Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown Kalamazoo

RRIDER

Yes that's your opinion and i respect that .Guitars are made by people and people are not perfect and a guitar is not perfect . I like both I love to go to Elderly's in Kzoo. Some real fine guitars there. And my 1980 LP was built in Kzoo I am 45 mins form there . So when this Kalamazoo came up i put my name on one . Is it perfect no but this one is nice. And they will get better .

Sorry Bro,, my intent was never to tell anyone how to spend their hard earned cash.

Rather, only my opinion of what I expect from a $1500 guitar,, of any brand,, not just Gibson.

And as you said, guitars are not perfect. That's why I like to find the best version that feels the best in my hands.

Remember,, what feels awesome in my hands,, may feel like crap in yours.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Gibson to delay orders another month out spells real issues with these I'm afraid. Not many postings of Glee over their guitars popping up here and elsewhere. I have seen one owner super pleased but many pics of bad finishes and paint jobs, snapped wood?

I have bought guitars without playing them ( knowing that some guitar store shredders haven't laid their greasy hands on it brings comfort) - I like the idea of me being the first to handle the guitar from the factory and have had great luck with Martin purchases.

I am super worried about my order of this guitar. I shoulda bought the Godin Kingpin II.

I received the other 2 Kalamazoos today and I must say that they are MUCH better as far as fit / finish goes. The 3 were approved 10/14/13, 10/29/13 and 10/30/13 (according to the booklet in the case) with the 10/29/13 one being the one with problems at the neck joint. The others look really good and I didn't see any immediate problems or cause for concern.

Just for Thomse ....

IMG_20131114_163044_298_zps5093c0da.jpg

IMG_20131114_163654_509_zps3352280e.jpg

...and a pic of the Gibson family, just for fun :)

IMG_20131114_164457_304_zpsfc45220c.jpg

(The left Kalamazoo neck looks a bit warped in the last pic because I had to take it in panorama mode on my phone and apparently was a wee bit shaky).

Interesting note ... the 2 I got from AMS were the 93rd and 96th instrument stamped on October 8th and the other one was the 32nd instrument stamped at the Nashville plant on September 19th.

Also of note, the 3 weights of the guitars are:

9 pounds, 6 oz.

8 pounds, 0.5 oz.

8 pounds, 1.5 oz.

I'm wondering why one of them weighs nearly a pound and a half more than the others ... I even re-weighed them 3 times and the heavy one is one of the Oct. 8th dated ones!

I received the other 2 Kalamazoos today and I must say that they are MUCH better as far as fit / finish goes. The 3 were approved 10/14/13, 10/29/13 and 10/30/13 (according to the booklet in the case) with the 10/29/13 one being the one with problems at the neck joint. The others look really good and I didn't see any immediate problems or cause for concern.

Just for Thomse ....

IMG_20131114_163654_509_zps3352280e.jpg

...and a pic of the Gibson family, just for fun :)

IMG_20131114_164457_304_zpsfc45220c.jpg

(The left Kalamazoo neck looks a bit warped in the last pic because I had to take it in panorama mode on my phone and apparently was a wee bit shaky).

Thanks for the picture of the three. And yes not all guitars weight the same . That is a lot of Kalmazoo you have there. The old saying is pick the best and sell the rest. You should come out ok.

Just for Thomse ....

First of all I am very jealous - I ordered mine September 28th and I still haven't heard when mine is shipping and you have 3 of them sitting there in your house [cursing]

Congratulations! [thumbup]

I am thrilled to hear that the last 2 you scored didn't have any finish issues! Hell mine's probably going to be number 300 and they should have it perfected by then [biggrin]

Seriously tho - get one of them honkers off the wall and get to playing son! :-({|= Thanks for sharing!!!

Those sure do look nice and that is good news. Shipped mine back yesterday. Hopefully I’ll get the replacement soon.

You will probably get your replacement before the rest of us get ours. Oddly enough, Zzounds and AMS show they have them in stock.

I don't understand how they have them in stock while other Gibson authorized dealers have not received any.

You will probably get your replacement before the rest of us get ours. Oddly enough, Zzounds and AMS show they have them in stock.

I don't understand how they have them in stock while other Gibson authorized dealers have not received any.

Wow! I just checked they shipped out the new one today Ill have it tomorrow. Ill post back with pics once i get it.

Thanks for the heads up!

Got my new one yesterday and I must say Zzounds did the right thing.

I very pleased with their customer service.

I shipped out the damaged one Thursday night; they shipped out the new one Friday and received it Saturday.

This one is flawless!

IMG_20131116_161928_210.jpg

IMG_20131116_161938_379.jpg

IMG_20131116_162308_551.jpg

IMG_20131116_162207_499.jpg

I am thinking of buying one of these new Gibsons but have a question for those of you who have been lucky to have actually played one. The pictures appear to be showing a guitar where the upper bout is a bit smaller than usual am I correct here? Also how does the body thickness compare to say the ES-350t? Thanks,jim in Maine

Got my new one yesterday and I must say Zzounds did the right thing.

I very pleased with their customer service.

I shipped out the damaged one Thursday night; they shipped out the new one Friday and received it Saturday.

This one is flawless!

IMG_20131116_161938_379.jpg/quote]

I'm glad you had a better experience this time. This one is a beauty!

Gibson and all dealers list these as having a rosewood fingerboard...In that pic it looks really dark, more like ebony. Can you tell what it is?

I'm glad you had a better experience this time. This one is a beauty!

Gibson and all dealers list these as having a rosewood fingerboard...In that pic it looks really dark, more like ebony. Can you tell what it is?

Thanks

it is Rosewood. I just cleaned and added a little lemon oil when I changed the strings from the 09's to 10's

Yeah I just emailed Steve at Wildwood Guitars to get an update - haven't heard back from him yet but I saw on the Musicians Friend website this message: "Reserve Today! Expected to Ship 11-11-2013". Sighhhhhh. This is why I haven't pre-ordered a guitar before this one.

"The waiting is the hardest part" (Tom Petty) [unsure]

True...I waited 2 months, on my Kirk Douglas SG Custom! But...It Was WAY Worth It!!! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I came to this site and began following this forum because of this guitar. I've only had one other Gibson, an es165 early 90s which I sold, but got sucked in by this Kalamazoo. Even after I realized it had no "arch" the GAS returned. I am informed mine will be here on Friday.

Any of you who've played it a while now have further impressions of the MTK?

Any of you who've played it a while now have further impressions of the MTK?

First off, welcome. [thumbup]

I've had mine about a week now. I played it at my church where I play on Sundays. I got complimented on the guitar's tone by several people -- none of which are guitar players -- they were just people who liked how it sounded. I LOVED how it sounded there in that large room. I played two songs, one over-driven and one clean, both sounded great to me even through my cheap Behringer AC112 Hybrid amp. The guitar has good clarity in both OD and clean.

As for the looks, my brother-in-law saw the guitar and loved the way it looks, especially complimentary of the finish. He works for a furniture company in the repair department, where one of his duties is patching damaged lacquer paint jobs.

Archived