Gibson Brands Forums

Wilshire '66 reissue - thoughts on these?

old mark

Just bought one online, a return but "mint"...I have liked the old N Y Mini-Humbucker sound since the '60's, and I have heard a LOT of great sounds come out of these guitars. Anyone have one, love it , hate it?

Thanks

mark

Anyone have one, love it , hate it?

I've had mine just short of four years. It's surprisingly well made and it was the best (new - out of the box) setup guitar I've bought in recent times, just required a few minutes on the nut and a tweak here and there. I love the light weight of it and the shallow, wide neck. The switch position is a bit of a pain, too easy to catch it and switch pickups. I routed it a bit and turned it around so it operates from side to side now rather than up and down. I still catch it with my hand, but it doesn't switch pickups. I'm not exactly mad about the sound of the mini-hums. They fall somewhere between a Fender and a Gibson but, to me, they're neither fish nor fowl. I appreciate that sound is subjective and all players will have their own opinion. I'd give it 9/10 for build/playability and 5/10 for sound.

Interesting, regarding the "mini" humbuckers. :-k I can't attenst to Epi's versions, but my

old '76 LP Deluxe Gibson versions, and the new Gibson versions, on my Epi AIUSA

Sheraton, are awesome. Not Fender like (to me), but more like Gibson's '57's, but with

a bit more midrange, and bite. But, still very "Gibson" humbucker sounding. Not quite

the "sparkle, or piercing highs, that a Fender pickup has, more of. A mini, in the neck

position, is awesome...not muddy, at all...unless you want it, by turning down the

tone control.

But, again, that's just "my" take, on the Gibson versions....obviously, other's have their

own ideas/experiences. [biggrin]

Cheers,

CB

Not Fender like (to me), but more like Gibson's '57's, but with

a bit more midrange, and bite. But, still very "Gibson" humbucker sounding. Not quite

the "sparkle, or piercing highs, that a Fender pickup has, more of.

Ah, I should have made that clearer. I wasn't referring to a Fender single coil, I meant between a Fender wide range humbucker and a Gibson. Even as a dyed in the wool, lifelong Telecaster lover, I never did see anything at all to recommend the Wide Range humbucker. Other opinions are available [smile]

I bought one from Music 1 2 3, and it got here yesterday around noon, before they even sent me a tracking number :) ...

It is beautiful, very well made, solid hardware and great handful of mahogany neck - VERY fast, an easy player. The mini humbuckers are unique...Dialed back, they sound jazzy...Open them up and they sound like my long gone '72 Telecaster*, but better...Gibson scale, all mahogany and the thing SUSTAINS like crazy...The wood just vibrates whenever you touch the strings...very lively guitar, and just a joy to play...mine is Aged Cherry...

DSCN1645_zpsdf67c1ad.jpg

DSCN1649_zps611cc2f0.jpg

There are a few very good new guitars at bargain prices, and a lot of them are Epiphones - Dots, WildKats, Masterbilt acoustics, and these '66 Wilshires...

This is a GREAT guitar, light, solid, beautiful tones, great to play...and the rather odd shape grows on you the more you play it. Highly recommended - another GREAT one, Epiphone!

Epiphone, PLEASE find other uses for these amazing mini humbuckers...IMO, they are the best pups you make!

* I had a '72 Fender Telecaster, factory Bigsby, no string holes in the body and an odd mount for the bridge pickup. It had a very LOW action, as does this Wilshire, but could provide a very smooth and rich tone rather than the harsh treble sting sound of a lot of Tele's...It was a kind of sparkle blue color, and of course I sold it in 1976, thinking I could always find another one...If I had a spare $5000, I probably could...

mark

For a double cutaway solid body, my preferences are SG's and LP Double Cutaways. To me, Wilshires have a lot of Fender influence in the body design, pickguard, and tuners. I'd rather have something that's all Gibson origin.

Mini-HB's are an interesting idea. I have an Epi Firebird and they're great in the neck slot; more clarity than a full-size HB. You can get mounting rings to put mini's in a regular HB guitar. Tempting idea.

I really like the bodies/necks on these Epis - best of both worlds -

Gibson early SG: light weight body, high fret access, set neck, mahogany, scale length, finish, tune-o and stop tail etc

Fender Strat: Body recess, strap pin placement, 6 on a side headstock

Looks like an understated electric guitar and plays well.

Enjoy it Mark!

Archived