Gibson Brands Forums

stretching strings

Sgt.

Best way to stretch strings?

I just put a new set on lp studio and have tuned up a semitone and just left the guitar in that tuning until I play it again. Hope it stretches the strings right.

The last set of med. Fender bullets pure nickels lasted forever because I don't break the .11 string anymore and although they lost they're luster, were they ever comfortable to play ... I didn't want to change them. Just used an Ernie Ball Wonder Wipe to clean the dirt of the old strings.

Tried pulling the strings when changing, but that comes close to breaking strings and I've done that before. This time tried leaving the guitar in a semitone up (F,A#,D#,G#,C,F) in hopes of stretching the new strings. Stretching is important so that the strings will stay in tune and also so that they lose that new string buzz a bit.

Guest Farnsbarns

I put my fingers underneath the strings and pull them up and away from the neck ever inch or so along their length. I think I'd be loosing finger tips before I snapped the string. The last time I snapped a string was probably over 15 years ago* and that would be because they were rusty and way past it.

*I snapped one on my resonator but I tightened it way way way to sharp as part of a silly experiment and it went, that was about a year old because the reso get's neglected.

I string up, stretch by tugging from around the 12th, retune, play a bit, tug around the 12th, retune and it's generally good to go until the guitar needs a regular retune.

I have a Planet Waves peg winder that has a notch in the handle for this very purpose of string tugging, works well and saves fingers :D

First, I string one at a time, bass to treble, unless I've broken a string which I haven't done since the early '70s.

After putting on a string, and sitting in a normal sort of playing position, I tilt the guitar toward my chest and take my left hand into a "hitch-hiking" position. I'll actually start near the bridge, brace the thumb on the strings and hook the fingers on the string with pressure opposite the thumb's pressure. Then I pivot my hand so the thumb is pushing away from my eyes as the fingers are pulling the string toward my eyes. I do that up the fingerboard every 3-4 inches or so. Retune and repeat until it stops detuning the instrument.

m

Yanking the strings up of the fingerboard to stretch them puts ridiculous amounts of undue stress on the neck, neck joint, and headstock.

Just hold the guitar in regular playing position and due some extreme normal bends on each string, re-tune, repeat as necessary. It will also help you learn to bend strings in both directions (push and pull), and increase hand strength.

Guest Farnsbarns

Yanking the strings up of the fingerboard to stretch them puts ridiculous amounts of undue stress on the neck, neck joint, and headstock.

Just hold the guitar in regular playing position and due some extreme normal bends on each string, re-tune, repeat as necessary. It will also help you learn to bend strings in both directions (push and pull), and increase hand strength.

I wouldn't have thought the direction of the stretch made any difference to the forces involved? I suppose if you were lifting the string off the nut and bridge but that would be going some.

I will pull on the string away from the fretboard with my thumb and forefinger starting around the bridge up to the nut, retune and repeat until the string stays in tune.

This.

I will tighten strings first, and of course, index finger goes under the string, and I'll have a cloth between fingers so I don't cut myself. I've actually cut cloth doing this, but running from bridge to nut, only two or thee times back and forth is sufficient.

Archived