Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown Kalamazoo

RRIDER

Congrats DJS, looks like you are the 1st one on the forum to receive a Midtown Kalamazoo.

You mentioned fit & finish issues...What are they?

Does it have locking tuners?

Did it come with a truss rod wrench?

What do you think about the 9-46 strings w/shorter scale?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got mine today too. I put some answers to the questions asked on another thread. Here:

Linky

But to answer them here too,

You mentioned fit & finish issues...What are they? Mine looks pretty good. I haven't spotted any issues.

Does it have locking tuners? Yes.

Did it come with a truss rod wrench? Mine did.

What do you think about the 9-46 strings w/shorter scale? Maybe too light, I can't imagine heavy strumming on it (I don't strum much anyway). I will be going up to .010s when I change strings. Love the shorter scale though.

Got my first one today. It sounds fantastic and I am really enjoying the shorter-scale neck. Here's a few pics. It seems like Gibson may have rushed these a little bit as the fit/finish is just a little off in a few spots, but overall I think it's worth getting. The neck pickup sounds great ... really fat and warm.

IMG_1684_zpsda0a03c3.jpg

IMG_1688_zps8a93e287.jpg

IMG_1691_zpscf0b814b.jpg

IMG_1692_zpsc217db47.jpg

IMG_1693_zps8cdada73.jpg

Looks like a second . I hope mine looks better or it goes back. That is probably why you got it for 1000

Congrats DJS, looks like you are the 1st one on the forum to receive a Midtown Kalamazoo.

You mentioned fit & finish issues...What are they?

Does it have locking tuners?

Did it come with a truss rod wrench?

What do you think about the 9-46 strings w/shorter scale?

Thomse is probably right ... I'm guessing I got a second after they lowered the price to match Amazon. That doesn't bother me too much though at the price point.

You mentioned fit & finish issues...What are they? There are a couple of spots where the finish overlaps the binding just a bit. Also, some paint residue where the neck joint is (you can see it in the above picture)

Does it have locking tuners? Yes, it came with the Grover locking tuners

Did it come with a truss rod wrench? Yup, truss rod wrench in the case.

What do you think about the 9-46 strings w/shorter scale? The strings feel good, very easy to play and bend, but I may replace with heavier flatwounds for a jazzier tone at some point.

Thomse is probably right ... I'm guessing I got a second after they lowered the price to match Amazon. That doesn't bother me too much though at the price point.

All of the Midtown Kalamzoos cost the dealer the same. The dealer doesn't have a special pile of crappy guitars over there that they send out to folks that price match them down. That isn't how it works. A "second" is actually something that means a specific thing, and unless you have a "2" or the word "second" on the back of the headstock, you do not have a second, just another crappily painted guitar.

rct

Got my first one today. It sounds fantastic and I am really enjoying the shorter-scale neck. Here's a few pics. It seems like Gibson may have rushed these a little bit as the fit/finish is just a little off in a few spots, but overall I think it's worth getting. The neck pickup sounds great ... really fat and warm.

IMG_1691_zpscf0b814b.jpg

I see white space between the neck and where it's set into the body? Is that glue or is it just unpainted there at the seam? If so that will really piss me off if mine looks like that. That's very poor quality from Gibson. They should know better than that especially with a "limited edition" release. I'm going to assume these are NOT factory seconds otherwise it would be stamped as such.

This has to be one of the most anticipated guitars ever on this forum.

Can anybody say what is is exactly about this guitar that has got everyone jumping up and down after (at first) just seeing a picture of it?

Looks good but nothing extraordinary.

Nice but (sorry) I just don't quite get it!

Glad I'm not the only one. I was curious about that myself.

I see white space between the neck and where it's set into the body? Is that glue or is it just unpainted there at the seam? If so that will really piss me off if mine looks like that. That's very poor quality from Gibson. They should know better than that especially with a "limited edition" release. I'm going to assume these are NOT factory seconds otherwise it would be stamped as such.

Appears to be unpainted at the seam ... yup, good QC for ya. They even checked off the "Exterior Finish" box!

Well, I figured to join to inform the people, my Kalamazoo arrived yesterday from Zzounds.

Don't know who was sleeping at the controls

The first thing I noticed when I opened the case was the action was a mile high then I notice what DJS has on his guitar a white space then I turn it over and see this.

IMG_20131112_163538_589.jpg

IMG_20131112_164228_165.jpg

IMG_20131112_164313_078.jpg

No damage to the box or case ????

It is a beautiful guitar so im very pissed I have to wait till more come in but Zzounds assured me I will be receiving one once they arrive.

The Split actually goes into the body, roughly the width of the neck. A little more and the neck would be completely detached. The picture of the back you can see how far across it is.

Really mind boggling. There isn’t another mark on the guitar that would indicate it fell or was banged around. Looks to me while it was on the work bench at Gibson or Zzound someone must have leaned on the guitar and split it and decided not to be forthcoming.

I’m leaning towards Zzounds then again I wouldn’t put it past Gibson.

Well, I figured to join to inform the people, my Kalamazoo arrived yesterday from Zzounds.

The first thing I noticed when I opened the case was the action was a mile high then I notice what DJS has on his guitar a white space then I turn it over and see this.

IMG_20131112_164228_165.jpg

IMG_20131112_164313_078.jpg

It is a beautiful guitar so im very pissed I have to wait till more come in but Zzounds assured me I will be receiving one once they arrive.

The Split actually goes into the body, roughly the width of the neck. A little more and the neck would be completely detached. The picture of the back you can see how far across it is.

Really mind boggling. There isn’t another mark on the guitar that would indicate it fell or was banged around. Looks to me while it was on the work bench at Gibson or Zzound someone must have leaned on the guitar and split it and decided not to be forthcoming.

Sorry to see that . whats the deal with the black paint job around the neck joint . Maybe Gibson should stick with there 5 to 10 grand guitars . Time for them to change the buffing wheels . the buff marks are some thing to look at

Appears to be unpainted at the seam ... yup, good QC for ya. They even checked off the "Exterior Finish" box!

Hey great video. Thanks for all the pictures and i am sure its not a second but what should we expect from a $1499 Gibson .

oh man....

where to begin. my condolences on your guitar man. that is awful. I do hope that you get a replacement very quickly. as in that should be Zzounds #1 priority when they get a new batch.

it could have happened somewhere during transit. even in the case. Wood reacts funky if its hit from just the right (or in this case wrong) angle where the pressure that goes through the wood reacts in cracks elsewhere in the body. but I've never seen a guitar crap the bed that intensely.

let us know how they handle the situation.

peace

That really sucks! I hope Zzounds takes care of you in a timely manner...But I would guess you might be waiting until the first part of December like the rest of us are to get ours, to get a replacement. I hope it doesn't take that long, but if the QC is better by waiting, I'll wait!

Jesus Christ! [cursing]

That sucks in so many ways I don't know where to start. I am trusting that they have already emailed you a prepaid return shipping label and will be crediting you back your full payment until they get more in stock. Which will allow you the necessary time to decide if you even want one of these guitars or not. That is just absolutely unacceptable on so many levels. Wow. What a letdown. [angry]

I hope Gibson is reading this thread. Someone needs to be fired for checking that box. Or, if that is acceptable QC for Gibson - then this will be the last "new" Gibson I purchase. I know that Gibson has had their QC issues over the years as I have been a Gibson player for decades now - but in this social media connected world and with all the guitar manufacturers there are now they really need to step up. My much anticipated excitement over getting this guitar has been greatly diminished by what I'm seeing here and that's sad. Not the end of the world by any stretch but just sad. Now I have to wonder if what I receive will be acceptable to me or not. If I see poor QC as witnessed here I will simply return the guitar and move on. (insert swear word here) :unsure:

Well Zzounds has so far been good, should be getting the prepaid return shipping label today.

I took the 8 payment plan so they only took 200 for now.

I was told it should be 1 to 2 weeks till the next batch but I’m guessing early December. The customer service rep was very understanding with the issue and the time I’ve waited for the guitar.

Definitely hoping the quality is better on the next batch. Polishing/Buffing must be better. Also notice the corner behind the neck it looks like someone got carried away with the sanding too.

I’ll keep everyone posted on the situation.

Thanks

what should we expect from a $1499 Gibson .

Well I would expect a hell of alot better than what I am seeing in some of these pics.

Not that I need more reasons but yet another feather in the cap of

"hold it play it see it smell it" before you buy it.

Never have, never will buy a guitar without touching it.

Well I would expect a hell of alot better than what I am seeing in some of these pics.

Not that I need more reasons but yet another feather in the cap of

"hold it play it see it smell it" before you buy it.

Never have, never will buy a guitar without touching it.

Yes that's your opinion and i respect that .Guitars are made by people and people are not perfect and a guitar is not perfect . I like both I love to go to Elderly's in Kzoo. Some real fine guitars there. And my 1980 LP was built in Kzoo I am 45 mins form there . So when this Kalamazoo came up i put my name on one . Is it perfect no but this one is nice. And they will get better .

Archived