these are guitars I play every day.

I even had a technically minded friend examine their frequency responses/whatever tech boffins can do with an oscilloscope to try to understand why 'identical' guitars can sound different.

The results DID show up certain small - but measurable - differences at certain wavelengths but there was absolutely no correllation whatsoever between the pairs of instruments.

The most likely explanation he came up with to explain the sonic differences were to do with the piece of timber which was used for the neck. Not the body.

And Farns! When rct comes over I absolutely INSIST you let me buy the second (or, perhaps, third if Flight is there) round!

[smile]

P.

With regards to neck profiles, all my guitars are different. I have 6 LP's

that have "'60's" neck profiles. NONE of them, are exactly the same. Some

have rounder overall profile, other's, like my "Classic Plus" have what can

only be described as a "flatter" center area back. So, '50's, '60's, compound,

whatever...WILL vary. I haven't had any trouble "adapting," to any of them.

Sure, I notice the difference, one guitar to the next, at first use...but, I

get used to it, pretty quickly. Since all my guitars, have pretty different

necks (width, and thickness), I've always just adapted, or "lived with it!"

My Gibson "Lucille" has the fattest neck, and my Ric's, have the thinnest, in

general. It's just never been a problem, adapting, and playing any of them,

comfortably. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

• 10 months later...

I feel the point being missed is the reactance or how the guitar responds to your playing.

If the instrument's signal is going to travel through a myriad of effects/processors, then you may as well get a Danelectro.

I own an older LP Standard which is non-chambered. I can vouch for the 'feel' or response of the guitar to be unrivalled.

No FX needed!

The 10k argument is a little silly and over-opinionated, as any amount of production or emulation will sound

similar.

Is it a question of kudos or artistic expression?

I have both a '13 Standard Plus and a '14 Traditional. Love them both. The weight relief is quite noticeable on the Standard and more comfortable to play standing. But I like the heft of the Traditional and it's thick neck. I don't consider the 60s neck easier to play, just a different feel.

And Farns! When rct comes over I absolutely INSIST you let me buy the second (or, perhaps, third if Flight is there) round!

As of today September 20th 2014, the plan is for sometime in our 35th year of marriage. So somewhere between November of '15 and November of '16.

Boat over, which'll take a week. Three weeks or so puttering around France, but it all depends on the boat back and how we can work that one out. So a minimum of three weeks eating and drinking continental for the first time since The Romanoff in Bermuda. Can't wait. You have some nice art over there too I've heard. So Mrs is up for spending some time in London before we boat home, so I told her you nice people would buy her dinner at Galvin at Windows and she reluctantly agreed.

rct

As of today September 20th 2014, the plan is for sometime in our 35th year of marriage. So somewhere between November of '15 and November of '16.

Boat over, which'll take a week. Three weeks or so puttering around France, but it all depends on the boat back and how we can work that one out. So a minimum of three weeks eating and drinking continental for the first time since The Romanoff in Bermuda. Can't wait. You have some nice art over there too I've heard. So Mrs is up for spending some time in London before we boat home, so I told her you nice people would buy her dinner at Galvin at Windows and she reluctantly agreed.

rct

Now that sounds like a lot of fun, rct!

Any members live near Phoenix? Maybe get a mini-jam going somewhere and have a BBQ? [smile]

• 1 year later...

Hello, Im thinking about buying another guitar and want an LP, but not sure on which one to get.... [confused]

Basically, the neck size is playing a huge factor in my decision.

I have a 2004 SG Standard, would that be the same size neck as LP Standard or more like a Traditional? I really love the neck on the SG and want this type.

My other guitar is an 2011 LP 60`s Tribute. I picked it up on ebay and this axe is sweet as well. Those P-90`s really sound cool!

I think the neck is slightly thinner but I wouldn’t say by very much, perhaps its because its without the binding.

Ive read the Traditional has the wider 50`s neck, is this the “baseball bat” neck?

Hello, Im thinking about buying another guitar and want an LP, but not sure on which one to get.... [confused]

Basically, the neck size is playing a huge factor in my decision.

I have a 2004 SG Standard, would that be the same size neck as LP Standard or more like a Traditional? I really love the neck on the SG and want this type.

My other guitar is an 2011 LP 60`s Tribute. I picked it up on ebay and this axe is sweet as well. Those P-90`s really sound cool!

I think the neck is slightly thinner but I wouldn’t say by very much, perhaps its because its without the binding.

Ive read the Traditional has the wider 50`s neck, is this the “baseball bat” neck?

Well they vary a bit but yes usually Traditionals have the 50s thicker neck.. Im not exactly sure what the 2016 Standards come with, they just call it a traditional shape which I guess would also be a 50s neck, but they say its got a compound radius..

If its a 60s neck you want (slim taper) you want a Les Paul Classic. Even though they seem to be missing so far from the 2016 line up which Gibson have yet to give details on.

Well they vary a bit but yes usually Traditionals have the 50s thicker neck.. Im not exactly sure what the 2016 Standards come with, they just call it a traditional shape which I guess would also be a 50s neck, but they say its got a compound radius..

If its a 60s neck you want (slim taper) you want a Les Paul Classic. Even though they seem to be missing so far from the 2016 line up which Gibson have yet to give details on.

The holidays are coming up and hopefully some good deals! Im going to have to take a trip over to GC and test them out instead of buying something off ebay.

I was thinking about getting something older, but you never know on eBay?? i got lucky with that 60`s Trib a huge price different though!

The 2016s look awesome and having a warranty makes me feel a little more at ease:)

Thanks!!!

The holidays are coming up and hopefully some good deals! Im going to have to take a trip over to GC and test them out instead of buying something off ebay.

ALWAYS the best idea... Try as many as you can... Even try more than one of the same model and colour if they have one in the back.. Each guitar is slightly different in neck profile and setup... The more you play the more you will realise what you like and what you don't like and then at some point one will jump out at you and you will know, its "the one" :)

Also a good thing to do is make sure you play it through an amp that's similar or the same as what you have at home, that way you get a much better idea of what it will sound like with your set up...

Its well worth taking your time and making sure you get whats right for you.. Good luck on the hunt and let us know what you get (and of course we will want to see pictures :))

http://www.guitarcenter.com/search?Ns=r&Ntt=gibson+les+paul+classic

The 2016 Standards come with a SlimTaper 60s asymmetric neck with a compound radius.

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone! It took me quite awhile to decide on which one to buy. I went with a used Standard (2004) it was the nicest sounding one I played.

I really like the chunky 50`s neck, It plays like butter and has sustain for days! Im very happy I looked around and thanks for the advice!

Ill never go back into or purchase anything through GC. Those pompous twats are a bunch of morons,,,,lol

post-74360-073369000 1451233387_thumb.jpg

Gorgeous!!! Congrats!!!

I've had my round and round with GC before too... but, I did get my 2016 Trad (and a good deal at that) from them... so I guess I have to give them that. That said... as a rule, I MUCH prefer buying from my local Sam Ash (really a bunch of GREAT guys there with a great selection of LPs).

Anyway, HNGD! [thumbup]

• 3 years later...

I spent all day once, trying out both. I ended up with a Traditional. I loved the tone of the guitar and feel of the neck of the one I brought back in December 2012.

It sounds lovely to me through my Egnater rebel 30 mk1 1x12 combo. The guys in the band I play in like the sound as well. (Cheeky plug here ~~~~~> Bourbon Alley.....Spotify album 100 Times, if you wanted to hear it.)

• Sad 1