Gibson Brands Forums

Orange Micro terror

Thommo

I posted this question in another thread under "reviews" but I'm not sure it was the best place for it, since it isn't a review - more a request for opinions. So I thought I'd try posting it here. My apologies!

I've been looking at the Orange Micro Terror amp head as an option for playing at home and in church ( where I don't need heaps of volume just good tone). I'm also considering the 8" cab to go with it ( possibly two of them). I just wondered if anyone has used the head and/or cabs and what you think of them? I'll be using my LPJ with stock 490R and 498T pickups.

Thanks!

I've thought about getting one to keep in my classroom at school. I generally prefer all tube amps, but people have raved about this little thing in reviews. Wish I had more actual info for you. Hopefully someone here has one as I am interested in them as well.

It's a great little amp, my colleague has one.

I've thought about getting one to keep in my classroom at school. I generally prefer all tube amps, but people have raved about this little thing in reviews. Wish I had more actual info for you. Hopefully someone here has one as I am interested in them as well.

Thanks guys for your quick responses. The reviews I've seen have raved over it, by and large, and for the price £99 it seems worth a shot. I know all tube is preferred but the tube pre-amp seems to make a massive difference as that is what you are actually overdriving. I'm less convinced by the 8" cabs as I fear they may sound too boxy and wonder if I ought to get a 1x12 (though obviously that makes the whole rig it less portable).

I bought a speaker cab locally and the dude that sold it to me had a Micro Terror head plugged into it, frankly it sounded very solid state to me, he loved the convenience of it because he gigs but the sound was just not my cup of tea.

Don't get me wrong it sounds good, aggressive voicing for what I could tell but I did not get the warm and fuzzies that a tube amps gives me.

IF it were me, I'd save a bit more, and get a "Tiny Terror" Tube amp!

(7-15 watts) It sounds "big," at lower volumes, but...you can still "gig"

with it, IF/When you decide to do that. It has that "warm" tube tone, as

well. Get the 1X12 cabinet (or, the "combo" version, if you prefer), and

you're all set. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I have this amp, and it is extremely LOUD.

I run it with a Carvin 2x12, and have also used it with an Orange 1x12 Celestion Vintage 30 cab.

Here is is underneath my SG.

1.jpg

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

What makes you prefer running it through the Carvin over the Orange? I'm assuming the fact that it is a 2x12 has something to do with it?

I have the micro terror for band practice only. It's loud, even with the 8" speaker.

All I can say is that it sounds better with a large cab. A 1x12 sounds ideal to me if you want to gig.

Couple of things I dislike:

It has an external adapter thingy like on a notebook which is a little bit too delicate for me. It's always the first thing I break. The wire is just thin as opposed to the one that goes into the power socket.

The headphone output is just crap... It sounds very harsh and just not right.

Fotoop04-07-2012om1922.jpg

Thanks everyone. Your replies and comments are much appreciated. So far the consensus seems to be:

It sounds good (even there is still a hint of solid state to it)

It's loud!

It sounds best through a decent size speaker.

What does IT do, that a less expensive Fender Mustang SS amp, won't do? [tongue]:rolleyes:[confused]

CB

Well, it's an amp head not a combo, meaning you can pair it with a cab of your choice and alter the tonality in a flash. The Mustang is all solid state - this isn't, and whilst it may have a solid state feel about it it still sounds better than a solid state map overdriven, plus it has the responsiveness that only a valve amp gives you. You also get a classic British amp tone, which sounds fab imho. So I guess the answer is lots - and it's cheaper than a Mustang (and I already have a solid state Marshall)

What makes you prefer running it through the Carvin over the Orange? I'm assuming the fact that it is a 2x12 has something to do with it?

I like to switch them up.

Sometimes I will run the Blackstar HT5R-H through the Carvin cab too.

Either cab though and the Micro Terror will blow me out of my place.

Well, it's an amp head not a combo, meaning you can pair it with a cab of your choice and alter the tonality in a flash. The Mustang is all solid state - this isn't, and whilst it may have a solid state feel about it it still sounds better than a solid state map overdriven, plus it has the responsiveness that only a valve amp gives you. You also get a classic British amp tone, which sounds fab imho. So I guess the answer is lots - and it's cheaper than a Mustang (and I already have a solid state Marshall)

Thanks, for that. I'm not all that familar with either one, except what I've heard from others.

I've played through the Tiny Terror, but never through a Micro Terror. But, other's on this

forum, have "Raved" about the Fender Mustang amps, and how great they sound, as well as all the

features, including "British" tone, as well as the classic Fender varieties. So, that's why I

was curious, as to your take, on all this. I knew the "physical" differences, being a head VS

combo. But, not the tonal diffences...which is all I care about, really...head or combo.

Maybe, in the near future, I'll have an opportunity to "test drive" both? But, the nearest Orange

and Fender dealer, is 100 miles away. [tongue][biggrin]

Cheers,

CB

Chappers and the Captain did a review on one.

Starts out pretty funny, and they even power a 4x12 cab with it.

Gotta love Chappers and the Captain!

This was one of the reviews that convinced me to take a look at the Micro Terror

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've decided to go for it. It's ordered and should be here this week. In the meantime I've modded my Marshall 5275 combo so that I can use it as a cab (as well as a combo). The 12" Celestion Sidewinder in it is pretty sweet!

Well, it has turned up and given a try. All I can say is WOW! The volume on the thing is immense! It's obviously quieter if you want a really clean tone but as soon as you crank the gain it really rocks. I really do believe you could gig with it.

As for the tone, comparing to my solid-state Marshall, the Micro Terror wins hands down for both clean and dirty. Clean, it's warmer and snappier, dirty it is crunchier and has more definition. It definitely doesn't sound solid state to me - its that ECC83 in the pre-amp stage that makes all the difference.

I recommend it 100% - at £99 you really cannot go wrong.

• 1 month later...

Congrats! msp_biggrin.gif

Enjoy the awesome tone of this little amp!

For me it was a no brainer. I needed a practice amp that was portable and not too loud. The Andertons review made me pull the trigger.

This amp actually sounds great.

Rob Chapman uses it as a rehearsal amp with an actual band in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnDrKSmoLeE

1383051495[/url]' post='1443959']

A case of Bud and a chair.......just sitting looking at this, wonderful!!!

Archived