Gibson Brands Forums

Your BEST GUESS

Izzy

This is not the best pic and I know you gotta open 'er up to know for sure, but as a guess...

What pup is the bridge (rail HB)? Guesses on the neck welcome but that could be anything....

It is a moded old mustang, both pups were switched god only knows what else.

The neck does seem short scale, though.

mutang.jpg

I know Mustangs suck (surfpup) but I spent two hours playing my very comfortable Strat last night on the leg, with strap, on the other leg....seriously, I need a break and this may be a fun, cheap solution.

Beware! Headstock...Where's the Fender decal? Think neck has been changed, not Fender (so why not body might have been changed too?).....bridge p/u is typical hi-output single 'hot rail'. I would not buy this guitar.

Its being sent to the store here, they said I have to pay when it arrives.

IF the neck is not short scale and it sounds feels like a$$...not going for it.

If the neck is short scale and it feels decent, considering its $299 and comes with a hard case, I may go for it.

The truth is I don't like mustang bridges and would have moded it this way, also, I wanted rails on it and this is already sort of doing that...the neck is my only worry, and the state of the body. I did ask the girl helping me if the neck was short scale and she said yes. If it isn't they can't make me pay under false pretense.

Its being sent to the store here, they said I have to pay when it arrives.

IF the neck is not short scale and it sounds feels like a$$...not going for it.

If the neck is short scale and it feels decent, considering its $299 and comes with a hard case, I may go for it.

The truth is I don't like mustang bridges and would have moded it this way, also, I wanted rails on it and this is already sort of doing that...the neck is my only worry, and the state of the body. I did ask the girl helping me if the neck was short scale and she said yes. If it isn't they can't make me pay under false pretense.

You can tell yourself easy enough if its short or long scale by measuring it.. You measure between where the string comes off the nut to where it hits the bridge....

csscacascac_zps93dbeb70.png

sxsxaxasxax1_zpsdd989fcd.jpg

HOWEVER my suggestion if you want a light guitar is to get a Pignose.. They are AWESOME little guitars and so much fun to play.. Got a full sized neck. Ive had my one for about 15 years now and its still going strong [thumbup] If you ever see one you gotta try it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqlLjhDQzTU

HOWEVER my suggestion if you want a light guitar is to get a Pignose.. They are AWESOME little guitars and so much fun to play.. Got a full sized neck. Ive had my one for about 15 years now and its still going strong [thumbup] If you ever see one you gotta try it ;)

I've played a pignose...a patient who was having the worst time first with alcohol withdrawal and then with the brain damage from it had one in his room; his friend brought it to him to help him. He ignored it but I filled it with batteries, tuned it and before I knew it he was coming around to it. I'd sit in his room when I had time and play a bit and we'd sing together. It was great therapy and fun. I didn't realize they had full scale necks...

I've played a pignose...a patient who was having the worst time first with alcohol withdrawal and then with the brain damage from it had one in his room; his friend brought it to him to help him. He ignored it but I filled it with batteries, tuned it and before I knew it he was coming around to it. I'd sit in his room when I had time and play a bit and we'd sing together. It was great therapy and fun. I didn't realize they had full scale necks...

I just measured it.. 24.25 :)

Fun little things arnt they and the battery lasts for ages... [thumbup]

Mmhh Fender Mustangs have that route on top to accommodate the tremolo springs. They may have filled that cavity and refinished.

Just make sure it is not a modded Squier Cyclone.

WOW....the cyclone can look a LOT like the mustang...thanks SO MUCH for the warning, that there is golden info [scared]

The up side for me is I am so spoiled using the best equipment that virtually no guitar makes me happy. This isn't about me looking at names, this is my hands and fingers making their choices and my ears following that choice. If they say its worth the price, I jump.

I was very impressed with the American Special Mustang I tried today. Good build and sound. They want $799 though and I don't think a little toy of a guitar deserves that much, USA made or not. But I could feel the craftsmanship and with that competition...if a cyclone sounds and feels as good as the Mustang I tried, heck, take my money. Like THAT will happen. [laugh]

You can tell yourself easy enough if its short or long scale by measuring it.. You measure between where the string comes off the nut to where it hits the bridge....

csscacascac_zps93dbeb70.png

sxsxaxasxax1_zpsdd989fcd.jpg

Due to intonation adjustment, in most cases it is more exacting to read half the scale from the fretboard side edge of the nut to the top of the 12th fret wire and double the reading.

Due to intonation adjustment, in most cases it is more exacting to read half the scale from the fretboard side edge of the nut to the top of the 12th fret wire and double the reading.

Yeah its just a rough way to work it out.. just measure in the middle of the fret board :)

If you are looking for a light guitar, and you want a good guitar, think about a Parker DF (Maxxfly, formerly Dragonfly).

My DF is 5 pounds, has a great neck profile (14" radius, 25.5" scale), hardened stainless steel frets, ebony fretboard, Sperzel locking tuners, Graph-tech bridge and nut, Duncan pickups, a Ghost piezo under the bridge, well balanced (no neck dive), and both a joy to play and to listen to.

I've also gotten excellent customer service out of Parker.

It's a little pricey, but they do make cheaper models overseas that might do the job.

Notes

If you are looking for a light guitar, and you want a good guitar, think about a Parker DF (Maxxfly, formerly Dragonfly).

My DF is 5 pounds, has a great neck profile (14" radius, 25.5" scale), hardened stainless steel frets, ebony fretboard, Sperzel locking tuners, Graph-tech bridge and nut, Duncan pickups, a Ghost piezo under the bridge, well balanced (no neck dive), and both a joy to play and to listen to.

I've also gotten excellent customer service out of Parker.

It's a little pricey, but they do make cheaper models overseas that might do the job.

Notes

I have a Parker Nitefly SA made in USA. Gorgeous guitar, high quality, light as a feather...sounds sterile to me. The neck is a bit uncomfortable as well. We just have not bonded. It bothers me that we haven't bonded. My MIM Strat and I bonded from day one, I don't put it down. You'd think a lighter guitar with that many extras would be ideal. I'm getting rid of the Parker, as much as it pains me.

It looks like the guitar is not on the GC website anymore.

I just noticed that the neck does not have the truss rod adjustment at the headstock, but rather at the hill, like a vintage Mustang would.

I noticed that too. I've been handling the vintage duo sonics, musicmasters and mustangs for a while in my search and a few MIJ 65 RIs and USA mustangs. I should be able to sniff out any major issue. I'll bring a cheat sheet with all your advice and do a major inspection...heck, even a TRUE MINT isn't going to tempt me if it don't feel/sound right.

I love all ya'll...watching out for each other on this forum, best guitar pals ever [wub]

Archived